Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times

Advertisements

I live in northeast Pa. We go down the shore every year for vacation (sometimes A.C. sometimes The Wildwoods). I've always wanted to move somewhere close to the ocean. I'm a blue collar guy, and my question is can an "average joe" live close to the ocean without being a millionaire? Is there any jobs down that way? Are the taxes insane ect.? Any info would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
You can live in Seaside heights if you are an average person, and Asbury park too

Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
I grew up "down the shore" and my father was a blue collar worker.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:17 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Not at all. There's plenty of shore cities and towns that are affordable for the average person. (I mean it's not cheap, but it's not expensive)

Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Toms River comes to mind.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
in Wildwood right now(its our vacation spot too) you can make a heck of a deal on nice single homes or a townhouse you can deal even more.. a quick check tells me there are $300k homes in Wildwood right now and they ain't selling. You may be able to grab one for $250k.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM

55 posts, read 197,515 times
We just bought a house in Beach Haven West about a year and a half ago. If you are not familiar that is on the other side of the bay from LBI. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. We paid less well less than $400k for it. It is also on a canal that we have a dock on the access from there to drive a boat into the bay and subsequently into the ocean. Taxes are less than they are on our house up here. We love it.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times
I live in Toms River (Ocean County) - a little north of where you're used to. I live on a lagoon that leads to the open bay. I have the best of both worlds because I'm 10 minutes from the beach but I still have great water views and a place to dock a boat or jet skis. 3 years ago you would have had to shell out at least $500K for a small house on a lagoon. Today you can get under $400K and maybe even lower than that - since nothing has sold in my neighborhood in at least 6 months.

Toms River just went through re-assessments. My taxes were $4900. They assessed my house for the amount I could have sold it for 3 years ago which would have put my taxes at $6500. I'm currently waiting for my new assessment because they had info wrong on my tax card and I brought in comps so I'm expecting my taxes to drop.

The shore areas tend to be a lot of blue collar because there isn't much business and industry. Jobs are scarce all over so although it may be a good time to buy, it's not a good time to look for a job.

Toms River and Brick are large cities. I personally think the taxes are more reasonable here then in a lot of NJ and the services are pretty good.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I live in Toms River (Ocean County) - a little north of where you're used to. I live on a lagoon that leads to the open bay. I have the best of both worlds because I'm 10 minutes from the beach but I still have great water views and a place to dock a boat or jet skis.
Me too! T.R. is a great place to live, and you can get a waterfront home for a decent (not cheap, but good for waterfront) price. I can't wait 'til spring when I can get my boat in and begin fishing!

As far as jobs... Well, Ft. Monmouth was a big employer in the area, and thanks to the inaction of our elected leaders, it's going the way of the dodo. The Asbury Park Press was a big employer, but we all know what's happening with newspapers. Meridian Health and St. Barnabas Health System are two huge employers, though they have shed some jobs too. Of course, there are enough seniors around to keep those companies afloat, most likely.

Most people around here are self-employed. I wouldn't say it's mainly blue collar - there are tons of white collar businesses around (insurance companies, financial services, lawyers, real estate, etc.) to make things pretty diverse. Personally, I was laid off last fall and have spent the past several months getting a seasonal business together and (luckily) the stars have aligned where it looks like things are going to work out alright.

If you are creative and work hard, you can make it happen!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,311 times
How close do you have to be? Lots of average Joes buy in that Villas/Lower Twp area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey