Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,373,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
no doubt in my mind state will go bankrupt
I think most states will. Florida's talking about it now, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,972,828 times
Wonderful. I don't have to worry about this now because I still have my job, but with 500,000 to 1 million people expected to be laid off in '09...I probably WILL have to worry about this. I'll probably be one of the suckers that gets laid off the very day that it all runs out. I can't say I'm surprised. Political corruption aside, so many people have abused unemployment benefits.

Then, 35-40 years from now when I retire, there'll be no Social Security or Medicare.

It's like I'm flushing 1/4 of my paycheck down the toilet 2x a month.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,129,262 times
This is such a sad state of affairs... I'm unemployed at the moment so am definitely concerned. Thanks for posting.

Can't believe where this state and country is heading... corporate employees are being asked to take a paycut, I think we should reduce the amounts of pensions and find ways to cut other gov't excesses too!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,535,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
This is such a sad state of affairs... I'm unemployed at the moment so am definitely concerned. Thanks for posting.

Can't believe where this state and country is heading... corporate employees are being asked to take a paycut, I think we should reduce the amounts of pensions and find ways to cut other gov't excesses too!
dont worry, first off they will find away to give benefits to unemployed workers, I was talking to a union carpenter and he is not working so there are alot of union boys who need that unemployment so they will find a way. However the whole situation in general is nerve racking.

I do think this whole pension system and when I look at page after pages after page of these pensions and in each town, there is NO WAY they can keep this going. Its going to end, sorry it has too!! Its impossible to keep it going without getting more big corporation to foot taxes. What will happen if they dont lure more big companies, people will just leave here. I mean we cant have property tax keep up with all these pensions and health benefits for whole families. Just no way, money is not there. So sleep tight.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:51 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,965,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I think most states will. Florida's talking about it now, too.
Can the country declare bankruptcy? Amazing lately...

Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM

13,410 posts, read 28,766,162 times
Pensions are not the culprit...the culprit is the state who raided those funds to pay for other stuff.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Pensions are not the culprit...the culprit is the state who raided those funds to pay for other stuff.
your the voice of reason, so what are they going to do if lets say the money runs out of unemployment??? What do you think will happen?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,588,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
your the voice of reason, so what are they going to do if lets say the money runs out of unemployment??? What do you think will happen?
Higher gasoline taxes.

Higher sales tax.

Higher property tax.

Institute an annual motor vehicle property tax.

THE END of having any (if any) leftover $$$ in pocket as we now know it.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,723,220 times
NJ will find a way to pay UE. My guess is an increased gas tax to start off then higher property taxes, followed by a a business tax (mentioned in the article). This state robs Peter to pay Paul, and not a single person ever says "wait, this is out of control, we must stop the corruption and double, triple, and quadruple dipping by some of these workers". Everyone turns a blind eye and buries their head back in the sand.

Last night my GF and I had a very long talk about getting out of here. We've come to the conclusion that the taxes, housing costs, and overall burden on the average NJ resident is not worth living here. All my complaining finally is making her listen!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Higher gasoline taxes.

Higher sales tax.

Higher property tax.

Institute an annual motor vehicle property tax.

THE END of having any (if any) leftover $$$ in pocket as we now know it.
this is not good!!! not too happy with those answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey