Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times

Advertisements

A lot of people like mattjd, who moved out of the area due to budget and lifestyle issues, love to bash Essex county online, here and in other forums.

Eh, whatever, I've got places that I love to hate, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Ok, I'm very familiar with Glen Ridge and Montclair, but just a little familiar with Ridgewood. Montclair is going downhill fast, similar to Bloomfield. The farther north you go, the better it is, same as Bloomfield. So, it really depends on which part of Montclair you would be moving to. Also, Montclair hs sucks. For the $$$ you'd be spending on a house, you'd expect better schools, but that is just not the case. Glen Ridge is a VERY nice little community and it has good schools. Some parts of it are stuck in between the trashy parts of Bloomfield and Montclair, but even the southern parts of Glen Ridge aren't bad. It is also very close to the train, and close to the GSP and Rt. 3. There are some nice stores in Montclair that are close to Glen Ridge too. Other than the Mcdonalds on Broad, I wouldn't go into Bloomfield for much. Avoid the Pathmark at Lackawana Plaza, which is close to Glen Ridge. It's ghetto and disgusting. There is a Whole Foods store in Montclair which isn't bad. I know that I'm mentioning a lot of places in Montclair, and there are nice parts of it, but they are pretty expensive and I would probably send my kids to a private school if I lived there. Glen Ridge is cheaper than the nicer areas of Montclair, very nice, safe, and quiet and has better schools. If you are "drawn to diversity" then I'm not sure how Montclair would fit into that. Montclair and Bloomfield certainly look diverse by the numbers, but they are extremely segregated communities. Blacks live on the southern parts of this town, whites live in the nothern parts, and they avoid each other like the plague. Bloomfield is more blue collar, while montlair has a lot of elitist, ultra-liberal snobs that talk a good game, but wouldn't live next to a black or hispanic family if their life depended on it. That's just the facts.
This post is 100% spot on, although you left out that taxes in Glen Ridge are VERY expensive, but this is how this side of Glen Ridge was able to stay nice while everywhere else around it went down the tubes. I spend most of my time in Bloomfield now, but I grew up in the southern part of Glen Ridge, by the trashy section of Montclair, the difference between Glen Ridge & Montclair is like night and day. Even in Glen Ridge, crime exists, mostly non-violent petty crimes, like cars getting broken into at night. The worst parts of Montclair is most of Bloomfield Ave, the Glenfield Park area, New Street, Elm Street, etc. violent crime and muggings happen in this area a lot. This area has gotten better over the last 10-15 years though, a lot of the abanonded builidings I remember seeing were torn down, for example they just opened a 7-11 and a bakery right by the Montclair/Glen Ridge border where that empty Ford dealership used to be, but there is still a lot of run down looking crap around this section. Once you go up the hill, it gets a lot better regardless of what side of town you are on.

Schools in Glen Ridge are excellent, they really prepare you for college and its extremely safe, I think there was one fight the whole time I went there. Montclair & Bloomfield high schools suck, especially in Montclair, I have friends who went there who said there is a lot of racial divide and fights between students. Montclair is very segregated and isn't the diverse utopia the Upper montclair yuppies (who would never even think about taking a stroll through Glenfield Park) like to paint it to be.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,879 times
That is the challenge I am facing currently when it comes to the diversity factor. My husband and I recently sold our house in Maplewood and we are looking for a community with diversity and still a great deal to offer to our three children. Our attention was focused on Clifton, but it is not an "I" district. Looked in Wayne, good schools, but not much diversity. Currently, looking in Ridgwood and the diversity is limited as well. However, the schools and expections regarding teaching and learning are at high levels. What is one to do?

Old 12-26-2009, 02:49 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 1995, we relocated from Chicago to NJ and had it down to Montclair, Glen Ridge and Ridgewood.

We chose Montclair because it was urban-suburban. African-Americans, with substantial financial resources, live in harmony with their neighbors, throughout Montclair. We ended up in a classic tudor in the Estate Section (SW) portion of Montclair, probably one of the most architecturally significant communities, in the U.S.

Our daughter attended public school through grade 5 and then we relocated out.

There is tremendous culture, talent, energy, commitment to the community, shopping/dining and easy access to the city. There is also poverty, fear and tension as is the case in most urban areas.

Montclair has an edge to it, that's unlike anything I have experienced, anywhere else. It can energize you or wear you out. Depends on you.
You are so right. Mountainside is one of the hospitals I cover, so I drive through the estate section on almost a daily basis. It is wonderful to see all those old mansions occupied by such a diverse group of people. In the spring and summer, when everyone is outside gardening or sitting on their porches, it is easy to see a white family living next to a black family living next to an asian family living next to a middle eastern family. Not your typical wealthy neighborhood. I even drive past a house with a horse roaming around outside, right in the middle of Montclair. If I am not mistaken, an African American family lives there. When a lot of people talk of diverse areas, it usually is a poor or middle class neighborhood. It is refreshing to see it in a wealthy neighborhood. Hopefully they will start a trend.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,058 times
I think Montclair is a richly diverse community; I don't think it is going downhill but you do have a mixture of socioeconomic classes. Within these classes, there are all types of ethnicities. Diversity doesn't just mean African-American/Caucasian but rather many different ethnicities. Walk into the Whole Foods in Montclair and you'll regularly hear many, many different languages. If diversity is important to you, you really can't beat Montclair if you can afford the taxes.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Ok, I'm very familiar with Glen Ridge and Montclair, but just a little familiar with Ridgewood. Montclair is going downhill fast, similar to Bloomfield. The farther north you go, the better it is, same as Bloomfield. So, it really depends on which part of Montclair you would be moving to. Also, Montclair hs sucks. For the $$$ you'd be spending on a house, you'd expect better schools, but that is just not the case. Glen Ridge is a VERY nice little community and it has good schools. Some parts of it are stuck in between the trashy parts of Bloomfield and Montclair, but even the southern parts of Glen Ridge aren't bad. It is also very close to the train, and close to the GSP and Rt. 3. There are some nice stores in Montclair that are close to Glen Ridge too. Other than the Mcdonalds on Broad, I wouldn't go into Bloomfield for much. Avoid the Pathmark at Lackawana Plaza, which is close to Glen Ridge. It's ghetto and disgusting. There is a Whole Foods store in Montclair which isn't bad. I know that I'm mentioning a lot of places in Montclair, and there are nice parts of it, but they are pretty expensive and I would probably send my kids to a private school if I lived there. Glen Ridge is cheaper than the nicer areas of Montclair, very nice, safe, and quiet and has better schools. If you are "drawn to diversity" then I'm not sure how Montclair would fit into that. Montclair and Bloomfield certainly look diverse by the numbers, but they are extremely segregated communities. Blacks live on the southern parts of this town, whites live in the nothern parts, and they avoid each other like the plague. Bloomfield is more blue collar, while montlair has a lot of elitist, ultra-liberal snobs that talk a good game, but wouldn't live next to a black or hispanic family if their life depended on it. That's just the facts.
this was such a distorted and racist view of montclair that is not accurate by any means!! montclair is a beautiful diverse town that is more like nyc than a segregated suburb...take a typical neighborhood in nyc that is in or close to manhattan..there is diversity..wealthy people of all races live along side regular working class of all races...this is called the real world and a wonderful way to share cultures and experiences as humans...the comment about pathmark was horrible...just because something is associated with black people does not make it digusting!! i've shopped there and i find nothing wrong with it at all...it is just a place to but food and its not dirty or anything..to portray it in this way to a person who has no knowledge of montclair is just misleading...glenridge is a sweet town but it lacks diversity which helps us all expand,enjoy others and grow..[mod]Not necessary[/mod] very sad

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-12-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey