Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,902 times

Advertisements

The sheer size of it – hovering at about $900 billion — has prompted more protests that are now causing some moderate and conservative Democrats to flinch and, worse, hesitate.

The anxiety over lost momentum seemed almost palpable this week as the president in television interviews voiced frustration with his White House’s progress and the way his recovery program was being demonized as a Democratic spending frenzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
Well-it is not a stimulus bill. It is a pork-filled piece of crap spending bill. $$ for smoking cessation programs, STD education funding, tons of money for ACORN, etc. etc. etc. Plenty of other pork that I cannot recall at the moment. I thought during the election Obama was going to be against earmarks and pork. This stuff would be bad enough in regular bills but to put it into a so-called stimulus bill and then run around and use fear that if this isn't passed yesterday 5 million more people will lose their jobs is just disgusting. All it will do is put this country further and further into debt.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,982,514 times
A few questions:

1. What does this have to do with New Jersey specifically? There's a politics forum on this site.

2. Money for ACORN!? Honestly!? What poorly written e-mail forward did you get that information from?

3. Define "pork." Pork apparently now means infrastructure improvements which require WORKERS to build them.

4. Define "earmark." Do half the people on this site even know what an earmark is or how it is implemented? I doubt it.

Learn some basic civics folks...

Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
A few questions:

1. What does this have to do with New Jersey specifically? There's a politics forum on this site.

2. Money for ACORN!? Honestly!? What poorly written e-mail forward did you get that information from?

3. Define "pork." Pork apparently now means infrastructure improvements which require WORKERS to build them.

4. Define "earmark." Do half the people on this site even know what an earmark is or how it is implemented? I doubt it.

Learn some basic civics folks...
Actually there always threads running on here that have nothing to do with NJ and I am sure you will protest about them as well.

I don't get my information from E-mails sorry to disappoint you. The ACORN $$ has been on the news-many different news sources including CNN, FOX and my local ABC not to mention in the newspaper and it will be provided to ACORN and other groups as part of the 5.2 billion for "Neighborhood Stabilization Programs".

I never mentioned anything about infrastructure, did I? I mentioned ridiculous things like smoking cessation programs. Exactly what will that do to stimulate the economy?

I know basic civics, thank you. I have read parts of the bill and some of the ammendments to know that this bill and the numerous ammendments are in fact full of pork, earmarks and paybacks.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,793 times
A "stimulus" package is by definition spending.

And Obama is nowhere near blowing what Bush managed to blow on trying to bail out his banker friends and the economy in his last year.

Of course Obama will end up spending way more than Bush managed, but seriously it's a trillion dollars - it's about 1/7th of what was spend/loaned/guaranteed before Obama got the job.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I know basic civics, thank you. I have read parts of the bill and some of the ammendments to know that this bill and the numerous ammendments are in fact full of pork, earmarks and paybacks.
And you still have not explained what an earmark is. Instead of parroting Limbaugh's talking points why don't you read up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earmark_(politics)

Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
And you still have not explained what an earmark is. Instead of parroting Limbaugh's talking points why don't you read up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earmark_(politics)
You crack me up. I don't listen to Rush-sorry to disappoint you again. And before you bring it up-I don't listen to Hannity either. Again, I know what an earmark is. I don't feel the need to argue about this anymore but this bill and ammendments are heavily pork laden, filled with paybacks and there are things that may not technically be earmarks but which would have the same effect as earkmarks.

Last edited by nicolem; 02-05-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I never mentioned anything about infrastructure, did I? I mentioned ridiculous things like smoking cessation programs. Exactly what will that do to stimulate the economy?
If it is handing money out to people then it will stimulate the economy, far more than bailing out banks does.

In that particular case I would assume it would employ some people to work on those programs. If they do advertising then it would "stimulate" the advertising industry. If they do use things like nicotine gum it'll "stimulate" the companies that make that stuff, etc, etc.

It's just plain common sense that any spending has a "stimulatory" effect on the economy. Sure there are things you can spend on that will have better long term multipliers and so on, but unless that smoking cessation program just hides the money under a mattress it will "stimulate" the economy.

Of course "stimulus" just means "inflation" in reality, but since everybody seems to think the government has to try prevent all the necessary (and painful) changes that a recession will bring about we're stuck with it no matter who is in power.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:11 AM

How is it that it's been totally ignored that all of the construction projects have a "buy American" clause in them? All steel, concrete, etc...must come from the U.S. Is that not stimulative?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
How is it that it's been totally ignored that all of the construction projects have a "buy American" clause in them? All steel, concrete, etc...must come from the U.S. Is that not stimulative?

Well unforutunately they did not pass the "buy American" clause as I would have liked. I heard on the news this morning that they are adding language that the "buy American" provisions must not violate trade agreements which I personally think is pure BS. Sounds like another loophole and work around for companies to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey