Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 PM

21 posts, read 162,323 times

Advertisements

started working at this job in August of 2007, worked there around 25-30 hours a week first few Months (Paid poorly). Was made full time around October, then became manager and got a raised in December of 2007. Ended up leaving in May of 2008 to become pool supervisor because the pay was much much better, and hours were much higher.(So I get a lot of OT) But this Job will end in September because the pools close after the summer is over then start back up in May.
So my question is, if I were accepted for Unemployment after I get laid off in sept. how would they calculate my pay? Would it be 60% of what I made since 2008 started, or would it go way back to last year when I wasn't making nearly as much?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,885 times
You're not eligible for unemployment. You left first job on your own (you weren't dismissed or forced out due to reduction in force). The pool job didn't last 26 weeks (the number of weeks you must work in order to be eligible for unemployment). Pools and camps are seasonal, you knew this when you took the position, therefore they don't have to pay unemployment when the "season" is finished. You need to find another job.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:15 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
Here's a good question...can teachers collect unemployment during the summer months when they aren't getting paid? I've heard of a few bus drivers collecting during the summer and was curious if teachers do this as well?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 AM

21 posts, read 162,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
You're not eligible for unemployment. You left first job on your own (you weren't dismissed or forced out due to reduction in force). The pool job didn't last 26 weeks (the number of weeks you must work in order to be eligible for unemployment). Pools and camps are seasonal, you knew this when you took the position, therefore they don't have to pay unemployment when the "season" is finished. You need to find another job.
well first you are wrong in a cpl areas...its not you have to work at one job for 26 weeks, its as long as u worked for 26 weeks you are eligible, and if you didn't I believe you have to make at least 7,200 dollars - Which i have done at this job anyway. I gotten unemployment few years ago when I quit one job, then got fired for a false reason at other job after only being there one month.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM

87 posts, read 351,761 times
I believe as a teacher, if you are under contract, you are not eligible. However, if one district opts not to renew and you're looking for a job at another district, you are in fact eligible, even if you get the job before September. My sister just went through this.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Here's a good question...can teachers collect unemployment during the summer months when they aren't getting paid? I've heard of a few bus drivers collecting during the summer and was curious if teachers do this as well?
No, they can not. I have a few teacher friends who don't know how to budget and bemoan this every year
Except in the case like the above post

Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 AM

46 posts, read 153,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sorry OT. But since it was brought up..........

This is one I looked into, being it's one of the jobs I can go into when I move to NJ. In very few cases you can. But being that you are still under contract, thus still gainfully employed by that school system you aren't eligible.

However.......Teachers can choose between higher pay monthly (during the school year) and no pay in the summer months, or get paid less (during the school year) and get paid a percentage of what they make during the school year for the summer. Not sure which schools/districts/etc. offer this, but it is possible to do it this way to help keep some kind of income coming in throughout the summer months.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,238 times
Please don't think I'm being a jerk or condescending, because I'm really not trying to be...

But if you know you're going to be out of a job and have at least a month to look, why are you worrying more about unemployment than looking for a new job? The end of summer is a great time to look for jobs with all the summer help going back to school. You can get a gig bartending, or even a temp office job.

I mean, I'd start worrying about unemployment in like, 2 weeks. Not now.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 AM

148 posts, read 639,286 times
Look into it for yourself b/c i have heard conflicting things about situations like this. A friend of mine was working as a temp and when her contract came to an end she said she was able to get unemployment but i have heard from others that if your contract ends and you were not technically fired your not eligible

Old 08-01-2008, 12:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
i have heard from others that if your contract ends and you were not technically fired your not eligible
i hope thats true, else there would be lots of people taking seasonal jobs and then enjoying a few months off other responsible tax payers money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey