Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 AM
mbk mbk started this thread

15 posts, read 95,095 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a NJ town that is really walkable and people actually walk and use the downtown. We are looking to relocate, my husband works in biotech and is currently job hunting. I'm looking to live in a town where I don't need to drive to the grocery store, and it has to be a good grocery store (like whole foods/wild oats), and good restaurants.
I don't mind a small older home, around 600K-700K.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We currently live in Carmel Indiana, suburban HELL! I can't take it any more!
Thanks, Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk View Post
Can anyone recommend a NJ town that is really walkable and people actually walk and use the downtown. We are looking to relocate, my husband works in biotech and is currently job hunting. I'm looking to live in a town where I don't need to drive to the grocery store, and it has to be a good grocery store (like whole foods/wild oats), and good restaurants.
I don't mind a small older home, around 600K-700K.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We currently live in Carmel Indiana, suburban HELL! I can't take it any more!
Thanks, Michelle

Not sure about grocery shopping but Princeton is a great walking town and nice area to live in.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
NJ is a big state. Well, actually it's little as states go, but still, there are at least many dozens of such places in the state, so you might need to narrow it down at least a little bit. Otherwise, you'll be sent off to Cape May. Also, what is 'walkable'? Where I live now, it's about a mile and a quarter to the grocery store, but I wouldn't dream of walking it. Where I used to live, it was about a mile and a quarter, and I used to walk it all the time. At least when the weather wasn't prohibitive.

I'll need to go off and earn some money for a while, but absent any other criteria, look up Madison. It does have that sort of downtown, as well as a remarkable range of excellent restaurants, two universities and a college, terrific houses in your price range, great schools, and an easy commute to NYC and various points between as well as around. And it also IS the place where I used to live and walked to the grocery store. Not to the Whole Foods, though. There is one, and it's walking distance from a lot of places, just not where I was. Certainly can't be the worst place to start out...

Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
There is a Wild Oats in downtown Princeton. There is also a Star Bucks, CVS, Thomas Sweets, a couple of small book stores and up scale shops like Coach, Ann Taylor, DWR (furniture), some really nice restuarants and a small movie theatre. The homes near the downtown area are older and for the most part very cute. They are in your price range.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM
mbk mbk started this thread

15 posts, read 95,095 times
Thanks so much for the replies. I'll definitely check out Madison too.
If anyone is familiar with Huntington Village on LI, that's the kind of town I'm looking for. A place where you can get everything you need within a 1 mile radius. Good community feeling and lots of locally owned places. I'm tired of drive throughs and strip malls. I have 3 kids and I'd like to cut down on being a taxi driver.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Have a look at Morristown also. Nice, historic town square and a pretty good retail mix. Also gives you easy access to Manhattan, GREAT! place to walk around

Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 AM

157 posts, read 780,508 times
look at Westfield, NJ

Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 PM

170 posts, read 962,382 times
If you like the Jersey Shore - Red Bank has a nice downtown area.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM

15 posts, read 78,271 times
I'll need more info to point you in the right direction. Do you have to consider schools, for example? Right now, I'd recommend Edgewater, Ridgefield, Palisades Park, historic downtown Jersey City, Hoboken to name a few. Some are a little suburban and the last two are urban. All these areas are safe and I'm sure you can find something in your price range.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 86,965 times
Default Walkable downtown?

Ridgewood in Bergen County has a very nice downtown. Walkable depending on how close you live to downtown. There is a Whole Foods and many other stores. Housing is expensive but schools are good. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey