Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 14,706 times

Advertisements

We are looking to purchase a house in NJ. We are in our late 30s and have two kids aged 8 and 6 so a family friendly and open community is preferred. I am a consultant and do not have a fixed work place. Over the past few years I have worked in Secaucus, Raritan, Princeton and NYC. However I do not mind adding a few minutes to my commute.

We have a preference for new houses and nice open backyards. At the same time our budget is limited from 600 to 650 K which I believe may not amount to much in NJ.

Over the past few months we have considered the following cities:
North Brunswick: Access is major highways is good, however property taxes are atrocious, schools are not as good as compared to the other areas.

Bridgewater and surroundings: Based on other postings, I believe this is the best place to live if we can find something to our liking. Slightly older houses for what we can afford. Also some areas may not be as good as others.

Hillsborough: Commuting can be a major problem here. We really like the city, schools and the future potential for growth. There are a few new communities being built in our price range. Taxes are consistent with other areas (11 – 13 K for a 650K house)

Monroe: Very close to the Turnpike, good roads and well planned and low taxes. Schools are decent. We may find the best value for our money here. However there are too many houses on sale here with active adult communities generally priced at half than the regular SFH. I am not sure if 10 to 20 years from now, resale might be an issue since 55+ buyers can always pick cheaper houses.

Maybe I am being too picky for our budget. Am I correct in my opinion about Monroe and Hillsborough? Any advice, help and suggestion is appreciated.

Last edited by rookie1; 04-14-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 AM

25 posts, read 186,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1 View Post
We are looking to purchase a house in NJ. Am I correct in my opinion about Monroe and Hillsborough? Any advice, help and suggestion is appreciated.
Hi Rookie,
I am in the same boat as yours. I am also looking for houses in Hillsborough, Bridgewater and monroe. I been looking since more thn a year. I agreed with you on Bridgewater - older smaller house with small backyard (near vanderveer road).

for hillsborugh, I am leaning toward Beazer home community but it take almost 20 - 25 minutes from RT -22.

in Monroe, as you said houses are nice, tax are moderate, school is good/above average. But I kept thinking why there are so many NEW houses are up for sell? I cound't find any convencing answer why there are so many houses for sell in Monroe, NJ - specailly the onces which are 3 - 4 yrs old.

I like to buy a house in Monroe. as it provides great value for money, but want to understand the reason behinid so many properties for sell. compare to Hillsborough where only handfull houses are for sell in 550 - 650 range.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM

329 posts, read 1,529,123 times
i wud stay away from monroe..

any place where a high way runs through is polluted..
njtpk is very near monroe.

hillsborugh is a growing town....

their township is very active in controlling pollution levels.

monroe sucks...mostlyl retired and aged population...older people are mean , poisony ...better to live amongst younger crowds.

but guess what if you are driving from hillsborough ...u may make up for your share of weekly pollution by waiting in traffic to and fro from your work or whereever.
but heh ...atleast ur kids and wife are breathing healthy.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM

208 posts, read 853,119 times
I definitely think Monroe is your best value. Monroe went from tons of farms to tons of new homes. There are well over fifteen communities that were built since 2000. People who purchased homes for 800k are now selling them for 600k. Also, in the price range you are looking, many homes are selling for over 50k less than asking price. I'm sure you can find a beautiful home in Monroe for your budget.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Hi Jillian,
I also notice that there are more properties in monroe selling for less thn it was originally purchased. but the question is it something wrong with the area? or is it becuase lots of ppl from monroe work in NYC and started to loose jobs or something?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian Mason View Post
I definitely think Monroe is your best value. Monroe went from tons of farms to tons of new homes. There are well over fifteen communities that were built since 2000. People who purchased homes for 800k are now selling them for 600k. Also, in the price range you are looking, many homes are selling for over 50k less than asking price. I'm sure you can find a beautiful home in Monroe for your budget.

Thanks. I believe that to be true, though I am a bit concerned about the pricing advantage of the active adult communities. Since these tend to be cheaper than the regular communities it may impact the overall pricing in the long run. Are my fears unfounded?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1 View Post
Thanks. I believe that to be true, though I am a bit concerned about the pricing advantage of the active adult communities. Since these tend to be cheaper than the regular communities it may impact the overall pricing in the long run. Are my fears unfounded?
I am not sure how active adult communities will affact pricing of single family homes. those are two different categories. granted that average home price will be impacted. but I dont' believe that will be the good indicator for predicting regular SF home prices.

I believe one should always follow the comps/ previous sell records for comparable houses to estiamte the value of the property.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM

300 posts, read 913,920 times
almost any town in central, north jersey is within 5-10 miles of major highway, not sure how pollution argument holds true.

last 10 years Monroe has tons of new communities and that is the reason you are seeing many newer houses for sale

Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Many new AQ developments are not selling well.
I would never purchase a non standing inventory.
Its a terrible world out there.

I also heard , NJ government is going to stop all newer active adult communities.
So if you are very keen then get in now. Its a good time to buy if you are living in one. Many who bought 5-6 years are seeing fall in home values in the range 20-30 percent. To them it does not make a difference because they sold their old homes at higher price and they have been living there.

Just be cautious.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM

5 miles-10 miles is ok and parkway is ok too as cars only are allowed.

but turnpike , yucky... diesel trucks emitting more pollution on a two lane highway.

i know that, these trucks carries milks, eggs and other necessities...
it is serving its purpose.

I guess there is no perfect town in this world.

Its a sin to dream of a dream home LOL

Bottomline, when you think too much you will never make a decision. When you are confused about a home, that home is not for you.
You are just justifying .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey