Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 AM

43 posts, read 89,505 times

Advertisements

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their reply to my previous post.

Does anyone know of any good universities in New Jersey.

I'm looking at an MS in Electrical Engineering with a focus in Digital Signal Processing.

A previous post said that NJIT was horrible. Thanks a million for the warning.

What is the difference between NJIT and Rutgers?? By map, they look like they are too close to one another to be separate.

I'm looking for an accredited university with some name.

The information I have collected so far: (for EE major)

Rutgers: Ranking 50 something
NJIT: Ranking is like 102 or something

I'm not looking for diploma mills or jokes like university of pheonix.

I'm looking for the real deal either private or public.
My only limitation is that my Undergrad (2007) GPA is not stellar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
There is Rutgers-Newark (the one near NJIT) and Rutgers-New Brunswick, which is the main flagship campus.

The difference beween NJIT and Rutgers is that Rutgers is a better school It has national (and international) name recognition, while NJIT does not.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
The college of new jersey
stevens institute of technology

probably a couple others, if u expand ur area to tristate there are more options. I heard Rutgers newark has to many applicants so u might want to apply early

Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
rowan university as well.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
try google - you will find a wealth of information on courses, tuition fees, placements, etc for each university

Search - Engineering - Best Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Just a note on Rutgers-Newark vis a vis Rutgers-New Brunswick. The Electrical Engineering program for Graduate study is only offered on the New Brunswick Campus. For info on the program, visit: Rutgers Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

In terms of job placement after attaining the degree, keep in mind that most companies are going to want to see some type of work related experience while in school. Thus, regardless of what school you ultimately are admitted to, after you set out your course of study with your advisor, make sure you secure a position within your advisor's lab at the school. Also, get yourself to the Career Services Office at the school to see what options may be available with local companies for summer internships or part-time positions during weekends.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Rutgers-New Brunswick would suit you well, going by your previous post, it's the center of Middlesex County and Middlesex is the center of the Indian community in NJ.

A friend of mind married a girl from Kerala, their wedding was here in Philly and her family lives in the Boston area but they went up to Edison for the caterer and for her sari. Oh, I am just remembering how I ate so much gulab jamon that night i thought i was going into a diabetic coma.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,425 times
It really depends on what you are after.....Rutgers main campus has a better reputation overall by virtue of its larger size (5 times as big and as much alumni) and duration as degree granting college/university... However, NJIT really isn't that far behind and is also a Tier-1 level university.... In fact, based on average SAT of the students that eventually graduate out of college in 6 years, NJIT has the best calibre among all state colleges and universities in New Jersey (just do a projection using 25%, 75% and 6-year graduation rate and you would arrive at the figures). NJIT is actually a small liberal-arts college size University with Science/Technological/Architecture focus. If you dont like to walk too far or take buses and spend two hours traveling between classes every day and wish to cut that down to just 5-10 mins....then NJIT is for you .... you would not be just a number at NJIT .... if you need to have lots of campus life, also watch Football and be more recognized outside of New Jersey, then Rutgers could be right for you....whatever the case....both universities have very good professors and you would not be wrong with either....Enjoy calculating the figures....it is worth doing the maths just to see for yourself

Old 04-18-2010, 02:43 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times
I too, would recommend Rutgers over NJIT. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:18 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu111 View Post
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their reply to my previous post.

Does anyone know of any good universities in New Jersey.

I'm looking at an MS in Electrical Engineering with a focus in Digital Signal Processing.

A previous post said that NJIT was horrible. Thanks a million for the warning.

What is the difference between NJIT and Rutgers?? By map, they look like they are too close to one another to be separate.

I'm looking for an accredited university with some name.

The information I have collected so far: (for EE major)

Rutgers: Ranking 50 something
NJIT: Ranking is like 102 or something

I'm not looking for diploma mills or jokes like university of pheonix.

I'm looking for the real deal either private or public.
My only limitation is that my Undergrad (2007) GPA is not stellar.
As others have hinted at -- the Newark campus is largely a liberal arts school. If you're looking at Engineering, then it's either NJIT or the New Brunswick campus. I'd usually lean towards Rutgers over NJIT but I think your field is one of NJITs strengths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey