Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:54 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, but maybe I missed the memo that said the Stock Market gains are guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,592 times
This crash is like no other.. In my opinion, all accounts will be losers in the stock market. I am pulling out all money. Although this is what will cause more of a lose for everyone else, well, I was not the cause of it.
Take it all out while you still have some money left. Our stock market is worthless, just like our dollar.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
This crash is like no other.. In my opinion, all accounts will be losers in the stock market. I am pulling out all money. Although this is what will cause more of a lose for everyone else, well, I was not the cause of it.
Take it all out while you still have some money left. Our stock market is worthless, just like our dollar.
Bad idea! Ride it out... long term you will be fine!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:45 PM

323 posts, read 575,650 times
the old saying is ,when everyone is selling ,buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:45 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
If you believe that our dollar is worthless, than this is your guy.

YouTube - Hal Turner Shows New AMERO Currency

Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,912,740 times
This is the perfect time to invest if you have the cash. Do you realize how many people got rich off of the 1987 crash? I say Buy Buy Buy. The market has almost bottomed out and stocks can only go up from here.

The market is finally coming down to the real world, just like the housing market.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,851 times
My IRA was up 3.5% today.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
My Dad is 63 and he said he's not a bit worried. I find that scary.
Maybe he only does everything secure, like us. no stock. Our 401k, Pension Plan, Savings, all secure. I just never felt comfortable with the stock Market.
I once had some Money for my kids education in Wachovia Evergreen Funds, and they keep going down, when the 3 years were up to renew, they jumped back up, plus $35. At least I did not lose, and went back to a CD.

Diane G

Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 AM

505 posts, read 1,763,026 times
Quote:

Don't look now, but the dollar is actually getting stronger against the Euro.

As for it being a crash like no other, check out the crrashes of 1929 and 1975. The markets in those two instances contracted by 75% and 40% respectively while compared to the market as compared to 2000, it is only down 25%.

I agree that soon will be the time to buy. I know it's impossible to time the market, but it will come back and you have the chance to make a lot of money. A lot of this down days are fueled by fear.

I think America is coming to grips with a very painful reality about living within your means. For years now it has been up, up, up and more money and people get used to that real quick and have very short memories. People need to start realizing that the days of getting a new leased BMW every 3 years might not be an option, taking out equity in your home to by another home or getting little Sally the new cell phone she saw on 90210 might not be options. We have been drunk on credit for too long and we just got a bucket of cold water thrown on us.

Add to that- this is an election year, which is the worst time for something like this to happen. You know why? Because Washington is too interested in doing whats popular than doing whats right.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
Don't look now, but the dollar is actually getting stronger against the Euro.

As for it being a crash like no other, check out the crrashes of 1929 and 1975. The markets in those two instances contracted by 75% and 40% respectively while compared to the market as compared to 2000, it is only down 25%.

I agree that soon will be the time to buy. I know it's impossible to time the market, but it will come back and you have the chance to make a lot of money. A lot of this down days are fueled by fear.

I think America is coming to grips with a very painful reality about living within your means. For years now it has been up, up, up and more money and people get used to that real quick and have very short memories. People need to start realizing that the days of getting a new leased BMW every 3 years might not be an option, taking out equity in your home to by another home or getting little Sally the new cell phone she saw on 90210 might not be options. We have been drunk on credit for too long and we just got a bucket of cold water thrown on us.

Add to that- this is an election year, which is the worst time for something like this to happen. You know why? Because Washington is too interested in doing whats popular than doing whats right.
Rep for you

I saw the same thing with the dollar v. euro and thought it was wrong.

You're right, this is being fueled by panic. The media has sensationalized the events to the point of mass hysteria. I think if they would just shut up for a while, things may settle a little. It's all you see and all you hear. I, for one am tired of being depressed from hearing it over and over.

This is where all of you are going to accuse me of wearing my tin foil hat too tight, but I think we are going to see an investigation into this all of a sudden severe downturn in the markets and find that there is some really bad crap going on that will brush on a conspiracy theory. It will not surprise me in the least and I'll be looking for it.

It sure seems strange to me that during an election year, there is this lack of confidence. History shows that election years tend to cause people to get hopeful. Wonder why this one is SO different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey