Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Heres yet the start of another thread about the out of control cost to live in New Jersey and how the poster can't wait to get out of this state. This this type of informative debate seems to anger most on this board so it will be nice to see someone else crucified for making this point rather than me.
why not comment on my thoughts about Chris Christie and consolidation? I personally think it's an interesting topic. I don't see the OP being crucified, do you?

And, FTR, the OP's post is not a "debate", it's a vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why not comment on my thoughts about Chris Christie and consolidation? I personally think it's an interesting topic.
Amen. We all know it needs to be done so if he wants to do it I say more power to him.

Quote:
I don't see the OP being crucified, do you?
Especially ironic since I'm still bearing the stigmata of the "Buck Week" thread!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:04 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaofchicken View Post
There is a lot of stuff to here, and it has almost everything to enjoy.. however it is becoming ridiculously expensive. After paying a 30% Fed Tax, $9,200 a year in property taxes, out of control NJ taxes, 7% sales tax I have no money. This state is becoming more of a welfare state for Trenton, Camden and Newark. The political corruption unbelievable... Im counting down the days, until I can find a job out state and leave!!
There's a lot more to consider in moving out of NJ than the taxes. I moved from NJ to Oklahoma at the beginning of this year. We love it here in Oklahoma, but not everyone would be comfortable here. We have low taxes, low property prices, lower unemployment rate than the rest of the nation, and lots of sunshine. Winters (except for this week) are mild, and summers are hot, but not as humid as NJ. But, because of the lower taxes, we have less services. I prefer lower taxes and less services, but some people who move here begin to criticize the lack of what they consider "essential" services (new, well lit ballpark for Little League).

Moving from the expensive northeast will require a change in lifestyle that is more than just the taxes. To say nothing about the bagels and pizza! LOL. Good luck with what you decide. We're very happy we made the move, but not everyone is.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:14 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,192 times
Quote:
why not comment on my thoughts about Chris Christie and consolidation? I personally think it's an interesting topic. I don't see the OP being crucified, do you?

And, FTR, the OP's post is not a "debate", it's a vent.

It would seem appropriate to comment on Chris Christie or consolidation if they were part of the OPs thread.....but they weren't. Once you vent then its open to comment/debate ?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:22 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,825 times
i agree with the op. this state is out of control with spending in towns on things that dont need to be done. i live in aberdeen. they have 2 clerks for one dept in each dept(taxes,water collection. both work all day. they now have saturdays open at the recycling dept for drop offs of cans and bottles or newspapers. so now they have to pay overtime to a town worker.Why? i have to say one thing about our mayor. he is trying his best to get our re-evaluations postponed. i give myself about a year left to live here. i will be foreclosed on because my taxes will go up about $4,400 to 8,500 a year. i have an old home 1930's 976 square feet. 2 bedrooms 1 bath. no renovations no add ons. they assesed me at 300,000. i wish i could sell my home for that much. they are crazy. i bought it 5 years ago for 200,000 so in 5 years it appreciated that much? i went to the meeting the township was having with appraiser to hopefully see if they could maybe lower appraisal. they said no it goes with what is selling in area. well now im appealing with the county. its crazy. oh yea and im on unemployment and my husband is disabled. cant work. but i keep my head up cause i know it could be worse.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:22 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,166 times
I made the move out of NJ to Charlotte 4+ years ago and yes, property taxes and car insurance are much lower, but that's it. NJ has a very low state income tax (as I recall), very low gas prices in comparision to the rest of the country, groceries are more affordable. I can go on and on.

But does all this really matter? If you make $50k, you'll spend it and if you make $150, you'll spend that too. It doesn't matter where you live. We have the need to buy the latest and the greatest from houses to tech toys.

I don't mean you personally, just people in general. When you make more money, you buy a bigger house, a nicer car, a bigger tv, you opt for the more expensive phone plan, you go out to eat more often, etc...

Personally, I'd rather live modestly in NJ where I'm surrounded with my family... all the people that are near and dear to me than live in paradise itself.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 AM

yea i agree with living modestly. honestly my husband and i were living on 45,000 a year.no lie and i bought a house. i have no car payments very little in cc debt. but still with my taxes going up its going to be near impossible for me to live in this house. unless i get a good paying job of about 50,000 a year. which i do not see happening. this has been my kids home for 15 years. we rented before we bought. its my dream home. even though its old and creaky,i will do my best not to lose it but this state makes it impossible. i have lived elsewhere before but always come back to jersey

Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
It would seem appropriate to comment on Chris Christie or consolidation if they were part of the OPs thread.....but they weren't. Once you vent then its open to comment/debate ?
yes! what else are we supposed to do? someone gripes, and we can't comment?

ok, you've proven with your posts you are not interested in constructive dialogue, you don't want to discuss WHY taxes are high, you don't want to discuss WHAT can be done about it, all you want to do is moan and complain that people here (with the exception of you, of course) are deaf dumb and blind. thread after thread you've deflected real discussion. if I'm wrong, please point me to threads that prove otherwise.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM

ps: i dont have a cell phone or cable. and shop at aldi. love that store. my kids or myself do not wear designer clothes. our one little extra is internet. i cannot live without that.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
i agree with the op. this state is out of control with spending in towns on things that dont need to be done. i live in aberdeen. they have 2 clerks for one dept in each dept(taxes,water collection. both work all day. they now have saturdays open at the recycling dept for drop offs of cans and bottles or newspapers. so now they have to pay overtime to a town worker.Why? i have to say one thing about our mayor. he is trying his best to get our re-evaluations postponed. i give myself about a year left to live here. i will be foreclosed on because my taxes will go up about $4,400 to 8,500 a year. i have an old home 1930's 976 square feet. 2 bedrooms 1 bath. no renovations no add ons. they assesed me at 300,000. i wish i could sell my home for that much. they are crazy. i bought it 5 years ago for 200,000 so in 5 years it appreciated that much? i went to the meeting the township was having with appraiser to hopefully see if they could maybe lower appraisal. they said no it goes with what is selling in area. well now im appealing with the county. its crazy. oh yea and im on unemployment and my husband is disabled. cant work. but i keep my head up cause i know it could be worse.
i sincerely hope this isn't the case, but it sounds like your town was reassessed. during a reassessment, your tax rate will go down. considering you're saying taxes will rise almost 100%, i've got to imagine you're thinking the tax rate will stay the same, which isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey