Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 AM

11 posts, read 12,090 times

Advertisements

Parking Authority Vehicles Exempt from Motor Vehicle Laws?

What’s the problem with the Parking Authority’s “Officers”?

These “OFFICERS” are great at handing out parking tickets to vehicles in violation, but why can’t stop for red lights or stop signs?

Are they First Responders?

Absolutely not!

I’ve called the Parking Authority in the past and have even dealt with the Mayors Action Bureau, but the problem still exists.

Today I watched a Parking Authority Jeep blow thru the stop sign at Beach Street and Liberty Avenue while talking on his cell phone and I’d estimate his speed at well over 35 MPH.

Will it take the serious injury or death of another motorist or pedestrian for someone to slow these "OFFICERS" down?

I’ve always seen Jersey City Police or Sheriff’s Department vehicles come to a complete stop, so why can’t these “OFFICERS”?

I think it’s time that someone steps up and takes action before they kill someone.

Will it be JCPD?
The Mayor’s Office?
The Parking Authority?

Or just a private citizen?

My DVR has been gathering dust lately, so I guess it’s time to wire up the Beach Street and Liberty Avenue accident cam. I’m sure some lawyer would love to have a video of a city vehicle ending the life of some citizen crossing the street.

The bottom line?

Slow down stupid before you kill someone!

Tom Rowan
Jersey City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 03:14 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yeah this type of stuff happens all over the NYC area. I've seen plenty of cops do this. They'll blow thru red lights, speed, and turn without signaling.

What's up with this 2 tiered system of driving? There's one standard for the cops and another standard for everyone else? Where's the justice in that?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 49,378 times
My understanding is that they (JCPA) are not exempt from moving violations - they are not deemed emergency vehicles, but are when it comes to parking when issueing an infringement.

I also believe they should not be allowed to double park or go so slow to impede traffic as they note down licence plates - they should be on foot to do that.

If it 'burns you up' when this happens, get it on video and forward a copy to Police, City hall, the Media and the director of JCPA.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:22 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yeah he could do that (with the videotape and whatnot), but he could also end up with a busted pair of kneecaps. I'd go for keeping my kneecaps if I was in the same position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournian View Post
My understanding is that they (JCPA) are not exempt from moving violations - they are not deemed emergency vehicles, but are when it comes to parking when issueing an infringement.

I also believe they should not be allowed to double park or go so slow to impede traffic as they note down licence plates - they should be on foot to do that.

If it 'burns you up' when this happens, get it on video and forward a copy to Police, City hall, the Media and the director of JCPA.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 49,378 times
I would have thought that law enforcement officers are here to serve and protect and enforce the law? Is being exempt from scrutiny an unwritten law as well as the "we'll kneecap you" if you catch us breaking them, philosophy still apply? I would have throught law enforcement officers (regadless if your a parking officer or detective) are our most up standing legally, morally and ethically members of the community?
Maybe that was in a movie I once saw..........I guess you can send the tapes in anonymously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: