Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM

56 posts, read 230,960 times

Advertisements

So with 95k a year we should be alright (this is what they offered my husband)?! I hope eventually to start working as well, once the baby is no lomger a baby.

Thanks for your assessment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaella View Post
So with 95k a year we should be alright (this is what they offered my husband)?! I hope eventually to start working as well, once the baby is no lomger a baby.

Thanks for your assessment
I'd think you'll be OK- provided that you aren't coming over with massive student debt, credit card bills, car payments, etc.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 PM

123 posts, read 568,443 times
I love NJ and everything about it.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegeguy12 View Post
I love NJ and everything about it.
I agree, agree, agree. Can't wait to move back; I even get nostalgic when I see a Monopoly board.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:12 PM

18 posts, read 57,512 times
Hubby & I relocated to NC for his job... needless to say, we can't wait until we move back to NJ!! Can I just say that Southern people are not THAT friendly? Southern hospitality extends to transplants FROM the south... not NE. Ppl in NJ or NY are more conversational and simply friendly, and diversity is key, I think. Aaahhh, I really miss NJ/NY/PA. Cost of homes can't be beat in the south, but I'd rather be in NJ where I have friends and familiy, than removed in a huge house in NC. Hubby is actively looking for a job in NJ.. wish us luck! Love NJ. haha

Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd think you'll be OK- provided that you aren't coming over with massive student debt, credit card bills, car payments, etc.
We did just fine on $65K/year, *with* student debt, credit card bills, car payments and of course the ubiquitous etc. Just so's ya know...sure it can be done on $95K/year.

ETA: Oh, and I did have a 401K via profit sharing through my company. I'm figuring that's part of the "etc." based on people's previous posts. Since we moved I am now moving the money to another retirement holding.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 PM

20 posts, read 140,583 times
you really said it perfectly. coming from conneticut and having lived in the midwest for a decade or so, you are right--

jersey is truely worth the taxes. When you are paying next to nothing in taxes, you are probably living in and around much.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S & M View Post
Hubby & I relocated to NC for his job... needless to say, we can't wait until we move back to NJ!! Can I just say that Southern people are not THAT friendly? Southern hospitality extends to transplants FROM the south... not NE. Ppl in NJ or NY are more conversational and simply friendly, and diversity is key, I think. Aaahhh, I really miss NJ/NY/PA. Cost of homes can't be beat in the south, but I'd rather be in NJ where I have friends and familiy, than removed in a huge house in NC. Hubby is actively looking for a job in NJ.. wish us luck! Love NJ. haha
Actually, I can relate. I lived in Charlotte after college for six years and while I made some friends and had a reasonably good time, I moved back to NJ and never looked back. The decision was more due to career advancement but I had my fill of Charlotte. I think the Southern hospitality thing is a bit overblown. I think northeastern folk are more outgoing and conversational in general and the South is clearly on a lower level in everything that matters.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
So are you ladies telling me not to move?

Old 02-16-2008, 12:57 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S & M View Post
!

Everyone here thinks I'm nuts when I say that people here are by far friendlier than the area I'm from.

Most people will give you dirty looks if you even say hello to them when passing on the sidewalk, or in a store, etc. in my city. I've always gotten a smile and hello back (maybe even a "How are you?" thrown here and there) here in NJ.

Just tonight, I was eating dinner alone, and a man from another table (with another person) invited me over to eat with them. I politely declined. But it's stuff like that. Plus one of the best things to listen to is a New Jerseyan speak. Even if they don't have an "accent". I've found most of you are extremely inspirational/motivational, and have this "air" in the way you present yourselves and the way you speak. I absolutely love it.

Of course, everywhere has its parts.

I just think NJ's the best fit.

Florida has nice parts - that are friendly...
but you pretty much have to go to a small community to even attempt the feel. Also, the larger cities might be nice to you...if they think you're a tourist.

I haven't moved here quite yet, but I've been visiting the area over the span of 6 months (I'm actually supposed to leave today ). Even when I first started coming, the people knew I wasn't from the area, but were still extremely courteous/friendly. Now that I've been here more, most of them know me.

I've made more friends here in the short while I've been coming, than I have in the past 9 years of living where I'm currently at.

I just fall more and more for NJ (call me crazy. I absolutely love it here, and will say it 100x over) each time I come up. I'm hoping to finally make the move sometime in May or June (preferably May) - or, if that's not possible, sometime before mid-August.

I suppose that's enough rambling about how much I love NJ - I'm sure some posters are getting tired of listening to me talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey