Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Everyone knows what locks are for, and most people probably do lock their doors. I do, but it's out of habit, not out of unjustified fear of attack. I don't freak out with every crime I hear reported either.

I'm not one of the gun posturers, though. I like guns, and have nothing against gun ownership whatsoever, but I have to laugh at the posts by the macho men who are apparently ready to blow every intruder away. I'd bet that nearly every one of them would more likely shoot themselves or a family member instead of any intruder as they wet their pants in a high-stress standoff. This ain't the movies, folks.
Are you being serious here?

Whats wrong with owning a gun and shooting some thief trying to rob your house?

And no, they would not shoot themself or a family member. not everyone is a klutz who cant do anything right. Maybe you are, but most other people are not.

Also shooting a round into the air and making it known you have a gun and arent afraid to use it will make 99% of criminals flee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM

183 posts, read 500,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Nothing at all, I'm all for it. The problem is, most won't be able to do it.

Quote:
And no, they would not shoot themself or a family member. not everyone is a klutz who cant do anything right. Maybe you are, but most other people are not.
Wanna bet? I am fairly well-trained in using a gun. I'm a pretty good shot, thank you. But that doesn't necessarily mean diddly. You have to have the presence of mind to deal with a high-stress/high anxiety situation involving gunplay, and that requires regular training in the very same type of simulated situations. How many of these gunowners (and trust me, most are nothing more than people who own a gun) do you think are ready to handle these predicaments? Very, very few. Most will choke or do something disastrous.

Quote:
Also shooting a round into the air and making it known you have a gun and arent afraid to use it will make 99% of criminals flee.
If you're going to shoot a gun due to an intruder, you had damn well better shoot to kill and not miss. Firing shots "in the air" can get you killed pretty darn quick. Good luck with it.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:50 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
[quote=angerinthenation;8471561]I read my town's newspaper daily and I read about my fellow neighbors cars getting stolen, houses being broken into but that doesn't scare me to the point where I need a gun now./quote]

Neighbors having their cars stolen and homes broken into ? While it may not scare you to the point of purchasing a gun it better damn well scare you because eventually these intruders are going to run out of your neighbors homes and then yours will be next and when you see that dark figure creeping down your hallway toward you one night then perhaps you'll understand whats wrong with the rest of us !!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 PM

323 posts, read 575,538 times
i myself dont live in fear of ppl breaking into my house

but if someone enters my house ,im certain the clicking action of my pump shotgun will stop them in thier tracks

Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times
[quote=FlyersFan;8485081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I read my town's newspaper daily and I read about my fellow neighbors cars getting stolen, houses being broken into but that doesn't scare me to the point where I need a gun now./quote]

Neighbors having their cars stolen and homes broken into ? While it may not scare you to the point of purchasing a gun it better damn well scare you because eventually these intruders are going to run out of your neighbors homes and then yours will be next and when you see that dark figure creeping down your hallway toward you one night then perhaps you'll understand whats wrong with the rest of us !!!!
LMAO. The best thing that will keep you safe is common sense. Like what EEEPNJ said, lock your doors.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM

323 posts, read 575,538 times
just remember its my/your house and intruders donnot belong there ,its that simple in my book

Old 04-23-2009, 07:45 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
[quote=angerinthenation;8486953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post

LMAO. The best thing that will keep you safe is common sense. Like what EEEPNJ said, lock your doors.
I'm not sure what you find so funny.......you don't think all the seniors who have had their homes intruded and then beaten by the intruders didn't have their doors locked and they all lacked common sense ???

Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times
[quote=FlyersFan;8487473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post

I'm not sure what you find so funny.......you don't think all the seniors who have had their homes intruded and then beaten by the intruders didn't have their doors locked and they all lacked common sense ???

Which seniors? Where are you getting your little incident reports from? Trust me, I'm safe. I keep my doors locked. I haven't been robbed neither has my home been robbed. I have no guns or weapons. Sure I worry about being a victim of crime but not to the extent where I'm scared for my life.

Which town do you live? I'm curious to know.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 04-23-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Everyone knows what locks are for, and most people probably do lock their doors. I do, but it's out of habit, not out of unjustified fear of attack. I don't freak out with every crime I hear reported either.

I'm not one of the gun posturers, though. I like guns, and have nothing against gun ownership whatsoever, but I have to laugh at the posts by the macho men who are apparently ready to blow every intruder away. I'd bet that nearly every one of them would more likely shoot themselves or a family member instead of any intruder as they wet their pants in a high-stress standoff. This ain't the movies, folks.
Agreed. But I DID NOT insinuate that we should all baracade ourselves and live in fear.... I'm commenting on the ARTICLE. Especially here. You have someone suspicious around your house and you don't even practice due diligence and lock your freaking door? Come on.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Are you being serious here?

Are YOU serious? Do you know how many people are killed because of an "accident?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey