Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Nationally:
Below $20,000 = in poverty
Below $30,000 = working poor
$30,000 - $50,000 = working class
$50,000 - $75,000 = lower middle class
$75,000 - $100,000 = middle class
$100,000 - $250,000 = upper middle class
$250,000 and above = wealthy

In NJ
Below $30,000 = in poverty
Below $40,000 = Working poor
$40,000 - $55,000 = working class
$55,000 - $85,000 = lower middle class
$85,000 - $125,000 = middle class
$125,000 - $300,000 = upper middle class
$300,000 and above = wealthy
But is that for a family or single person? And if for a family, how large are we talking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I disagree. I think saving for one's childen's education is responsible parenting at most income levels. Even someone making $100k should forego other things in favor of saving for their child's education. It is a sad state of affairs when saving for college is considered a "luxury". I suppose saving for retirement is a luxury as well?
This is an old thread,but yes,saving for retirement and college is a luxury.
Parents aren't obligated to pay for the kids college education.
That said,I'm not sire how someone can sqeeze any more money out of 100,000 in Nj.
I'm usre it can be done in Alabama though.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times
I agree with smart one.

I know someone making $107K and he always complain that he is heavily taxed. Could be because he is single with no kids.

Making $107K means your take-home is about $60K..that's a lot of money in taxes taken out. And I do agree that is middle class.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I agree with smart one.

I know someone making $107K and he always complain that he is heavily taxed. Could be because he is single with no kids.

Making $107K means your take-home is about $60K..that's a lot of money in taxes taken out. And I do agree that is middle class.
please break this down.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
please break this down.
Can't really break it down. But from what I know..since we were dating..he brought home a little over $5,000 dollars a month..maybe closer to $6K.

Single, no kids, not a homeowner - he was getting taxed heavily; and he complained about it every time he opened his paystub.

He wasn't eligible for tax breaks either..since he didn't have any..

We ended our relationship right while he was filing his taxes...I honestly think he was worried that he was going to owe, or get little to nothing for his return (since that was what it was looking like when he filed with H&R).

Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is an old thread,but yes,saving for retirement and college is a luxury.
Parents aren't obligated to pay for the kids college education.
That said,I'm not sire how someone can sqeeze any more money out of 100,000 in Nj.
I'm usre it can be done in Alabama though.

That may not be true in NJ. My friend's spouse's ex sued for college support and won. The parent paid for two young adults (over 18) to attend four-year colleges. Then one kid tried to sue for another four-year school and lost.

Number 18. College or Other Post-Secondary Education Expenses
"...In all cases, primary consideration shall
be given to the continued support of minor children remaining in the primary residence
by reapplying the child support guidelines for those children before determining parental
obligations for the cost of post-secondary education and/or continued support for a child
attending college.

Number 25. Support for a Child Who has Reached Majority
"...After a child reaches majority and completes secondary education, a support obligation, if found by the court to be appropriate, shall be determined in accordance with N.J.S.A. 2A:34-23 and existing case law."

link: State-Specific Child Support Information and Guidelines - FindLaw (not sure if this is the latest information)

Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Can't really break it down. But from what I know..since we were dating..he brought home a little over $5,000 dollars a month..maybe closer to $6K.

Single, no kids, not a homeowner - he was getting taxed heavily; and he complained about it every time he opened his paystub.

He wasn't eligible for tax breaks either..since he didn't have any..

We ended our relationship right while he was filing his taxes...I honestly think he was worried that he was going to owe, or get little to nothing for his return (since that was what it was looking like when he filed with H&R).
if he saved in a 401k he would've gotten a tax break. are you sure that wasn't taken out of his pay? he also gets the standard deduction, so he does technically get a tax break.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
That may not be true in NJ. My friend's spouse's ex sued for college support and won. The parent paid for two young adults (over 18) to attend four-year colleges. Then one kid tried to sue for another four-year school and lost.

Number 18. College or Other Post-Secondary Education Expenses
"...In all cases, primary consideration shall
be given to the continued support of minor children remaining in the primary residence
by reapplying the child support guidelines for those children before determining parental
obligations for the cost of post-secondary education and/or continued support for a child
attending college.

Number 25. Support for a Child Who has Reached Majority
"...After a child reaches majority and completes secondary education, a support obligation, if found by the court to be appropriate, shall be determined in accordance with N.J.S.A. 2A:34-23 and existing case law."

link: State-Specific Child Support Information and Guidelines - FindLaw
this is true. funny how divorced parents are responsible for a college education but married parents are not.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
this is true. funny how divorced parents are responsible for a college education but married parents are not.
Ohhh, is that right? Hmmm, maybe a good reason to stay married.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
if he saved in a 401k he would've gotten a tax break. are you sure that wasn't taken out of his pay? he also gets the standard deduction, so he does technically get a tax break.
No, he hadn't set up a savings plan as of yet - that I knew of. I honestly don't know where that money went. He had asked me for help since I work in finance (budgeting), but I never had the time to do so..maybe he had set it up in the past and was looking to make changes to it..but I wasn't aware of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey