Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,575 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with building codes, in general in New Jersey, Sparta specifically. I haven't gone to the building department yet, I'm still arranging how I want to present this.

I would like to build a home, small (1,000 sq/ft possibly 1500 max). Either completely stone, or completely wood foundation and structure. I don't want plumbing, running water, very minimal electricity which will be self generated (solar). I've been looking through the sparta building dept website looking for building codes trying to see how legal this is. Anyone have any information or experience in this kind of thing. I'm looking for some direction on how to get legal permits and such to build this with no worries.

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited by Phrige; 12-02-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
The house is going to be built according to the NJ code, which is a modified version of the International Residential Code. It's going to be required to have running water (both hot and cold). Building it from stone wouldn't be a problem, provided that you can show the construction meets the minimum insulation requirements and you'll need an engineer to sign off on the stone stating that it meets the structural load requirements (the code doesn't have prescriptive requirements for stone, so you've got to prove that it's structurally sound). The wood foundation system and structure would also be possible, as the code has provisions for wood foundations.

You'll also need a heating system which is capable of maintaining proper temperatures in the winter, which is going to either require one heck of a large fireplace or stove, or will require a central heating plant. There are a host of other requirements that I haven't listed here, but so far your plan isn't viable if you want to use the place as a residence- you won't receive a certificate of occupancy.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,575 times
Ok, thanks for the tips. Heating was just going to be a wood stove. I appreciate that reply. I'm going to do more research into the minimum requirements. That running water clause is kind of a bummer. Basically I'm looking to use it more as a cottage, not necessarily an all year residence. Its out more into the woods so it'd make for a nice summer and winter retreat.

Thanks,
Peter

Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
tagging. keep us updated long term. I am curious.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
For help in building this kind of structure, call Ted at 1-800-Unabomber.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:36 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

LMAO

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
LOL..sounds a bit suspect huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey