Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

Hello all, in the summer of 09 I will like to buy a condo in Jersey City or somewhere Northen Jersey close to transportation so that I can get to my job in Manhattan. I will be relocating from Brooklyn, NY. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and I know nothing about New Jersey. I heard that Jersey City is up and coming. I heard about Jersey Heights and Journal Square. Are these areas nice and safe? I saw some ad for Harrison Avenue Condos in Journal Square that are affordable. Is it worth it or should I stay away from that area? Also what areas would you recommend in Northen Jersey??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
What is your budget and are you looking to rent or buy? Do you have kids? Will you have a car? These are important questions needing answers so we can help steer you in the right direction.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM

297 posts, read 505,527 times
To be honest, Jersey City and Hoboken are both dumps and always will be dumps. There is a small strip of very nice, new, and classy apts/condos along the riverfront with great views of Manhattan. That is the "renaissance" that everyone keeps talking about. Most of the people live there are young professionals that enjoy fondu, fair trade lattes, and only sleep in NJ. They are 100% manhattanites. If you are young, single, and looking to mingle with yuppie trash, this is the place for you. But, again, stick to the high rise joints close to the river. The rest of the city is still nasty.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:11 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,267 times
Yuppie trash? Wow. I guess it's fair - they have choice phrases of their own they use when referring to people like you

ps. Fondue is spelled with an 'e'.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
To be honest, Jersey City and Hoboken are both dumps and always will be dumps. There is a small strip of very nice, new, and classy apts/condos along the riverfront with great views of Manhattan. That is the "renaissance" that everyone keeps talking about. Most of the people live there are young professionals that enjoy fondu, fair trade lattes, and only sleep in NJ. They are 100% manhattanites. If you are young, single, and looking to mingle with yuppie trash, this is the place for you. But, again, stick to the high rise joints close to the river. The rest of the city is still nasty.
you sound like a fool. only the west side of hoboken is poverty stricken and unsafe. the far west side, by the projects. and apartments on that block are still 1300 for a 1 br.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 AM

297 posts, read 505,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
you sound like a fool. only the west side of hoboken is poverty stricken and unsafe. the far west side, by the projects. and apartments on that block are still 1300 for a 1 br.
You say that the west side of hoboken sucks. I said that the newer developments near the river are classy and nice. Do you see a disagreement there? And as far as the $1,300 goes, I never said the place wasn't overpriced. The newer housing near the river is where people are moving too and that's about $2,000 and up for a 1BR. I wouldn't touch the rest of the city.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
To be honest, Jersey City and Hoboken are both dumps and always will be dumps. There is a small strip of very nice, new, and classy apts/condos along the riverfront with great views of Manhattan. The rest of the city is still nasty.
That is what i disagree with. precisely.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I like the back parts of Hoboken. When I lived there many moons ago all my friends lived there. I lived on Willow St., way in front!!!

People say alot of garbage about the president streets being bad, (Madison, Monroe, etc.) but I have no idea what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey