Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,771,914 times

Advertisements

I love my cable internet. I'm with you, had Verizon and hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 22,106 times
EEEPNJ, the discussion of which one is a good ISP and which one isn't is quite pointless actually. Why? Because unless you are willing to move (and let's face it, few of us will move to get a better internet provider) you can only choose out of what's available to you in the place you live in. Where are you in NJ?

With rare exceptions, you will have a choice of 2 ISPs: one is your cableco (Comcast, Charter, Optimum Online, Time Warner, Road Runner, etc), another is your telco (Verizon, AT & T, Embarq, Qwest, etc). The 3rd choice is pretty much a non-choice because of the tremendously slow speeds and great cost: internet through sattelite (ex. : HughesNet, WildBlue).

If you have FiOS available to you (call them or check the website), I reccomend them greatly. Their only weak point is their billing system but once that is resolved you'll love them forever and ever. If you have DSL from Verizon that means you are in the potential FiOS territory but how soon it will become available to you will depend on how remote/populous/wealthy your town is. If you are in the Verizon territory, you won't be able to get internet from other telcos.

Among the cable providers, Optimum Online is pretty excellent as well. Comcast is not as excellent but plenty of people like it. Once again, if you have one cableco servicing your area (like Comcast), all others will be unavailable (with rare exceptions).

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,723,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR2 View Post
EEEPNJ, the discussion of which one is a good ISP and which one isn't is quite pointless actually. Why? Because unless you are willing to move (and let's face it, few of us will move to get a better internet provider) you can only choose out of what's available to you in the place you live in. Where are you in NJ?

With rare exceptions, you will have a choice of 2 ISPs: one is your cableco (Comcast, Charter, Optimum Online, Time Warner, Road Runner, etc), another is your telco (Verizon, AT & T, Embarq, Qwest, etc). The 3rd choice is pretty much a non-choice because of the tremendously slow speeds and great cost: internet through sattelite (ex. : HughesNet, WildBlue).

If you have FiOS available to you (call them or check the website), I reccomend them greatly. Their only weak point is their billing system but once that is resolved you'll love them forever and ever. If you have DSL from Verizon that means you are in the potential FiOS territory but how soon it will become available to you will depend on how remote/populous/wealthy your town is. If you are in the Verizon territory, you won't be able to get internet from other telcos.

Among the cable providers, Optimum Online is pretty excellent as well. Comcast is not as excellent but plenty of people like it. Once again, if you have one cableco servicing your area (like Comcast), all others will be unavailable (with rare exceptions).

Good luck!

verizon and at&t co-exist in many areas for DSL.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 22,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
verizon and at&t co-exist in many areas for DSL.

Really? That's strange. I don't doubt you, but could you give me a couple town names where that's the case?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,723,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR2 View Post
Really? That's strange. I don't doubt you, but could you give me a couple town names where that's the case?
sure. westfield.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 AM

23,891 posts, read 33,633,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Hey everyone - belated Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah and HAPPY 2009!
Belated Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah and HAPPY 2009 to you as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I have been having computer problems from HELL and been too busy to be on line at work. I NEED a new ISP... I loathe Verizon!!!!!!!! (Who is part of my problem....) I do not have cable, but direct TV....

Any suggestions? I'll check from work! Thanks!
We've had Comcast since they were @Home, and have been pretty trouble free except one year. The problem was old equipment, once that got replaced we were fine. We have Comcast in the new house, haven't had any problems yet.

I like comcast because it's pretty painless once you activate the modem. You can hook up a router, and everything works.

My son had Verizon years ago in college. From what I remember it was a pain. My last neighbor recently had them, there were days when they had to call to get things straightened out. For some reason the user name and password would get messed up, what a hassle to have to hit connect every time you want to go online.

My son installs Wild Blue, it's not something we're interested in. While we will be switching our TV's to DirecTV, we're going to keep Comcast until FIOS is done here. Everyone I speak to is happy with FIOS.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I assumed Tim meant AT&T DSL, not wireless?! The wireless is always an option, how much is it?
Ah, I see what you mean. D'oh!

Usually the card is free after a 2-yr. agreement and mail-in rebate. Price per month is $60 with 5GB data transfer included (that's both download and uplink). What I like is that you can get a card that goes international.

Transfer rates are typically 700 Kbps - 1.7 Mbps download and 500 Kbps - 1.2 Mbps uplink. Not like the 30Mbps I get on Comcast, but ....

Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,166,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
+1 on this idea.

As long as you don't need to either upload or download lots of huge files (DBs, mp3s, movies, etc.) or do lots of streaming videos, you may want to look into wireless access through AT&T.

I have Comcast and need it for all the photos and graphics stuff I deal with, but I also use AT&T with my MacBook Pro when I'm on the road. I love the connectivity. Sure it's not T3 speed, but it is very serviceable and I can use it if Comcast ever goes out.
+1 on AT&T Wireless. I've got this now, and I use it when I go to clients who do not have internet access readily available. Surprisingly good speeds.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 791,145 times
I had Verizon i loved it never had a problem with them just every six months or so i had to reset it.

Comcast on the other hand it always knocks off us offline and you have to unplug it for 10 seconds and then replug it in and pray that the local or limited message doesn't pop up.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
Hey guys... thanks for the feedback. I can upgrade to FIOS, I'm probably doing it Saturday, but scared to death as I've heard FIOS installation horror stories.... UGH. If that does not work, they are going to come to my house and fix DSL on the 15th.... grumble........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey