Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,049,203 times

Advertisements

YOu could be a substitute teacher in jersey City. I believe it pays about $100 a day and more if you are certified to teach. They especially need subs to help out in the preschools and early grades.

I work in J.C and whenever one of the teachers or aides call out, there isn't a very long list of subs to call being that Jersey City has many many schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,721,237 times
Really? I'd be game for this. "It's not a TOOMA!!!"

Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 PM

yep yep... just go to the board of ed and get a substitute application and send it in

TOOMA??? Am I missing a joke

Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,721,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
yep yep... just go to the board of ed and get a substitute application and send it in

TOOMA??? Am I missing a joke
Yes you are. Watch Kindergarten Cop.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,761,280 times
Subs are basically just baby sitters anyway. I NEVER had a sub that ever even attempted to continue the curriculum (unless it was an extended absence).

Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Subs are basically just baby sitters anyway. I NEVER had a sub that ever even attempted to continue the curriculum (unless it was an extended absence).
Yes I know they just end up babysitting, but at least in prek they definitely have to move their ass because the kids don't sit at desks.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:17 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,641,348 times
It's not just limited to Jersey City, you can go on google and look up source for teachers and work anywhere. I know, I've done it.

Cheers,
Shanny

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,465,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post

Well, I guess I was an exception to the rule. I busted my butt teaching while subbing. In fact, lots of other teacher complimented my on how well I taught while subbing. (Of course, I was trying to get hired full-time too.)

Every district needs subs. It's the full-time jobs that are difficult to get. I subbed in Ridgewood and Glen Rock for almost five years and my phone rang off the hook five days a week. I enjoyed subbing, even though the pay was lousy.

Keep in mind though, that subbing in an urban district will be much tougher, but urban districts do tend to pay a little more. (I think they pay $100 per day in my district as well.) Getting a sub at an elementary school in my district is like winning the lottery. At the middle or high school level it's almost impossible.

Also, many of the fancier districts (like Ridgewood and Glen Rock) require bachelor's degrees for substitutes.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
zas

95 posts, read 283,435 times
I was a sub my junior year in college, started in Bloomfield for $65 a day then Newark for $100 a day...I was 19 years old and I love it....I stay away from elem school because they're the worst...High School was the way to go because a lot of them skip class if they knew a sub was there. I give them the work if they did it great if not, I would tell them your teacher will deal with you... Easiest job I had so far missing those days not pay...I loved the prep period, cafe duties and lunch time three period of easy work. Now I get a lunch break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey