Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Recorder Community Newspapers > Observer-Tribune > News > Family under the foreclosure gun

Briefly - family being foreclosed on in Mendham due to various factors - slowdown in construction, signing loans they couldn't afford, possible fraud with mortgage company.

It's a long read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
“I have five children,” Mrs. Sylvester said on Friday. “I can’t be put out on the street. Someone has to step up to the plate.”
I could think of someone who has to step up to the plate.... two someones. Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Wow....stupid stupid stupid..I can't believe they didn't know what was going on especially using the mothers name

Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
The ultimate blame is on the Sylvester. They used their home to secure a loan for their business. A failed business so blame it on everyone but the person in the mirror.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Oh please. It seems like a lot of these stories have been popping up lately. "Poor" people can't afford their 1-2 million dollar homes in hyper affluent towns. Boo friggin hoo.

Bottom line, these people have other options. Move to a smaller house in a less affluent town. Make the older kids get jobs if they don't have them.

My heart goes out to the hard-working families with two or three kids who put everything on the line to buy a modest 300K home in a semi-decent neighborhood, who lost their jobs through no fault of their own, may be facing foreclosure and have no other options to purchase another home. These people need help far more than the people living in their 4000 s.f. mansions. Give me a break.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Oh please. It seems like a lot of these stories have been popping up lately. "Poor" people can't afford their 1-2 million dollar homes in hyper affluent towns. Boo friggin hoo.

Bottom line, these people have other options. Move to a smaller house in a less affluent town. Make the older kids get jobs if they don't have them.

My heart goes out to the hard-working families with two or three kids who put everything on the line to buy a modest 300K home in a semi-decent neighborhood, who lost their jobs through no fault of their own, may be facing foreclosure and have no other options to purchase another home. These people need help far more than the people living in their 4000 s.f. mansions. Give me a break.
well said & I agree...did you see what they actually paid for it??? Holy crap all that equity down the tubes..idiots

Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Accountability is an important thng and in these cases it's non-existent. I don't get how they get in so far over their heads.

That must have been a hell of a lot of improvements...let me guess Mrs. S needed to keep up with the Joneses.

I know the element of Mendham very well. There are certainly a lot of good people there but there are more "snooty tooties".

Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
I have not read it all - admittedly - and the parts I skimmed showed that YES the lenders were idiots, but so were the borrowers. I think the fact that they are in Mendham and that the home is worth over $1.0 mil takes some of the sympathy factor away.

THAT SAID....we always have "business ownership" and "starting your own small business" touted as one of the tennants of the American Dream and, truly, one of the only ways to get ahead. For many, the only OPTION to ever attempt this is to borrow from home equity. (I AM NOT SAYING IT MAKES IT RIGHT- I'm just saying this is a fact.)

I never felt homes should be used as ATM machines nor should they have been used as if they were mere investments to be day traded... I think the economic collapse is almost a good thing and EVERYONE should reevaluate priorities in the good ol' us of a.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I have not read it all - admittedly - and the parts I skimmed showed that YES the lenders were idiots, but so were the borrowers. I think the fact that they are in Mendham and that the home is worth over $1.0 mil takes some of the sympathy factor away.

THAT SAID....we always have "business ownership" and "starting your own small business" touted as one of the tennants of the American Dream and, truly, one of the only ways to get ahead. For many, the only OPTION to ever attempt this is to borrow from home equity. (I AM NOT SAYING IT MAKES IT RIGHT- I'm just saying this is a fact.)

I never felt homes should be used as ATM machines nor should they have been used as if they were mere investments to be day traded... I think the economic collapse is almost a good thing and EVERYONE should reevaluate priorities in the good ol' us of a.

elle,

when they first bought the house they paid $197,000 in 1989
That's a hell of a lot of equity to blow through...nope nada no sympathy from me

Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
the fault of taking loans they could not afford falls squarely on their shoulders.

however, there are some strange things going on:

1) lender is taking escrow for a $16000 prop tax bill when it is less (I verified this personally, gotta love the interwebs)
2) they do have a fixed mortgage that they could afford (at that time), but escrow analysis made their payments leaps by some awfully high amounts. The article doesn't do a good job explaining. The only reason it should go up is because of prop taxes, and they haven't risen that much.

they should've known they were in trouble when the lender suggested using mom since she had good credit. HUGE RED flag right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey