Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 05:18 PM
EWR EWR started this thread

3 posts, read 5,528 times

Advertisements

Two big life events going on. Divorce and transfer at work to Newark from Boston. I don't get any relocation assistance from work with the transfer.

For work I need to get to Newark Airport once or twice a week. I don't mind a drive of up to one and a half hours. Public transport isn't important. I have no clue about the area outside of the airport.

I prefer somewhere quiet, suburban to semi rural. Safe area suitable for a single white female.

Rent I'd like to pay is up to $1500 for a one bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 05:47 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
Two big life events going on. Divorce and transfer at work to Newark from Boston. I don't get any relocation assistance from work with the transfer.

For work I need to get to Newark Airport once or twice a week. I don't mind a drive of up to one and a half hours. Public transport isn't important. I have no clue about the area outside of the airport.

I prefer somewhere quiet, suburban to semi rural. Safe area suitable for a single white female.

Look south of Newark rather than north for semi-rural and pricing.

Monmouth County might be good, as you have the shore towns on the eastern side of the country and semi-rural more inland, and about an hour's drive to EWR. You could make your rent, too. I am currently living in Long Branch, which has the ocean, and I'm paying $1400 for a two-bedroom.

I'm partial to the ocean, though. If you prefer woods, look inland.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Long Branch sounds like just the thing. Thanks v much.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:34 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Also, the North Jersey Coast Line has a stop at EWR's Airtrain station where you can pick up the monorail into the airport, just in case driving was a problem for some reason. I have a work connection to EWR, too, and have to go there occasionally myself, although I haven't used the train to get there so far.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 PM

129 posts, read 380,535 times
Union, Springfield, Summit, Westfield, Rahway (some areas), Clark, Iselin, Edison, Metuchen, Mountainside, Scotch Plains, North Plainfield.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks. I've been looking at apartments online but it's so hard to get a feel for a place from just that. I'll try to wrangle some time off and drive up from Boston for a few days.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
One thing I have sometimes suggested if you have a reasonably fast pc is to fly around an area using one of the various web map sites to get a feel for neighborhoods and towns. Many of them allow you to zoom into streets and blocks, etc.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post

There are a few rentals in Rahway that would meet your needs
near the colonia border which is a good area
feel free to e-mail me and i will send you the listings , but you should take a trip down to see the different areas you will be looking in but just leave your RED SOX hat at home (only kidding)

Last edited by BrianG; 12-14-2009 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: add on

Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 AM

226 posts, read 859,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Look south of Newark rather than north for semi-rural and pricing.

Monmouth County might be good, as you have the shore towns on the eastern side of the country and semi-rural more inland, and about an hour's drive to EWR. You could make your rent, too. I am currently living in Long Branch, which has the ocean, and I'm paying $1400 for a two-bedroom.

I'm partial to the ocean, though. If you prefer woods, look inland.
You could also check out west of Newark for safe, semi rural inland small towns, Clinton, Flemington etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey