Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 PM

104 posts, read 254,844 times

Advertisements

So i'm starting kaplan classes at the center in newark (one gateway center newark nj) Feb 2.Classes run till March 22. kaplan offers a discounted rate at a hotel near by but thats about 4200, with NO meals. thats a lot more than i can afford

So i need a place starting Feb 1 until March 22.

Furnished, with internet, and quiet that costs for those 49 days $1000-2000

I checked out University Centre but its about a 20 min walk each way. I'm a girl from texas, whos not used to walking esp without friends.

Anyway, if you guys could please suggest something I'd really appreciate it. Some place close would be awesome.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:18 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,986,311 times
Tough request. I don't have any specific ideas. But your caution about solitary walks is reasonable -- Newark does have its crime issues. You might also consider looking for a place outside of Newark on the train line for easy access; obviosly adds more travelling time, but it could at least open up some other options.

Good luck !

Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,398,397 times
The only thing I can think would be some of the crappy extended stay places down at the airport, which you'd need a car/cab to get to/from. I'm surprised University Centre would do a 2-month deal like that- it might be your best choice. There's a light rail station a block from there that would take you right to Penn Station, which is attached to Gateway.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,635,012 times
u should be able to get a roommate with that budget roommates.com . find someone along a bus or train station within 3 miles max of Gateway, any further than that would mean a longer commute. Ur lucky the class is right at pennstation. And remember there are 2 pennstations, one in newark and one in manhattan

http://www.njtransit.com/

Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Tough request. I don't have any specific ideas. But your caution about solitary walks is reasonable -- Newark does have its crime issues. You might also consider looking for a place outside of Newark on the train line for easy access; obviosly adds more travelling time, but it could at least open up some other options.

Good luck !
seems like to get a cheaper place i'd have to go outwards, but that means either a car or bus. how is the weather there? can you walk 20 mins with the cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The only thing I can think would be some of the crappy extended stay places down at the airport, which you'd need a car/cab to get to/from. I'm surprised University Centre would do a 2-month deal like that- it might be your best choice. There's a light rail station a block from there that would take you right to Penn Station, which is attached to Gateway.
University Centre doesnt do 2 month leases. They said that if someone is subleasing i could take over but i cant find anyone or any place to search for people who have subleases for that place

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
u should be able to get a roommate with that budget roommates.com . find someone along a bus or train station within 3 miles max of Gateway, any further than that would mean a longer commute. Ur lucky the class is right at pennstation. And remember there are 2 pennstations, one in newark and one in manhattan

New Jersey Transit - Home
the thing is i'll be studying pretty hard and if that person isnt studying as well i dont know how that will work.

this is exhausting!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM

324 posts, read 808,079 times
A Girl from Texas walking alone at least 20 minutes a day in Downtown Newark doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Actually it sounds like a really bad Idea. Statistics are bound to catch up to you. I would seriously look at your other options.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:46 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,986,311 times
From purely a weather perspective, 20 minute walk is doable, but there could be some truly nasty cold or snowy days in February.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM

does anyone know anything about the newark ymca lodging?
[url]http://www.newarkymca.org/lodging/lodging.htm[/ul]

its pretty affordable for a deluxe room with private bathroom, 700$/mon

is it safe? according to the site lots of students live there. but i've never been so no idea how it looks or is in reality.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,636,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskin View Post
does anyone know anything about the newark ymca lodging?
[url]http://www.newarkymca.org/lodging/lodging.htm[/ul]

its pretty affordable for a deluxe room with private bathroom, 700$/mon

is it safe? according to the site lots of students live there. but i've never been so no idea how it looks or is in reality.
goodlord no ...

How much are you saving on tuition by taking this class in Newark? What type of class is it, exactly? Do you have any idea how bad of a city Newark is, crime-wise?

This is a bad idea all around. Don't do it. Someone needs to tell you this straight up.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
zas

95 posts, read 283,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
goodlord no ...

How much are you saving on tuition by taking this class in Newark? What type of class is it, exactly? Do you have any idea how bad of a city Newark is, crime-wise?

This is a bad idea all around. Don't do it. Someone needs to tell you this straight up.

Get a life (clean version only for the board)...Many students go to college in Newark...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey