Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,832 times

Advertisements

I've never met my mailperson, as I'm usually not around when they come by. I've never met any of the garbage collectors, either. Once my dog got loud with the FedEx guy, though. I don't use FedEx often enough to warrant tipping him, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:36 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,224 times
Sorry, no tipping this year. I feel like Scrooge but we barely afford to buy our family presents due to a bad employment situation So when I sent these people cards I thanked them profusely and let them know how much I appreciate their dedication.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,070 times
Thanks for all the info. One logistics question, however...... for those who tip the garbage guys, how do you do this? Ours comes when it's still dark outside (like 6:30 am)!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Here in E. NC people don't tip. Being transplants from NJ we do. We very rarely get UPS packages, but the UPS guy stops by our home every day to give our dog a treat, so we give hime and our mail carrier $20.00 ea.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 AM

315 posts, read 1,091,645 times
i have a different mail carrier everyday so i won't be tipping. i love my garbage collector. this is the first place i've had to pay for garbage pick up and from the first he's always been wonderful and helpful. i've given him tips before because he's gone out of his way. yesterday i was lucky to catch him, ran out with a twenty for him and another for his partner and gave him a big hug. i think he appreciated the hug more than the money. just one more thing that makes me love living here!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
As a big-box retail associate who refuses to accept gratuities left and right this time of year, often much to the dismay of people who are offended by the rejection of their generosity, I'd make one nice suggestion.

Instead of booze, money, or gift cards, why not either also (or in replacement of those aforementioned trinkets) write a nice letter complimenting the individual's consistently reliable and dedicated work? A few weeks ago a woman whom I assisted here at Lowe's over the period of several days with a very complicated problem with her electric fireplace insert was so impressed by me going the extra mile to try to mitigate her displeasure that she contacted our corporate office and praised me to the high heavens. I nearly shed a tear when my manager called me into his office to show me the paperwork detailing the compliment, and best of all, this would count positively towards my annual raise and performance review in early-2009. I'd MUCH rather receive a compliment that could go towards a generous raise in my future as well as some much-needed positive reinforcement (whereas management here can usually just point out your flaws trying to make you feel badly) instead of just being handed $2 for cutting and preparing someone's Christmas tree as they have their neck craned to their iPhone and speed off into the night in their Range Rover.

I know it takes more "work" to sit down for 5-10-minutes to type up a few paragraphs, but it means a world of good to those who could have used some cheering up this time of year. I wish everyone who tried throwing tips at me would consider this. I do NOT expect tips. I WOULD love to have more positive comments thrown my way though via management to help reinforce management's belief that their investment in me as an employee was a sound one.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM

183 posts, read 500,729 times
For years I had an extremely nosy and unlikeable mailman who I never tipped for this reason. Now I seem to have different mail carriers all the time, although I rarely see them. So no tipping the mailman. Btw, they are prohibited from accepting anything worth more than $20, and from accepting cash in any amount anyway.

It can be difficult to get rid of garbage in NJ, so I recommend that you take care of your garbage guys. Mine do me favors all year long, so I always tip them. I'll be throwing them $50 this year. I tape the card to the outside of the can if I'm not sure I'll see the guy personally.

Btw, if you don't tip the garbage guys, they remember you for it, believe me.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I don't know why people can't just do their job without expecting a tip. Even people at DUnkin Donuts think they deserve a tip for getting you a coffee or donut... give me a break.
There's a post at another place I go to about DD.. one lady's child works there, in her state, they are paid waitress salaries; she says they count on tips. I never knew this but it did not sway my thinking as I agree with you.

I pumped gas all of my life, I checked oil, filled tires and did windows. I did this because it was a family business, not because I expected tips. If people didn't come in, we didn't make money to live. I did get tips though and felt awkward about it.

After working outside all of my life, I appreciate others that do as well. Yes, they get paid for it but usually not more then people with inside jobs. There are days you just can't get warm.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:54 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'd MUCH rather receive a compliment that could go towards a generous raise in my future as well as some much-needed positive reinforcement (whereas management here can usually just point out your flaws trying to make you feel badly) instead of just being handed $2 for cutting and preparing someone's Christmas tree as they have their neck craned to their iPhone and speed off into the night in their Range Rover.

I know it takes more "work" to sit down for 5-10-minutes to type up a few paragraphs, but it means a world of good to those who could have used some cheering up this time of year. I wish everyone who tried throwing tips at me would consider this. I do NOT expect tips. I WOULD love to have more positive comments thrown my way though via management to help reinforce management's belief that their investment in me as an employee was a sound one.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a garbage guy couldn't give a toss about a nice letter to his boss and would much rather have some beer and cash. Actually same for the mailman.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:58 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
Thanks for all the info. One logistics question, however...... for those who tip the garbage guys, how do you do this? Ours comes when it's still dark outside (like 6:30 am)!
If I just give cash I put it in an envelope and tape the envelope to the lid. Believe me, they are looking for it. Now we have "backdoor pick-up" so I leave a case of beer with an envelope with cash sitting next to the pails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey