Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times

Advertisements

is Blvd. East still known as "lollipop lane" ...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane32 View Post
NYCGOONER please specify where it is good and where it is bad, I am looking at an appartment on Boulevard east and 64th street - how does that area looks like, I mean crime wise etc.

Thanks

There is not much crime in wny and it does not feel dangerous, after you get used to it. blvd east and 64th is great, if you are trying to commute to the city for work.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgooner View Post
As someone who grew up in West New York, I'll give you the skinny: first of all, the WNY I grew up in and the WNY of today are two completely different worlds. I graduated from Memorial HS back in '96, and the schools were pretty good then. However, it has become two completely different locales separated by the Palisades. You have the Gold Coast, which I recalled, used to be a mini putt-putt and driving range and open space. Then, above, you have WNY. WNY is predominantly a low-income town with crime. A lot of people moved away from WNY in the mid to late 90s, and imo, it brought the standard of living down. My parents still live there but they have been wanting to move out for a while. One of the pluses of living there is the close proximity to the City. And with the light rail now running through WNY, albeit it is on the Gold Coast, it is easier to get to JC/Hoboken.
The light rail has a stop on 49th st, so it basically runs through WNY. I think union city starts a block or two before 49th.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyC View Post
I also grew up there, and I will always have love for it , but if you want
to live in a noisy, crowded town that takes you 30 mins to travel 3 blocks by car, and will probably never hear english spoken then move
to to WNY.............
I really disagree. I work in the area, and find it to be a miracle that traffic moves as well as it does, considering how many people live there.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:01 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
I've lived in WNY for years and never had a problem. It can get crowded in the summer time, but then again I don't go to Bergenline much. I never feel unsafe. Parking is the real pain in the ass.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:39 PM

57 posts, read 198,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I've lived in WNY for years and never had a problem. It can get crowded in the summer time, but then again I don't go to Bergenline much. I never feel unsafe. Parking is the real pain in the ass.
If you're from the suburbs, stay there. WNY isn't bad, but like Raven said, parking is a pain in the ass. Crimewise, it's not as bad as say Irvington, but you have to walk around with extreme caution, especially at night. If one needs proximity to NYC, consider the waterfront area from Weehawken through WNY to Edgewater, and up to Fort Lee. Much more amenities if you have the money.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
I have a similar question to Dane32. I am from North NJ and am interested in looking at apartments in West New York. For example 5309-HUDSON AVE. I am a young single woman who works in NY. I don't know anything about the area and I want to know if this is a safe place for me. Any knowledge and advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by jjennski; 05-03-2009 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: put question in wrong spot

Old 05-03-2009, 03:25 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
The taxes are through the roof in WNY not to mention the schools are horrible.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:29 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjennski View Post
I have a similar question to Dane32. I am from North NJ and am interested in looking at apartments in West New York. For example 5309-HUDSON AVE. I am a young single woman who works in NY. I don't know anything about the area and I want to know if this is a safe place for me. Any knowledge and advice would be much appreciated.
I would advise against that particular area.

look for something further north & east, toward Guttenberg and Park Ave.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjennski View Post
That is a seedy area. Try Guttenberg or upper North Bergen. A few blocks north makes all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey