Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
your the voice of reason, so what are they going to do if lets say the money runs out of unemployment??? What do you think will happen?

The Feds will step in as the money for unemployment claims has to be paid
Bigger business taxes, really chase all the business out of state.

All though I agree the pension system needs major overhauling...I guess in fairness those already hired would be grand fathered but new hires wouldn't get what we currently give
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
this is not good!!! not too happy with those answers!
Forgot to add this: Some C-Ders getting/living together with other C-Ders to share housing costs.

May not be good - but I do speak a possible reality as $$$ to bridge all the state gaps is not going to appear suddenly.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
and beginning in Jan the new deduction for the paid family leave...may be peanuts per person but combined....more revenue for the state to pizz away

Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM

96 posts, read 237,014 times
Quote:
no doubt in my mind state will go bankrupt
I thought it already was...

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: State of New Jersey Is Insolvent

I must be crazy to want to move here LOL!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofietrt View Post
I thought it already was...

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: State of New Jersey Is Insolvent

I must be crazy to want to move here LOL!

As crazy as the rest of us that live and post here!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
NJ will find a way to pay UE. My guess is an increased gas tax to start off then higher property taxes, followed by a a business tax (mentioned in the article). This state robs Peter to pay Paul, and not a single person ever says "wait, this is out of control, we must stop the corruption and double, triple, and quadruple dipping by some of these workers". Everyone turns a blind eye and buries their head back in the sand.

Last night my GF and I had a very long talk about getting out of here. We've come to the conclusion that the taxes, housing costs, and overall burden on the average NJ resident is not worth living here. All my complaining finally is making her listen!

I tried moving back but a number of factors drove us back to North Carolina. We're paying 800 dollars a year here total on two cars, both fully insured. In February it was going to go up and that cost alone was giving me the shakes. But even looking at the grander picture, say, five years down the road, I just couldn't trust the state and the direction it's heading in. If they think that UE insurance is taking a battering now, wait until next year when the big finance and Wall Street layoffs start pounding away at it. Because knowing New Jersey, and I hate saying it, but with this something is going to go up and really hit you hard in the pocket. And if it's a business tax, watch companies start fleeing south to more business friendly states. It's got the potential to get far uglier than what it is now.

If you have the chance to leave, I'd suggest to you and your girlfriend to do so. You may love New Jersey like crazy, but your love of New Jersey isn't going to help put food on your table, clothes on your back, pay your bills, and help you retire. One or both of you working two jobs just to make ends meet shouldn't be your idea of a life together.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM

96 posts, read 237,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
As crazy as the rest of us that live and post here!
Yeah you Jersey Guys are real charmers.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
NJ will find a way to pay UE. My guess is an increased gas tax to start off then higher property taxes, followed by a a business tax (mentioned in the article). This state robs Peter to pay Paul, and not a single person ever says "wait, this is out of control, we must stop the corruption and double, triple, and quadruple dipping by some of these workers". Everyone turns a blind eye and buries their head back in the sand.

Last night my GF and I had a very long talk about getting out of here. We've come to the conclusion that the taxes, housing costs, and overall burden on the average NJ resident is not worth living here. All my complaining finally is making her listen!
I agree with you, I do not know how the average person can afford to live in NJ. The job market in this state here (Florida) is bad but at least everything else is a cheaper way of living....even food! Rent is cheap, housing market is bottom of the barrel cheap and taxes are low. I could never afford to go back to Jersey anymore. My retired Mom of 84 is living off her reverse mortgage, (worried it will run out) she is 84 and her property taxes are just under 5,000 a year. They have been somewhat fixed for years as a senior citizen. I am trying to talk her into moving out and down here, but I know she will not! Her money will go way farther down here in Florida! Plus living here you have almost 6 months of no electric bills for heating or AC. While you guys in Jersey are paying high heating bills we are paying nothing but enjoying the sunshineand that does not cost a penny! I would think about a move if I were you too! Maybe not here but somewhere where it is not such a daily struggle and you get more for your money!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I agree with you, I do not know how the average person can afford to live in NJ. The job market in this state here (Florida) is bad but at least everything else is a cheaper way of living....even food! Rent is cheap, housing market is bottom of the barrel cheap and taxes are low. I could never afford to go back to Jersey anymore. My retired Mom of 84 is living off her reverse mortgage, (worried it will run out) she is 84 and her property taxes are just under 5,000 a year. They have been somewhat fixed for years as a senior citizen. I am trying to talk her into moving out and down here, but I know she will not! Her money will go way farther down here in Florida! Plus living here you have almost 6 months of no electric bills for heating or AC. While you guys in Jersey are paying high heating bills we are paying nothing but enjoying the sunshineand that does not cost a penny! I would think about a move if I were you too! Maybe not here but somewhere where it is not such a daily struggle and you get more for your money!
Anywhere with the exception of CA, CT, and MA will get us more. She has to stay in a major market since she's in TV, so I am game for Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, Miami, or Dallas/Houston.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
I don't know, I have so many friends who have moved...and for the most part, they are not doing so much better by having moved. Some pay less for housing/taxes...but they have equally lower salaries now (although this may be shifting...) Others were happy with lower tax bills...but not happy with the lack of services provided by the new home state. A few are happy with the choice the made.

This is home to me... it would have to be PRETTY damn bad for me to leave. I don't think any of us posting here have it as bad as I'd need it to be .... we all have PC's and electricity, right?

I know there are things that annoy me here, but I also know the grass is not always greener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey