Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 09:36 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,960,462 times

Advertisements

Renting Makes More Financial Sense Than Homeownership - Yahoo! Real Estate--

I found this funny because I was thinking of my grandfather today. When he'd tell me "Oh, owning a house is nice, but there is a lot to be said for renting too my dear..." I just repeated that line to my b-i-l who rents... as I was rattling off how miserable I am about recent plumbing costs... I said "I miss the day of calling my landlord and saying 'it's broke, please fix-it!"

Then I come home and see this.

Just wanted your thoughts, but don't get me wrong... I'm not selling. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,166,049 times
oh - there are definitely advantages. We are renting now, and it's kind of nice to be able to tell our landlord to take care of the termite problem... or take care of the plumbing problem... but then I hear the loud music of our upstairs neighbor... and I realize I want to own again.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,637,277 times
It all depends on the cost of housing. Certainly, during the real estate bubble, and to the extent that certain areas of the country (many will say NY-metro among them) have not gotten through the bubble yet, it makes more sense to rent than to own.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:02 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,960,462 times
If I could have been guaranteed that I could have kept my old apartment indefinately, I think I would have stayed forever.

We rented in a nice - not fancy - but safe and decent town. Two family house. The owner was Greek and lived in Greece 6-9 monts of the year. He just wanted people he liked and trusted living in his home. The fact that I am 1/2 Greek had him all giddy... so we got the place. Stayed there for a long time and my rent went up marginally just once. I was paying (SIT PLEASE) $850 WITH Utilities for a 3 BR apt. A BIG NICE 3 BR apt. I would have stayed forever if I could have! But I knew that the dream would end one day. Then when the kids came along, well, we wanted a pet (no pets there) and a yard, etc.... etc....

But there are days I think wow, I wish I was back there! LOL!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:08 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,329,539 times
I want to own, I really do, and one day I will. But now I can afford to rent the type of place I feel I may never be able to afford to own.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:35 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,049,476 times
I think at the moment for young people it is best to rent and save up for buying later. My husband and I are waiting until we have at least 40k to buy anything.. half way there already Want to make sure we have the 20% And if the economy gets bad, we have a nice emergency fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey