Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 10,793 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I got a job offer in midtown NYC and am planning to move to NJ with my fiance who currently works in downtown Philly.

I will rely on train service and hope to control the commute time within 1 hour. My fiance has more flexbile working schedule and thus could bear with a bit longer travel. He plans to drive to Trenton and then hop on a train to Philly.

Will Edison/Woodbridge in Middlesex county a good choice for us? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your advise in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 AM

8 posts, read 37,101 times
There are many good places to look for in New Jersey, but that all depends on your monthly budget. You can also look for places in Morris County in northern New Jersey, (Parsippany, Morristown, Livingston, Florham Park...etc) many nice places, are you looking to rent an apt or actually buy a house?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,793 times
Default Plan to buy a condo/townhouse with budget less than $400k

We are planning to buy a 2-3 br, 2ba condo/townhouse with budget of 350k to 400k, but as I mentioned earlier, i will be working in nyc while my fiance needs to travel to downtown philly on a daily basis.

Will Edison/piscataway/woodbridge area on the Northeastern Corridor Line be our only choice? My fiance is willing to driving to Trenton and then take the train. But I will fully rely on public transportation.

Thanks,

Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 PM

170 posts, read 962,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracleseeker View Post
Will Edison/piscataway/woodbridge area on the Northeastern Corridor Line be our only choice? My fiance is willing to driving to Trenton and then take the train. But I will fully rely on public transportation.

Thanks,
The NorthEast Corridor line in the only line that runs to Trenton/Philly. You would need to go to the MetroPark station to get that train.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 PM

202 posts, read 993,040 times
Why not the West Windsor/Princeton area? The train ride from Princeton Junction to NYC would be 50-60 mins.

Whatever you decide, given your situation, I would definitely recommend living somewhere along the NE Corridor line from Princeton up through Edison.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,289 times
Thumbs up Try Metuchen..!!!

Metuchen is right on the NE corridor line and its a very nice place to live depending on your budget. The train station is right around the corner and its a very safe area...hope this helps just my $0.02

Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 PM

859 posts, read 3,322,182 times
I would say Woodbridge is a little too north for the Philly commuter. I'd say Princeton, Plainsboro, Hamilton, Robbinsville, Cranbury, Jamesburg, West Windsor are more "smack in the middle".

Old 02-10-2007, 11:41 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,892 times
I would recommend Plainsboro or somewhere close to the Princeton Junction station. From there an express train to NYC is about an hour, and you could either drive (15 mins) into Trenton to take SEPTA to Philly or just drive to Philly in about 1.5 hours (considering some traffic).

If you like a town square atmoshpere vs more suburban one, Princeton is nice. But this will making driving to Trenton more difficult (route 206 is a mess), and would add 10 min to the NYC commute.

A final option is to live somewhere nice near Trenton and just take the train together from there. It's only 1hr10min on most express trains from Trenton to NYPenn, and from Trenton you could also go directly to Philly. Some of the towns across from Trenton on the PA side of the river are beautiful and cheaper than much of NJ. I particularly recommend Langhorne, Newtown, and Yardley. Many of these towns also have their own SEPTA stop direct to Phillly.

I wouldn't really go north of the Princeton Junction area though--otherwise the commute to Philly may be extremely difficult (2hr+ each way with the traffic on 1, getting into Trenton, and taking the train).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey