Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
This story is funny now because we can safely attach a happy ending to it........if the outcome had been different I doubt it would it have been understood or handled well if Aunt Cookie wasn't there anymore ? A childs world needs to be safe as well as stable.
Well actually it was funny then too. Humor has gotten me through lots and lots of surgeries.

And um, well thank God I did live but it hasn't been the happiest of outcomes. Due to a disease called Neurobibromatosis 2 and lots and lots of tumors I am completely deaf and in a wheelchair. I always have someone w/ me... hubby, mom, friends etc.

From this, my nieces and nephews have learned not everyone is the same. Everyone deserves respect and to be treated like they would like to be treated.

Also, I taught Pre-k for years and later moved into a director position. After quite a few surgeries I went from wheelchair, to walker to cane. May I say I was quite popular when I had handicapped races? One kid w/ my walker would race another being pushed in my wheelchair.

After I completely lost my hearing the staff learned the manual fingerspelled alphabet and basic signs. The children also learned many signs, as well as, Sign Language.

Yes, children need to be protected from the harsh world but they are also a lot more open minded and tolerant than many adults...

I could go on and on w/ how involved my family has gotten w/ my charity but this post is long enough already.

Yes children need to be protected but they also need to learn kindness and apathy.

Did I have them visit in ICU? Of course not. Should I have hidden in a closet when the kids came over to visit? No. And they are better for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Then do us all a favor, and stop sharing your opinion on what others should do with their kids. Someone came in to ask a decent question and you're off on a tirade. I do a lot of volunteering, I see children involved...yes there are some aspects that they should not be involved in.... but others are just fine. I think we have too many sheltered brats today. THAT is a bigger problem.
Put down the double-mochachino-expresso-latte with extra sugar.
I NEVER (read NEVER) told anyone what to do with their kid.
As for a tirade...WHERE?

Do you go onto websites and ask people what you should do with your children?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times
I'm gratefull to everyone that has had some postive remarks and for those who have given great suggestions and leads (which i will follow up on) . To those who have a problem with the Thread I think its so much worse to be so closed minded that your afraid to ask a question, to think that your the only person with the best idea that you know better than anyone else. As Our President-elect Obama said "I am my brother’s keeper. I am my sister’s keeper" I will not apologize to reaching out to others for their wisdom and experience and combined with my research and sense of well being for my kids. I will ultimately make the final decisions on what my child does. I would never put my children in harms way and for people to insinuate that is absurd.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
There is another issue here. It's that you are looking for ways to teach your child about the world and that's great. My experience with organizations that use volunteers is that they need adults in most cases. They are not looking to incorporate a group of children or individual children. Their clients needs have to be met. That is their primary mission. As long as adults understand that I have no counter to this at all but if you want something that would benefit a young child you could contact orgs that already work with children. It makes more sense.

I would have called this thread- "Where can I serve in the community where my child can have a role?" Not "should I take my child with me?".
Again it's about service -not what the org can do for you. You either get it or you don't. I assume the child would be looked after whether left at home or not so I would have no comment on that. It is a given.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:06 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
You've proven my point......you had one student in an entire third grade class that was mature enough to comprehend what was needed and organize it.....the rest were all followers because they wanted to be involved and part of the group. Additionally, thats a year older than in second grade and we all know that at that age much is learned in one year. I hate to be negative but I suspect that most third graders to play with dolls and action figurers.....but thats probably because there are only 8 !!!!!
And you missed mine. My point was that kids are people too and just because you may not happen to know any that are mature enough to understand the situation and be helpful does not mean the OP is a bad parent or trying to deprive her child of a childhood just because she wants her to be socially aware. And...uh most organizations, events, etc were probably started by one person. The Red Cross was started by one woman - does that mean the rest of the world was not mature enough to comprehend there was a need there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Didn't you see this post? JC JC Mom sounds to me, like a loving, thoughtful Mom. I don't think you have to worry about the safety of her child.

On another note, I don't agree that 7 yr. old children are only concerned about the picture on their lunchboxes. Some children have a heart for service at a very young age. I know quite a few kids like that. They are precious and quitet capable of handling things my own children couldn't.
That's how I feel. I keep seeing these comments about protecting kids from this, that and the other. Protection is a good, sheltering is not. I see homeless people everyday; a big group of them sleep under the covering of a Suntrust bank right down the street from my home. I frequently pass them when I'm driving through the downtown area and it's almost impossible to go to a public park without seeing them - even in nice, safe, residential areas. My son calls them "bad man." I tell him that not all homeless people are bad people even though I know he doesn't get what I'm talking about - I don't even know where the "bad man" concept came from but once he's older and I think he'll be able to understand and if I find a place where it's appropriate, I wouldn't hesitate to take him to volunteer.

Last edited by nat_at772; 11-14-2008 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Default Bad men

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
And you missed mine. My point was that kids are people too and just because you may not happen to know any that are mature enough to understand the situation and be helpful does not mean the OP is a bad parent or trying to deprive her child of a childhood just because she wants her to be socially aware. And...uh most organizations, events, etc were probably started by one person. The Red Cross was started by one woman - does that mean the rest of the world was not mature enough to comprehend there was a need there?

That's how I feel. I keep seeing these comments about protecting kids from this, that and the other. Protection is a good, sheltering is not. I see homeless people everyday; a big group of them sleep under the covering of a Suntrust bank right down the street from my home. I frequently pass them when I'm driving through the downtown area and it's almost impossible to go to a public park without seeing them - even in nice, safe, residential areas. My son calls them "bad man." I tell him that not all homeless people are bad people even though I know he doesn't get what I'm talking about - I don't even know where the "bad man" concept came from but once he's older and I think he'll be able to understand and if I find a place where it's appropriate, I wouldn't hesitate to take him to volunteer.
The Red Cross is a fine organization and could well have been started by one person.....however......I doubt they were 7 when they started it ? And yes.....children are people to but if you notice because of their age they are called "children".....not adult....thats because they are too young to make crucial decisions and as such they do need to be protected. If you search back through my posts you'll see I haven't used the word "sheltered" once.......I'm not sure why you keep trying to apply it to what I say ? You son appears to be wiser than you for recognizing that many homeless are "bad men". All homeless need some type of help to be sure but many are mentally ill or drug users constantanty seeking the need high and capable of violent acts at any moment to get the money for that next high. I'm sure many are just down and out and looking for a hand up rather than a hand out but since we can't interview those at the soup kitchen before we enroll a child into your awareness program its better to be safe than sorry. Why not just confine the decision to volunteer to yourself rather than expanding it to include a child that already has some fear of being around "bad men" ? If you wish to gamble with your childs welfare that nothing will happen thats fine but there are many on here who have better common sense.....including you son it would appear.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:07 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
wait.....checking......nope, this horse hasn't been sufficiently beaten. for cryin' out loud people.................

Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Are you sure? I could bulldoze it that last inch over the edge of the cliff for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wait.....checking......nope, this horse hasn't been sufficiently beaten. for cryin' out loud people.................

Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I wouldn't take the 7 year old to a soup kitchen. Its a rough world out there, .........
I'd need eyes in the back of my head. I'd worry too much........
But, I would be sure to let them choose a gift for a child who might not have Christmas from Santa.
And for them to help you deliver it to a church, or the Salvation Army.
Something I have done forever with any child that is near me at holiday time. Just to add:
I have taken them in an ICU, and they slept with me in the side chair........glad to have just seen
the face of their dad. That made them complete and secure to see him.

Last edited by Summering; 11-14-2008 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-14-2008, 09:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
The Red Cross is a fine organization and could well have been started by one person.....however......I doubt they were 7 when they started it ? And yes.....children are people to but if you notice because of their age they are called "children".....not adult....thats because they are too young to make crucial decisions and as such they do need to be protected. If you search back through my posts you'll see I haven't used the word "sheltered" once.......I'm not sure why you keep trying to apply it to what I say ? You son appears to be wiser than you for recognizing that many homeless are "bad men". All homeless need some type of help to be sure but many are mentally ill or drug users constantanty seeking the need high and capable of violent acts at any moment to get the money for that next high. I'm sure many are just down and out and looking for a hand up rather than a hand out but since we can't interview those at the soup kitchen before we enroll a child into your awareness program its better to be safe than sorry. Why not just confine the decision to volunteer to yourself rather than expanding it to include a child that already has some fear of being around "bad men" ? If you wish to gamble with your childs welfare that nothing will happen thats fine but there are many on here who have better common sense.....including you son it would appear.
My Red Cross example was used because you made it a big deal that only ONE child out a group had an idea; but based on your posts it's obvious that you seem to think your opinions are the only ones that matter so I'll leave you to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey