Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
True but that's not the main reason as to why companies in New Jersey flee all points south or west.
No, of course not. Nor was I implying that.

My comment was in the context of it being an extra added incentive, not the main reason. Certainly not even a second or third supporting reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnk View Post
And don't forget that North Carolina is very corporate friendly in regards to worker/employee rights. Companies down here can do just about anything they want and employees don't have much recourse or much in the way of state laws protecting them.

Perhaps, but it is also your responsibility to make yourself as valuable as possible to employers.
Yes, you did interpret my comment incorrectly. I have no idea what your comment has to do with my comment.

Ultimately and fortunately, I don't have to concern myself with these type of issues.

But who knows what the future brings.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 AM

112 posts, read 404,921 times
Give me a few good reasons to MOVE TO New Jersey. I might have a job offer near UNION. The cost of living frightens the **** OUT OF ME. What would you say is an average and liveable wage in Union. I live in Houston. The city is lame but the cost of living is very reasonable and economy is more stable than most. We are having to go where the jobs are and NJ is one of those possibilities.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis7 View Post
Give me a few good reasons to MOVE TO New Jersey. I might have a job offer near UNION. The cost of living frightens the **** OUT OF ME. What would you say is an average and liveable wage in Union. I live in Houston. The city is lame but the cost of living is very reasonable and economy is more stable than most. We are having to go where the jobs are and NJ is one of those possibilities.
If you consider major U.S. cities where employment is plentiful and cost of housing is very low, Houston is right at the top of the list. The city might be lame, but in today's economic climate, you can hardly position yourself better than living in the Houston area.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 AM

96 posts, read 237,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If you consider major U.S. cities where employment is plentiful and cost of housing is very low, Houston is right at the top of the list. The city might be lame, but in today's economic climate, you can hardly position yourself better than living in the Houston area.
I second that. Tried to rep ya but can't. +1 here!

I wouldn't call Houston "lame" and I'm looking to move to North Jersey to be close to Manhattan. Houston is actually a very cosmopolitan city in population, and it has some of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at here in America. The downtown now compared to say 10 or 15 years ago is much more active with nightlife with some boutique hotels, restaurants, clubs, theater. It's just the arts district (sans theaters) in Houston is not downtown... things are very spread out in Houston. You have some very interesting neighbourhoods... the Heights, Montrose, for diversity if that's what the poster is getting at. Yet it is not going to be NYC and it never will be... or not even like Chicago which is also a very lively town at night with lots of people about along the Gold Coast.

It's a different culture in Texas but in terms of how the state is run fiscally, it's right up there and New Jersey would do itself a lot of good to emulate it.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
I live in Bergen County. I love it for a few reasons; it's close to NYC, it's close to the shore, and it's close to the mountains- However, I am deathly sick of winter, snow, traffic, conjestion ... I am looking to relocate to Florida and within the next 2 years- I am a passionate ocean lover so it's my goal to live within a mile of the Gulf Coast. I'll miss NJ and NYC, but they will make fantastic long weekend visits one day - I'm sure once I'm gone, I won't ever want to come back ... (Not permanately).

I want to add, I realize the salary I make up here will never come close to what I will make down there- But it's no longer about the money. I'm 41, I want to find the place I will retire and settle down at. I'm waiting till I am 100% debt free and I'm outta here- I'm almost there !!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Be advised that roughly 50% of people or more that move to FLA end up coming back up north or move to the Carolina's as 'half backs'. So I'd never say never when it comes to FLA.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Be advised that roughly 50% of people or more that move to FLA end up coming back up north or move to the Carolina's as 'half backs'. So I'd never say never when it comes to FLA.

I have alot of friends in Florida, in the Tampa area so I already have a life waiting for me there- Trust me. I'm "Never" coming back, ever. I stand firm on that.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM

96 posts, read 237,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis7 View Post
Give me a few good reasons to MOVE TO New Jersey.
What I most love about New Jersey is its diversity of which lots of people are ignorant.

You have mountains in the north for skiing in the winter, and only a few hours drive south you have beaches and boardwalks to enjoy in other seasons. My favourite is Cape May at the furthest southern point but there are certainly many other shore towns to enjoy depending on what you want be it a family-friendly atmosphere to a wild party or to simply be alone on a secluded beach. In between you have village-like towns with viable Main Streets and smaller hamlets that you will not find in most places in Texas. There is a sort of sophisticated charm even to these small towns that is, yes, lacking in many small towns in Texas that are more "country and rural." Remember that New Jersey was a part of the original 13 colonies... the Middle Colonies but it feels "New England" in certain parts I think... hence the charm if you will. The Pinelands make you feel like you're in an entirely different place altogether and is a national reserve comprising about one million acres of farms, forest, towns excellent for birdwatching and photography and sightseeing. Beautiful scenery that would surprise most people who think of New Jersey only in terms of its industry along the Turnpike after leaving EWR (Newark Airport). Then yes you have the proximity to big cities such as Philly and NYC... I enjoy having that close distance to Manhattan for sure and having the mass transit to get there without driving (OMG don't try to drive to Manhattan!). But like a NYC cabbie once told me when taking me back across the state line... it's gonna cost ya lady.

Yet if you have a job offer in Jersey that gives you an income of six figures at least... then I'd say you can carve out a pretty nice life there that you are probably accustomed to having in Texas. You don't have to make six figures in Texas, though, to have a comfortable life.

However... I do need to add this on... be prepared for four seasons especially winter! Houston is just two seasons... unbearably hot and cool maybe with some scattered days between December and February as cold. Yet to me my reward from enduring the harsh winter temps and dirty snow in the Northeast is the absolutely gorgeous Autumn color there! You do not get that in Texas especially Houston. Houston is almost like Florida... palm trees and green year round with it's plantings in lots of places. I know natives to Houston that absolutely hate cold weather and would absolutely hate having a real winter to endure. So that is a big change when moving from Texas to New Jersey.

Last edited by sofietrt; 12-23-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofietrt View Post
I wouldn't call Houston "lame" and I'm looking to move to North Jersey to be close to Manhattan. Houston is actually a very cosmopolitan city in population, and it has some of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at here in America. The downtown now compared to say 10 or 15 years ago is much more active with nightlife with some boutique hotels, restaurants, clubs, theater. It's just the arts district (sans theaters) in Houston is not downtown... things are very spread out in Houston. You have some very interesting neighbourhoods... the Heights, Montrose, for diversity if that's what the poster is getting at. Yet it is not going to be NYC and it never will be... or not even like Chicago which is also a very lively town at night with lots of people about along the Gold Coast.

It's a different culture in Texas but in terms of how the state is run fiscally, it's right up there and New Jersey would do itself a lot of good to emulate it.
You are right.

I would be interested in why the other posters think Houston is "lame". Public transit? Yes, it's lame. Summer weather? It's hot, so maybe that's lame. But what else exactly would be lame? It's a nice place overall, and very cosmopolitan and diverse as you said, so if anything it's underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey