Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,029 times

Advertisements

Hello All

Me and my wife are looking to buy on first townhome in nice communities/towns that are commutable from Princeton, NJ (my workplace) and Secaucus, NJ (my wife's workplace). We are thinking of Edison, Woodbridge, Metuchen areas as they are midway from Princeton and Secaucus are right on New Jersey Turpike and Route 1. However, we are but are definitely flexible and open to suggestions.

Here are our criteria:

Bedrooms : 2/3 Bedrooms
Bathrooms : 2 full bathrooms
Garage : Nice to have
Basement : Nice to have
Square footage : 1600 to 1800 square feet
Budget : upto 350,000 dollars
School District : Decent

We looked at 2 and 3 bedroom condos at the Centreplace community at Edison but felt that they were on the expensive side given what they were offering.

Your suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
I can help find you a townhouse. From one first time homebuyer to another, (who just bought a townhouse himself) I think you should rein in your expectations a bit. You're not going to find something that big less than 5 years old for under 350 in Middlesex county.

Now, here's another thing to consider when you're buying...

Do you have kids NOW? Are you currently trying? Or are they still a ways away?

Don't forget, if you don't have kids and aren't expecting yet, they are not going to step foot into a school until at least six years after closing. You may be at a point where this whole crisis has worked itself out and you want to sell. Remember - the Great Depression "only" lasted 10 years.

Try this: MLS 5414972. $320, 3BR, 2.5 BA, 3 floors.

It's in the Hampshire, a community in Plainsboro. Fantastic schools (West Windsor-Plainsboro) so-so taxes, Great commute for you, about 50 minutes for the wife. (Plainsboro is 5-10mins away from Exit 8A of the turnpike.)

Yes, the inside is dated, but I'm saving you 30k that can be used on renovations. I know it's a bit far for the wife, but the turnpike is right there...

Old 10-02-2008, 08:56 AM

98 posts, read 175,256 times
Check out MLS #818992 on 21 Giggleswick Way which is in a great North Edison location with the JP Stevens school district. Listed for 379k, I know that the age is more than you want but the size is huge and is in great condition, as I've seen the inside. It has 3.5 baths, 3 bedrooms, finished basement, as well as both a family & living rooms! I think its great value and location for the money since it puts you right between Princeton & Secaucus in a very good school district and easy commute from Metropark should you ever need to go to New York City.

Another listing, MLS #904239 in the Village Pointe community of North Edison fits more into your age criteria and is listed for 358k with 3 beds/2.5 baths and a garage.

Also just to let you know, either of these communities does have a very heavy Asian Indian presence. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,685 times
Cranberry

Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Cranberry

1) It's Cranbury.

2) If you can find a townhouse, hell, ANYTHING in Cranbury that doesn't need work for less than 350, I'll seriously let you slap me in the face and call me Suzy.

Trust me. I looked. I would love to live there. But you ain't finding anything outside of complete down-to-the-studs renovation jobs there for less than 400.

And before you pull an MLS search, the props you're pulling for less than 400 are 55+ living.

(edit: and BTW, there is some areas of Cranbury that are actually East Windsor, and East Windsor schools are not as good as Cranbury, and taxes are a little to a lot worse)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey