Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:02 PM

517 posts, read 1,965,100 times

Advertisements

We received the annual envelopes for tips from the newspaper carriers and was wondering - what's appropriate? They're both weekly newspapers. How much do you tip? Also, do you tip the garbage man? How? One more thing - we don't have a regular mail carrier assigned to us (new construction area and they rotate... different carrier every day with a different mail delivery time). What would you do here? Skip the tip or tip them all??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,640,186 times
My newspaper subscription runs about $17 a month (approx $200 per year)
I gave roughly 20% ($40). I mailed it to the lady's house because she included a card with her return address.

Shanny

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times
Bah humbug! Tip? They should be tipping you for making you walk out to the end of the driveway to scrape off the newspaper they left they you drove over 10 tens before realizing it was there!!!! LOL..JK - 20% is more than fair : ))

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,640,186 times
also to add: We have a regular mailman and I tipped him a $25 gift card to Target (that is the max that the USPS wants people to tip). As far as the garbage men....I don't know?

In California, we paid to have our garbage removed (it wasn't included in taxes) and we tipped them a few bucks but here???? I haven't a clue.

Shanny

Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
also to add: We have a regular mailman and I tipped him a $25 gift card to Target (that is the max that the USPS wants people to tip). As far as the garbage men....I don't know?

In California, we paid to have our garbage removed (it wasn't included in taxes) and we tipped them a few bucks but here???? I haven't a clue.

Shanny
My brother was a garbage man and he typically made a few grand in tips at xmas time!!! They also like "booze". He received a bottled of Wiskey from Whitney Houston one year... she probably hid it in the garbage can to keep it away from Bobby

Old 12-19-2008, 04:01 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,742 times
Last year I gave the mailman $40 and the garbage guys a 24 case of beer and $20.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post

Shanny
Shanny, Funny you said that I gave the mailman $25 today . SSSHHHH a twenty and a five. He put it in his pocket quick before anyone saw it. As for the garbage man we have a new company every year so I didn't get to talk with them. During the year I had to throw out a bunch of wood I gave him a twenty spot BUT I threw the wood in the truck.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
We received the annual envelopes for tips from the newspaper carriers and was wondering - what's appropriate? They're both weekly newspapers. How much do you tip?
Gas cards are a great idea for newspaper people if they drive a car to deliver. If you have a local gas place that's convenient to your house, even better.

My son as a DirecTV tech gets all sorts of stuff. $5 WaWa cards are popular.

We don't normally get a newspaper delivered, did while our house was for sale; did not tip the paper person & they were pissed. It gave us the chance to let him know what we thought of his service. Most days the paper was under a car, in a garden, wet.

Quote:
Also, do you tip the garbage man? How?
No, we didn't tip the trash guys at Christmas and won't in the new town. Here we have a truck that automatically empties the cans, guy never has to get out of the truck.

In the old town we'd tip if we left a large load. My hubby would pick up some sort of alcohol or we'd give cash, one of us handed it to them.

Quote:
One more thing - we don't have a regular mail carrier assigned to us (new construction area and they rotate... different carrier every day with a different mail delivery time). What would you do here? Skip the tip or tip them all??
I used to give my old carrier home made cookies; within the last 3-4 years we built up a friendship; still email. My old carrier was great, I used to give her garden plants during the year. I've also offered her hot/cold drinks as well as a bathroom if she needed it. She's the most amazing lady, sweet, caring. We spent many days at my old mailbox talking, hugging & even praying. When she had surgery one year I sent her flowers.

Had we been there this year, she probably would have gotten cookies plus some sort of gift card that she could use to buy stuff for the kids at her church. She was always spending her own money on the class she taught or plays she put on.

I have no clue what I'm doing for the new carrier, probably nothing since we haven't been here long. Next year I probably will but will know him more by then. I was surprised to find an Xmas postcard in the mailbox last week. I will probably leave a card for him.

I usually pick up assorted Chocolate bars or Ande's mints; give it to the various drivers that come to the house around the holiday's. Small but shows I appreciate what they do. Most knew me because we were on a main road, and appreciated the chocolate fix by that time of the day (3-4ish). I used to hate that they got rid of my main UPS guy after Thanksgiving.

The drivers at the new house pull up, leave the package without ringing the bell or knocking on the door

Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
you know what makes me not want to give a tip, when people automatically assume they deserve it, like sticking their hand out, or giving you an envelope. nice hint!!! i guess with the newspaper people, you never actually SEE them, so i can almost understand that.

UPS GUY, gets a lot of work here, at least 1X a week - i always try to meet him outside - 20 bucks, although during christmas they have a helper so maybe a little for each of them
mailman 20 bucks - we have a mail carrier that works our house 5 days a week, but saturday is a different guy - not sure how to handle that.
garbage guys - 10-20 bucks each. There's 3 of them per truck. and these guys always take my stuff even when they dont have to.

why is it we are assuming all the garbage men like alcohol ??????????

Old 12-21-2008, 06:29 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,832 times
I don't know why people can't just do their job without expecting a tip. Even people at DUnkin Donuts think they deserve a tip for getting you a coffee or donut... give me a break. Teachers don't get tips or bonuses and we deal with it and everyone else whines when they don't get anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey