Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times

Advertisements

Whew, what a bad year 2009 was, eh? Er, wait ... it's only March?

"For the first three months of the year, 2 million jobs have been lost, and 5.1 million jobs have been lost since the start of 2008.

To put the three-month loss in context, if no more jobs are lost over the next nine months, 2009 would still be the fourth worst year for job losses since the government started tracking the number of workers in 1939."

2009 job losses already have topped 2 million mark - Apr. 3, 2009

Who was the guy on here that compared today with the Great Depression? I just don't know where he came up with such crazy notions ...

People listen up -- if you have a job, now is the time to curtail spending and build up an emergency fund of at least 6 to 12 months of living expenses in FDIC insured bank accounts (you can also create a ladder of 12 annual CDs or 6 six-month CDs, with one CD reaching maturity each month and where each CD represents one month of living expenses).

When you calculate living expenses post-layoff, be sure to include the costs of COBRA health insurance (which can be on the order of $1,000 per month for a family!) in your expenses.

Suze Orman will give you $100 bucks free (no obligation) to setup an account and start saving.

Suze Orman's Save Yourself Plan at TD AMERITRADE

"If you don't save yourself, who will?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,092 times
More people today than in 1939. So it is all relative.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
And some still call this just a recession. By every respected descriptive measure we are in a depression.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times
JD's gonna say, well, there are still millions of other people with jobs

Wonder what he'd say if he was one of the 5 million who lost a job in 2008/09?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
staggering. you almost can't wrap your mind around it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,931,864 times
The scary thing is....I think we are only at the middle of the downward spiral. I see it getting much worse. I am very thankful to still have my job and beer in the fridge. I am very sorry for those who don't.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,057,468 times
in its quest for higher and higher profit margins, Corporate America has outsourced the lion's share of our middle class manufacturing overseas. Lately, they have been doing the same to white collar workers. This is creating a wider divide between the have's and the have-not's.

what kind of jobs remain ? in the 80's I was a teenager working part-time at a banquet house for gas money. Now, these types of jobs are filled with full-time adults, trying to support their families.

about 15 years ago, the company my sister works for closed production of one of its products made in the U.S., and sent it down to Mexico. Then, they found out that the product could be made even cheaper in China, where the product is being made now. They're planning to move even more of their manufacturing to China.

I've seen alot of American jobs disappear. I've also seen Upper management become wealthier and wealthier. Corporate greed will continue to destroy American jobs, until our wages equalize with those of the third world.

One other thing. No empire in the history of man has ever survived when there was a great disparity between the rich and the poor. Unless something changes, our empire will go the way of the Roman's.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
People listen up -- if you have a job, now is the time to curtail spending and build up an emergency fund of at least 6 to 12 months of living expenses in FDIC insured bank accounts (you can also create a ladder of 12 annual CDs or 6 six-month CDs, with one CD reaching maturity each month and where each CD represents one month of living expenses).
curtail spending, yes.

stop spending all-together, no.

do the latter, and it will ensure the total collapse of the economy.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:27 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Corporate greed will continue to destroy American jobs, until our wages equalize with those of the third world.
Well said -- I agree with you wholeheartedly there. People need to wake up to this before it's too late, but unfortunately I doubt they will.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:32 PM

as technology advances, a degree of unemployment was unavoidable -- this isn't just another "cyclical" recession but a fundamental reset, to use a popular word these days.

there are just too many people in the U.S. ! and, consumers simply can't resume the debt-induced spending binge that powered the global economy for most of this decade. Problem is, the rest of the world (especially China), isn't ready to take up the slack.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey