Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 05:07 PM
nrp nrp started this thread

3 posts, read 5,398 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

My first message here hoping I can get some directions and help.

I'm relocating with my family to New Jersey, to work in Rutheford.

I know nothing about NJ and would appreciate any suggestion on where to live. We have two little ones still in kindergarten. A nice family oriented area would be the best.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

NRP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 05:58 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,694 times
renting or buying? budget for housing? Rutherford is a nice town.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM

Thanks for your help.

I guess renting at this moment. At least for one year, to make sure I like the place.

I was thinking about something in Bergen County, but I guess it will be more expensive, right?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM

526 posts, read 1,392,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp View Post
Thanks for your help.

I guess renting at this moment. At least for one year, to make sure I like the place.

I was thinking about something in Bergen County, but I guess it will be more expensive, right?
Yep, more expensive. you pay for proximity to the city.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Tanks,

So, for someone who works in Rutherford, what would be your suggestions? I know nothing about the area. Any hint is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 24,093 times
Default Well

The best town you could possibly get to live in very close to Rutherford is definitely Nutley. It's extremely close to NYC and is a five minute drive from Rutherford. It's one of the safest towns in New Jersey- there are so many cops it's not even funny. The people are extremely nice and I've never felt more of a sense of community here.

The houses are absolutely beautiful. It's not like a mansion-type place, but what's unique about this town is that there's no one style seen here. You see as many Spanish Colonials as you see Dutch Colonials and Victorians. This is, in short, a very, very pretty town...commuting fom NYC every day, it's also amazing seeing the difference in air quality in between the two places- there are so many trees in Nutley that the whole town smells wonderful.

And also, this is generally a middle-class town, with many upper and upper-middle class residents as well- most of whom who grew up in Nutley middle class and continued living here.

However, there are three things here:

- Nutley is very, VERY Italian. It's not the kind of place where you see all kids walking around in tank tops (or guinea tees, the slur version) but if you're uncomfortable about Italian-American culture then this isn't the place for you. There's also a sizable number of the Irish and Polish Americans and Asians, but the culture of the town is very Italian.

- Families have been living here for generations. This is the kind of place where family ties run deep. This is not the kind of place where everyone is anonymous...if you're simply looking for a place to commute from, this is not it.

- There is a high demand for houses in Nutley. The market never really inflated like it did in other towns- there were never, and there still aren't, many houses for sale here.

Last edited by unickuta; 09-26-2008 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey