Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,262 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have got a job in Manhattan in the Bloomberg office on Lexington Avenue. The exact address is 731 lexington avenue.

I plan to stay in Jersey and commute to Manhattan. Going through the forums, I have got a lot of information. But I have some questions below, it would be great if someone can shed some light on them

1) I am ready for a commuting time of maximum 45 minutes and rent around $1500 for 1BHK. I have not traveled by NJ Transit. So info regarding safe places within that 45 min commute distance would be gr8.

I did find info on these forums about NewPort, Jersey City, but the rents are around $1900.

2) if any guys can share info about their commuting times from the stations that would help to.

I am planning to drive down to Jersey City, NJ on Dec 15th. Any info would be really helpful.

Thank you,
Avadhoot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Try Hoboken - for $1,500 you should be able to find a 1 BRm. Don't look in the big "luxury" buildings, those tend to be more expensive. But 1 Brm in a brownstone is very doable for $1500. Check out Craig's List or, if you don't mind paying a fee, get in touch with the local realtor.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Are you SURE you don't want to live where it's easier to get to the East side? You're essentially at the lower border of the Upper East Side. To get there from Penn Station is a real pain!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:36 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Are you SURE you don't want to live where it's easier to get to the East side? You're essentially at the lower border of the Upper East Side. To get there from Penn Station is a real pain!
This is a great point.... it's probably 25-30 minutes to get from Penn Station to your office, with some walking and some subway. Addding that to the time to Penn Station will make the 45 minutes a little tricky.

But if you want NJ, I agree that Hoboken is probably best combo of convenience and price.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:48 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
for $1500 1bdr you could stay in northern manhattan, like maybe east harlem, it would be easier to get to your office

Or even some areas of queens/brooklyn

Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,262 times
Thanks for the quick reply.
Actually, I am NOT sure. But I dont have much idea about Manhattan other then its high rentals. My guess was that living in Manhattan or Queens would be expensive. Also, I got this info (not sure if its true), that living in NYC, have to pay 4% city tax. Further, commuting from Queens would take 45 mins too. (Google Map Info).

What do you guys think?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avadhootk View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
Actually, I am NOT sure. But I dont have much idea about Manhattan other then its high rentals. My guess was that living in Manhattan or Queens would be expensive. Also, I got this info (not sure if its true), that living in NYC, have to pay 4% city tax. Further, commuting from Queens would take 45 mins too. (Google Map Info).

What do you guys think?
I don't see a possible 45 min commute from NJ to the east side of Manhattan.
You can try this for Apartments in Brooklyn, Queens , Manhattan, Staten Island----
*New York Apartment Rental | Apartments for Rent in *NY

Diane G

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I don't see a possible 45 min commute from NJ to the east side of Manhattan.
You can try this for Apartments in Brooklyn, Queens , Manhattan, Staten Island----
*New York Apartment Rental | Apartments for Rent in *NY

Diane G
My ex lived in Ft Greene BK & commuted to Exchange Place in JC. She was good with it.
Don't recall the actual time of the commute (this was a few years ago), but she never complained about it.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
Look into Weehawken, NJ area.

Why on earth would you recommend East Harlem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
for $1500 1bdr you could stay in northern manhattan, like maybe east harlem, it would be easier to get to your office

Or even some areas of queens/brooklyn

Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Queens or Brooklyn are far more reasonable than Manhattan with respect to rents and the commutes are eminently do-able. Why subject yourself to a crosstown nightmare twice a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey