Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:07 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times

Advertisements

Let's post our favorite little local places that many would not know of. I got the idea after visiting one for the first time the other day while out running some errands. I went to

Fairmount Eats on Main in Hackensack.
LOVED IT.
Great food, reasonable prices, simply and tastefully decorated, wonderful friendly service, and an edible orchid on each plate! LOVED it. I will be back!

Any others out there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Let's post our favorite little local places that many would not know of. I got the idea after visiting one for the first time the other day while out running some errands. I went to

Fairmount Eats on Main in Hackensack.
LOVED IT.
Great food, reasonable prices, simply and tastefully decorated, wonderful friendly service, and an edible orchid on each plate! LOVED it. I will be back!

Any others out there....
Where is this place? What kind of food? I might know the place you are talking about, and if it's the same place I have a few friends who gave very positive reviews.

For me -- and I'll stick to Hackensack -- for sushi, Miyoshi (on Mercer St. between Main and State). Small place, not extremely well known. Family owned and operated, good food, very good sushi, and many people consider it cheap -- primarily because it's not a fancy, upscale kind of place. Don't expect great service, but it's bearable, LOL.

Great thread.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the tip because I LOVE Sushi and I'm picky about where I'll eat it.
On the sushi note, I LOVE Maguro Sushi in Rochelle Park - but that is take out only. But man, is it GOOD.

Fairmount is at 641 Main St. in Hackensack. It's "sort of" behind the Target - it you are at D&W bakery or Lazy Lannigan's, it's across the street. It's quite good, the website is not so great though (Italian Restaurant, Homemade Desserts. Hackensack, NJ). I didn't view it as "Italian" even though it had Italian food.

To me, it was like Diner Fare, but better. I had on open faced turkey sandwich (a particular favorite of mine) and it was delicious. Homemade mashies...YUM. The seafood bisque was DELICIOUS. My companions had a roast beef sandwich (delicious) and then there is the one friend who never branches out from CHICKEN FINGERS but even they were very good. The ice cream, the VANILLA ICE CREAM, was just great. And you don't get to say that often! LOL!

When I left I told them what a lovely experience it was - the waitress COULD NOT have been friendlier and was the perfect balance of being helpful but not overbearing. The other servers seemed to follow that lead. They were very appreciative and told me they do deliver. I don't live "near" it per se, but they said "Oh, we go to most of Bergen County." Well, you betcha I took the menu home! LOL!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,483 times
Got it. I think I know the place. I thought it was called something else, or I might be confusing it with another place. It's not the old diner, is it?

Anyway, I'll try it for lunch next time I am nearby. Thanks.

I don't know Maguro, but if I ever need take-out I'll give it a shot. I am extremely picky about sushi as well, and I hesitated the first time I was brought to Miyoshi, but the people who brought me there, one was a restaurant owner and the other was Japanese. I went with it, LOL. Anyway, I used to go all the time, but in recent years less and less.

I also like Dante's (Kinderkamack Rd. in River Edge). Great Italian deli. Take-out only. Incredible sandwiches. Very nice sides, salads, etc. Also family owned and operated. It's right next door to Sanducci's.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 PM

I love Dante's as well! Now I must try Miyoshi!

I may be wrong, but I think Fairmount may have been Annabella's before (Anabella's is also in East Rutherford - take out - DELICIOUS - but rude service frequently...). There is also a Soul Food place that opened recently - and that me actually be Annabella's old locale, I'll have to double check. Now that I come to think of it, I'd like to check out the Soul Food place too! Gives me an idea for another thread.... and I'm getting HUNGRY!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Pandan Room in Hackettstown - excellent Thai Food!!! Tahiti would be able to confirm this if she would ever get her butt over to the place and try it : ))

Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 AM

OK - this was up by the old Gingerbread Castle... it was called the Iron Kettle... is it still there? I went there EONS ago.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Smitty's Smokehouse in Lyndhurst. Southern BBQ food that will knock your socks off. Just ate there for the first time last night. I WILL return.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,268 times
Big Ed's BBQ in Matawan/Old bridge (on Rt 34) is great food, and not very expensive (especially for their lunch specials). I highly recommend it

Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Big Ed's BBQ in Matawan/Old bridge (on Rt 34) is great food, and not very expensive (especially for their lunch specials). I highly recommend it
Yea but that's a chain I think the thread was asking about neighborhood places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey