Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,786 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved to the NJ/NYC area. As of now I am staying in Manhattan near times square in my companies corporate hotel. Coming from a college town in Florida, I have decided this is too much excitement for me already in that area. I will be working out of an office in Times Square as well as the Prudential Center in downtown Newark. I am not here foreever so I am looking to rent an apartment in the area of Madison, Summit, CHatham or SHorthills. Those towns all seem to be on the PATH system (Midtown Train)??? that heads into manhattan and Newark. I was wondering if anyone could lend some local knowledge into this area of New Jersey.

I am 23 yrs old, so I would still like to be around a younger generational gap. Shopping, Restaurants, Transportation, safety, entertainment etc. I am leaning towards Madison or Chatham. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. I am not married and no Kids, so cost of living is not a problem, schools also don't really affect my decision. I LOVE the city here in NYC, especially the Hell's Kitchen area... I LOVE MY FOOD.

I have an Italian background, I have talked to Apartment Realtors and that seems to be a big deal in the madison area atleast. Also: any insider info on available apartments or GREAT complexes in the area is also appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by WorksForDevils; 10-09-2007 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
The towns you mentioned are all pretty much, "family towns". Summit probably has the closest thing to a night life that a single person would like.
Hoboken, Montclair, or Morristown might be a better choice. Morristown would be more of a commute though.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,911 times
Agree with eskmd. Those are really amazing towns to live in. I especially love Chatham. But these are the suburbs and Short Hills, for example doesen't have any apts. Millburn does which is next door. Madison, with Fairleigh and the College of St. Elizabeth nearby may be a consideration, but given your background and love of food Hoboken or Montclair sound ideal.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM

8 posts, read 20,924 times
Hoboken is the closest town to Manhattan as ou can get... I live right by hoboken about 5 minutes away... its got shops restaurants and night clubs like u wouldnt believe...
the Path station gets u to 33rd st in 10 minutes. and to SUmmit in about 40 minutes straight one way..
Summit is more family oriented than anything else... Nothing much to do there....lot of cute women though i'd say.. Ive worked in that town as welll so
hoboken is a costly town to live in though...save up.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,164 times
Check out Hoboken. great city for singles, lots of manhatten professionals, easy commute to midtown. you can also get a train and "reverse commute" to Newark. Chatham, madison and Millburn/Short Hills are bedroom communities for NY commuters especially Wall Street. Although Madison is a 'college town' also having Drew University, Farleigh Dickinson and Collge of St Elizabeth (actually in neighboring town). A few hang out taverns but very low key.
check out Hoboken. check Craig's list for apartments and people looking for roomamtes if you would considre that. since your not going to be long it could be a good way to keep costs down and not be locked in to a long term comittment.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
Go to Red Bank in Monmouth county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey