Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
And I think Brookdale is one of the better ranked community colleges in NJ as it is.
my brother actually did a year in brookdale before transfering to a 4 year college. i find it funny that it is considered "better ranked." its probably better ranked because they are smart about making it so the students can transfer the classes to count in their 4 year school. as my brother describes it, it was basically an extension of high school. the dumbest kids and a curriculum thats as challenging as the lowest common denominator can handle.

thats generally speaking, i think its a good path to save a few bucks and end up with a degree from a highly ranked 4 year college. so a smart kid could benefit from utilizing brookdale in this manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 PM

26 posts, read 44,039 times
I graduated from Marlboro HS in the 90s and there is no way 1/3 went to community college. About 10% went to Rutgers, many went to Ivy League/equivalents, and the vast majority went to schools like UDel, UMD, Michigan, Binghamton, Syracuse, etc. not sure if things have changed but definitely not CC central. And out of those who did, many went to 4 year schools after.

I personally hated the town and I'd never move back, but I did get a good education.

I'm sure people roll their eyes when I say where I grew up but I definitely don't fit the stereotype. But it was very keeping up with the Joneses.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartRutgers View Post
I graduated from Marlboro HS in the 90s and there is no way 1/3 went to community college. About 10% went to Rutgers, many went to Ivy League/equivalents, and the vast majority went to schools like UDel, UMD, Michigan, Binghamton, Syracuse, etc. not sure if things have changed but definitely not CC central. And out of those who did, many went to 4 year schools after.

I personally hated the town and I'd never move back, but I did get a good education.

I'm sure people roll their eyes when I say where I grew up but I definitely don't fit the stereotype. But it was very keeping up with the Joneses.
i graduated in '98. in high school, my friends were not nearly as bright as they were in college. not that they were dumb, but it was more of a mixture because public high schools arent selective. even still, most of them went to some form of 4 year college. i have no idea of the stats, but based on my experience, i think the % to brookdale wasnt very high and i bet its quite low when compared to other high schools.

why would people roll their eyes when you say you are from marlboro? its a good town with good people (like most towns). whatever with the "keeping up with the jones'" attacks that mostly come from miserable malcontents. its not worth defending your town from people who are idiots. dont worry about whether or not you fit stereotypes. who cares?

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 08-21-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM

256 posts, read 572,753 times
http://njmonthly.com/downloads/1527/...hschools08.pdf

This is the 2008 ranking...it shows 24% to two year schools, and 4% to no college. However, I am still looking for the 33% listing.

Here is 2010 with 25% https://app.box.com/shared/64q5q1jixe. 2012 has no data.

In any case, even 28% going to Brookdale shows how overrated the schools are and how far they are from the caliber people who live there pretend they are.

Also, stop drinking the Kool Aid on reputation. Everyone knows Marlboro has TERRIBLE reputation, among the worst if not the worst in NJ in terms of snobbishness and attitude particularly in terms of it being unmerited. You have multiple people in this thread saying so.

It's quite typical. I remember people in high school saying "it's like this everywhere"...the same people that went to join a fraternity or sorority that was filled with Marlboro people and never leave that social circle their entire lives. Sad.

Just say you're from "Momounth County" or the "Shore". That will draw much less derision and stereotyping.

Last edited by ScarletKnightJet; 08-21-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
among the worst if not the worst in NJ in terms of snobbishness and attitude particularly in terms of it being unmerited. You have multiple people in this thread saying so.
are you currently attending marlboro high school?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:

This is the 2008 ranking...it shows 24% to two year schools, and 4% to no college. However, I am still looking for the 33% listing.

In any case, even 28% going to Brookdale shows how overrated the schools are and how far they are from the caliber people who live there pretend they are.

Also, stop drinking the Kool Aid on reputation. Everyone knows Marlboro has TERRIBLE reputation, among the worst if not the worst in NJ in terms of snobbishness and attitude particularly in terms of it being unmerited. You have multiple people in this thread saying so.

It's quite typical. I remember people in high school saying "it's like this everywhere"...the same people that went to join a fraternity or sorority that was filled with Marlboro people and never leave that social circle their entire lives. Sad.

Just say you're from "Momounth County" or the "Shore". That will draw much less derision and stereotyping.
I'm not sure if you're directing the "kool aid" comment to me since I asked for the stats, I have no dog in the hunt and am just interested in the facts, I assure you I have no rose colored glasses to a place I've really never been to. From the SAT scores and grad rate and such, it seems to be a fine district. I just don't have an ax to grind. Would I move there? No (way too far from hubs work, closer to mine however), so you don't need to pour it on so thick.

All the 28% of grads go to Brookdale? No other CC?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM

26 posts, read 44,039 times
Quote:

I do say I'm from Monmouth County.

Interesting that Marlboro is ranked so low compared to when I went to school. I think it was ranked in the top 10 at some point in the 90s (I can't find anything to confirm this, though, I could be making it up). But 123? wow.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm not sure if you're directing the "kool aid" comment to me since I asked for the stats, I have no dog in the hunt and am just interested in the facts, I assure you I have no rose colored glasses to a place I've really never been to. From the SAT scores and grad rate and such, it seems to be a fine district. I just don't have an ax to grind. Would I move there? No (way too far from hubs work, closer to mine however), so you don't need to pour it on so thick.

All the 28% of grads go to Brookdale? No other CC?
im not really sure how someone takes scarlet seriously. are we really supposed to be so childish as to label the residents of a town as "snobbish." people as a group arent snobbish, those who call people "snobbish" are in some way jealous or feel slighted by some people in a town. scarletts issue rests solely on his own shortcomings.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM

256 posts, read 572,753 times
The kool aid was for Captain which he is still drinking, I see...I would assume Brookdale (not like it matters).

Marlboro is snobbish, that's putting it nicely. This board is supposed to be to discuss reputation. Do people here not (errantly) state all the time that Hoboken is "fratty" or Jersey City is "dangerous"...without making any substantiation?

Yet I am substantiating my comments about the school quality and it's continued drop and you are just pretending it isn't true.

Take off the blinders. You're showing yourself as a typical Marlboro person right now, pretending everyone is jealous of you and just wishes they could overpay to live amongst Staten Islanders, take 20 minutes to drive a mile on Route 9, overpay for taxes on schools and services, and see their property values decrease. It's the people there that have the shortcomings, wishing they could have afforded Great Neck or Livingston.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
The kool aid was for Captain which he is still drinking, I see...I would assume Brookdale (not like it matters).

Marlboro is snobbish, that's putting it nicely. This board is supposed to be to discuss reputation. Do people here not (errantly) state all the time that Hoboken is "fratty" or Jersey City is "dangerous"...without making any substantiation?

Yet I am substantiating my comments about the school quality and it's continued drop and you are just pretending it isn't true.

Take off the blinders. You're showing yourself as a typical Marlboro person right now, pretending everyone is jealous of you and just wishes they could overpay to live amongst Staten Islanders, take 20 minutes to drive a mile on Route 9, overpay for taxes on schools and services, and see their property values decrease. It's the people there that have the shortcomings, wishing they could have afforded Great Neck or Livingston.
Yes it is to discuss which I thought we were doing. Why are you so bitter? What blinders am I wearing? My God I've never been to the place (I live over 70 miles away). I know Hoboken and JC, I don't know Marlboro so I'm just asking for facts, not conjecture or hyperbole for Chrissakes. That's apparently too much to ask for. Take a chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey