Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,443,518 times

Advertisements

any one see the article in todays asbury park press about county park employees living in houses for next to nothing rent? i think the highest paid rent was for 600. does this bother anyone else or am i just a little jealous that i have to pay a mortgage,utilites,taxes and im unemployed and these people are making up to 90 grand and dont have to pay anything but 600 a month in rent.Park system offers bargain basement rent | APP.com | Asbury Park Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:54 PM

4,288 posts, read 10,776,631 times
Its been part of the job forever. The parks department built these houses years ago as a perk to its Rangers.

Its not like its costing anyone money to give them a place to live thats already been built...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,680,253 times
It appears as profiling and discrimination because they are only available to a select few. Only the govt can get away with this.

So what's the difference between renting these homes to city employees and cities who give special financing and discounted homes to Teachers and Cops to get them to live in undesirable areas? I also see that program as redlining, profiling and discrimination as well as morally wrong.

The catch is would you live in Asbury Park? Do you own full body armor and an arsenal of weaponry to protect yourself? Or for Teachers, the biggest whiners and Cops, members of the worlds largest gang of street thugs are given their own special deals if they choose to live in slums and ghettos.

No thanks....if I were any of them I would pay full price for safety sake.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 AM

4,288 posts, read 10,776,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It appears as profiling and discrimination because they are only available to a select few. Only the govt can get away with this.

So what's the difference between renting these homes to city employees and cities who give special financing and discounted homes to Teachers and Cops to get them to live in undesirable areas? I also see that program as redlining, profiling and discrimination as well as morally wrong.

The catch is would you live in Asbury Park? Do you own full body armor and an arsenal of weaponry to protect yourself? Or for Teachers, the biggest whiners and Cops, members of the worlds largest gang of street thugs are given their own special deals if they choose to live in slums and ghettos.

No thanks....if I were any of them I would pay full price for safety sake.
did you even read the article? these houses are in the middle of nowhere in a state park... The houses are already built, and its not like they could sell a home in a national park. Plus these guys are on call 24/7 and if they have to commute, that will not be good

you completely missed the point of the article...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey