Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

EEEPNJ,

You can do this..just hang in there. You've received excellent tips in the above posts.
especially try gating him off in a kitchen, somewhere the clean up is easier

An unneutered male is "marking" his territory...get him neutered asap..remember this is all new to him

I can tell when my dog has to poop her anus expands and contracts..may be hard to see in a fluff ball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
If he is not neutered this is why! He is marking his territory! He needs to be neutered. Also it takes time and patience, If you do not have this then a dog or any pet is not for you. Especially a rescue who has not had the best past life or lives. Did you ever have a dig before?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Not REMOTELY. I am practically in tears...actually I was in tears before becaue I'm off today the dog was walked - LONG walks over 6 times and he STILL wet in the house FIVE TIMES.

I called my Mom hysterical saying that I am a fool, I can't handle this, I'm going to check myself into Bergen Pines... so on and so forth. Someone should have done this to me . Now Mom will go and tell the whole family I've lost my mind which is not really INcorrect, but still..... they don't need to know since I'm more together than 98% of them!

Now my youngest, who has told me she does not like the dog becase a) he likes me more than her and b) she thinks I like him more than her ran to her room crying that I'm getting rid of the dog. I did not say that, but she put 2 and 2 together and got 6.

I am PISSED at the rescue though because they were not quite truthful on a few things and they are giving me grief about some other issues (like getting him NEUTERED which I paid for.)

I need a drink......
Add to that some medication.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
If he IS marking, remember that those male hormones take about a month to dissipate after he's neutered....

Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
EEEPNJ,

You can do this..just hang in there. You've received excellent tips in the above posts.
especially try gating him off in a kitchen, somewhere the clean up is easier

An unneutered male is "marking" his territory...get him neutered asap..remember this is all new to him

I can tell when my dog has to poop her anus expands and contracts..may be hard to see in a fluff ball
You never cease to make me laugh, the things you come out with lol

Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Add to that some medication.
Have any you are willing to share?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 AM

He is not neutered because the rescue gave him to us not neutered and told me to bring him back to have the process done (The $300 adoption fee covers this). Well, yes, it's only been 6 days but they have NOT called me with a date yet! I am calling again today. (I have to use their dr.) I can just go to my vet, but that would be another $300 and frankly that's a lot for me to eat right now. You see why I've not been loving the rescue I worked with.

I called Petsmart and we're going to do some basic training classes. My Vet reccommends crate training him until this is resolved. I am calling the rescue and saying I want a Date TODAY or I want part of the $ back (yeah right....) so I can get the dog neutered through my vet.

I have had dogs, only female dogs, now I think I know why. LOL

I have time and patience, but both are in limited supply. I have to do what's best for the dog, but also what is best for me and my family - I LOVE animals trust me. But I will never be one of those "the dog is more important than my daughter" people. I love the dog, we all consider him family. But he's not my daughter. I'm sure I'll get supporters and opponents on that one, but it is what it is. This dog was almost euthanised, came from an abusive and neglectful background and I am giving him lots of love and attention and a good, happy home. I know training is part of it. I have to give it time, but I hope we get there in the end. Because I don't mind the occassional accident, but I"m not living in a toilet either.

I talked to my cousin who is very good w/ things...her 3 yr old poodle is a doll. She said she absoloutely did not bond with the dog for the first 6 mos. She said she viewed him as a pain in the ass that was just giving her more work and responsibility and she resented her husband, her father, and kids because it was all falling on her. But after they got past that hump, she adores him now, and they all do. I think I need to get past the hump. I love him already, but I just feel like "WHERE IS BERGEN PINES" these days.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Crate training: Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
He is not neutered because the rescue gave him to us not neutered and told me to bring him back to have the process done (The $300 adoption fee covers this). Well, yes, it's only been 6 days but they have NOT called me with a date yet! I am calling again today. (I have to use their dr.) I can just go to my vet, but that would be another $300 and frankly that's a lot for me to eat right now. You see why I've not been loving the rescue I worked with.

I called Petsmart and we're going to do some basic training classes. My Vet reccommends crate training him until this is resolved. I am calling the rescue and saying I want a Date TODAY or I want part of the $ back (yeah right....) so I can get the dog neutered through my vet.

I have had dogs, only female dogs, now I think I know why. LOL

I have time and patience, but both are in limited supply. I have to do what's best for the dog, but also what is best for me and my family - I LOVE animals trust me. But I will never be one of those "the dog is more important than my daughter" people. I love the dog, we all consider him family. But he's not my daughter. I'm sure I'll get supporters and opponents on that one, but it is what it is. This dog was almost euthanised, came from an abusive and neglectful background and I am giving him lots of love and attention and a good, happy home. I know training is part of it. I have to give it time, but I hope we get there in the end. Because I don't mind the occassional accident, but I"m not living in a toilet either.

I talked to my cousin who is very good w/ things...her 3 yr old poodle is a doll. She said she absoloutely did not bond with the dog for the first 6 mos. She said she viewed him as a pain in the ass that was just giving her more work and responsibility and she resented her husband, her father, and kids because it was all falling on her. But after they got past that hump, she adores him now, and they all do. I think I need to get past the hump. I love him already, but I just feel like "WHERE IS BERGEN PINES" these days.
I know right now you feel overwhelmed w/ it all but it will pass. If I were you, the first thing that I'd do is have a family sit down/meeting and speak to everyone together about what's going to take for this to work in order for everyone to be on the same page and so you won't feel that it's all falling on you. I'm sure you've heard it from many, but it's worth repeating, in the end, the unconditional love the dog gives you is worth the tears you may be shedding right now.

Now, here's a kleenex, wipe the snot of your nose, clean your ears, take the morning crust off your eyes, take a nice hot bath, put some nice music on, a nice glass of wine and put the shower massage on full throttle (Hope that helps) LOL

Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks Viramld...

And thanks Alex. Great advise, but I'm at work today - boss would not approve. DH is home today so he has doggie...have not heard from DH. I think the Doggie has him in a choke hold! This may be all worth while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: