Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was just in aruba and they had this yogurt my wife loved for the baby. i believe the brand is german, ehrmann. any german food stores around central jersey?

Look into "Aldi", its a German supermarket.

I'm not sure if they are there but I just found one in Clifton. They have a lot of items from Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Look into "Aldi", its a German supermarket.

I'm not sure if they are there but I just found one in Clifton. They have a lot of items from Germany.
thanks, i did think of that one and there is one very close to me. im not sure i noticed many actual german products (except sometimes they highlight different things in their online newsletter and i believe a recent one was german stuff) but i will stop by there soon specifically looking for those types of products.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM

19 posts, read 39,646 times
Default German culture in Northern NJ

I am from West Milford, NJ, in northern Passaic County, and there is a lot of German culture here.
(No this isn't the Black Forest its New Jersey)

At least when I graduated high school 20 years ago I would say there were a lot of people with German last names and grandparents that spoke German. There is a great German store in Ringwood called the Alpine Deli (which is right next to West Milford).

The story is that when the Germans saw Greenwood Lake it reminded them of their home in the old country. Greenwood Lake is a very beautiful 9 mile long lake that spans the border of NY and NJ. Along the lake are many German restaurants like Breezy Point Inn http://www.breezypointinn.com/. This is a excellent place to go with the family and they have an Oktoberfest.

This used to be a German restaurant/ Inn on Greenwood Lake on the NY side-its called Anton's on the Lake now but I think the fare is similar. The Castle Tavern was another big German restaurant on the Lake that has changed hands recently. In NJ we had the Hofbrau House (now is Italian) and the Black Rock Inn (in OakRidge)

But, back to NJ. We also have Otto's Deli in Bloomingdale, NJ which has good potato salad and other specialties.
There are many German influences all around if you know what to look for. The Lake region of northwest NJ has many chalet-style lake houses and names like Lindy Lake (named for Charles Lindbergh who flew over it)In Sparta for example, by Lake Mohawk there is a German Christmas Market.See this link http://http://alstedefarms.com/event...tmas-market-2/.

I really could go on and on-there is German influence in everything from Ski resorts
(picture is Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ)
to German-American parades in this area
(Steuben Parade in NYC draws many NJ residents)
not to mention many giant BMW dealerships.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
Schuetzen Park in North Bergen - a little piece of Germany in Little Havana:

Volksfest.org

Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM

19 posts, read 39,646 times
Default More German places in NJ

Continued from my previous post...
In the Greenwood Lake area (West Milford, NJ) you will find many German-Americans, not many are first generation though. But if you are thinking of coming here from Germany I think you will find the climate similar to parts of northern Germany.
Greenwood Lake

Winter Carnival at Breezy Point Inn, Greenwood Lake, NY 2013
Its hard to believe this spot is so close to the NYC, but its only about an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey