Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 38,388 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Sorry in case this has been asked before.

We are suffering quite a lot from our neighbor's dog barking. The town we live (if this could be helpful, it's northern part of Bergen county) has a noise ordinance. It requires dog to keep barking continuously for 30 mins in order to be counted as a noise violation. However, the problem with my neighbor's dog is it always barking but seldomly continously for 30 mins. It barks for about 10 mins. Then rests for a couple hours, then randomly starts to bark again for about 10 mins. Then rests again and randomly starts again.

And whenever we go out to our yards, either for playing with our kids or do lawn mowing, it keeps barking as long as it can see or hear us. My daughter was so scared and she refused to play outside in our own backyard.

We've talked with the neighbor. They told us dogs bark and nothing they can do. I just told them there are more than 5 dogs on the street block where we live. None of the other dogs bark as often as theirs.

Their dog recently begins to bark at night, after 10:00pm, waking up my wife and kids. We called the police of the town. First, they insisted the dog has to keep barking in order for them to dispatch officers. We told them the dog normally just barks for 10 mins. But these 10 mins are long enough to wake up my whole family. But the police said 10 mins isn't long enough for them to come over. After repeatedly calling them, they finally dispatched someone over. However, they stayed outside, waiting for the dog to bark. As expected, the dog barked again for about 10 mins after 10:30pm, and stopped just before the officers came. So, the officers told me they can't do anything about it since the dog stopped barking.

The officers may be right. But this intermittent interruption is bad enough to make me crazy. My wife is understandably so reluctant to avoid confrontation with them. But each time the dog barks at night, I just can't control my urge to knock the hell of my neighbor's door and yell the heck out of them.

What options do we have? Police officers told me we can file a noise complaint. Will this be useful? If we file the complaint, will the officers come and talk to the neighbor even if their dog don't bark? My wife is reluctant to do so since she's worried the office will inform my neighbor that it's us who filed the complaint and she's worried my neighbor will be crazy enough to harm our kid for this. What should we do if the formal noise complaint still doesn't work? Ultimately, can a letter from some lawyer help out? My wife is even thinking about selling our house just due to this stupid dog. But I'm afraid this f*** stupid dog will just ruin our sale even if we want to sell the house. I am almost being driven crazy by this.

Damn I'm writing this post at 1:00am tonight since this dog barked again at 11pm for ~10 mins and my wife and me had a big fight on how to properly approach this...

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Yell at the rude neighbors and be doubly offensive to them as their actions (or nonactions) are as offensive to you. If you can't sleep make sure they can't sleep. Intimidate them into doing something like bring the dog inside and make them afraid of you.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
There are a lot of passive-aggressive things that you can do to **** off your neighbor. You could get a pack of beagles and then see how much he likes dogs.

The only thing that is going to stop this is getting the police to visit when the dog is barking. The police need to tell the owner that the barking is unacceptable and that he is going to start getting fines if they have to keep visiting.

When you call the dispatch line at night you should ask the dispatch operator if she can hear the dogs thru the phone. That is enough evidence to warrant a visit by a patrol car. You have to insist that the officers visit the house regardless of whether the dog is still barking.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Your neighbors are being a-holes so you should be a-holes to them and make them feel as bad as they are making you feel. By the way can't other neighbors hear the dog? Get a group to go over to confront the irresponsible dog owner.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Your neighbors are being a-holes so you should be a-holes to them and make them feel as bad as they are making you feel. By the way can't other neighbors hear the dog? Get a group to go over to confront the irresponsible dog owner.

Getting a group is the right track, but in making complaints with the neighbor and the police. Then it's clear tot the owner and police that it's not just one overly sensitive neighbor complaining.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyey View Post
....The town we live (if this could be helpful, it's northern part of Bergen county) has a noise ordinance. It requires dog to keep barking continuously for 30 mins in order to be counted as a noise violation. However, the problem with my neighbor's dog is it always barking but seldomly continously for 30 mins. It barks for about 10 mins. Then rests for a couple hours, then randomly starts to bark again for about 10 mins. Then rests again and randomly starts again.

And whenever we go out to our yards, either for playing with our kids or do lawn mowing, it keeps barking as long as it can see or hear us. My daughter was so scared and she refused to play outside in our own backyard. .....

Their dog recently begins to bark at night, after 10:00pm, waking up my wife and kids. We called the police of the town. First, they insisted the dog has to keep barking in order for them to dispatch officers. .....But this intermittent interruption is bad enough to make me crazy. ....

What options do we have? Police officers told me we can file a noise complaint. Will this be useful? If we file the complaint, will the officers come and talk to the neighbor even if their dog don't bark? My wife is reluctant to do so since she's worried the office will inform my neighbor that it's us who filed the complaint and she's worried my neighbor will be crazy enough to harm our kid for this. ......
Check with your ordinances for either a noise ordinance or a dog barking nuisance ordinance. See if you can pull it up on line, if not go to your town and get a copy. I can't imagine this is being allowed to happen because the dog doesn't bark for 30 minutes without a break. Excessive barking is barking that's persistent for an extended amount of time.

If there is a 30-minute rule, you answered your own question; since the dog barks the entire time you're outside, stay outside and wait for the police to arrive. The dog should still be barking.

Have you talked to your neighbors? If others have complained, you have a better chance of getting this resolved.

Keep a record/log of when the dog barks...date, start/stop time. You can do what this person did and take a video of the barking dog and post it on you tube. At the end of your complaint, include the link to the video of your neighbor's barking dog.

Link:
Nuisance Barking Dog - YouTube

Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Don't know if it works or not but there is supposedly an electronic or electro-acoustic device you can hang on your fence that is supposed to stop dogs from barking. I have never tried it myself but have heard of it.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 38,388 times
Thanks guys for your inputs. REALLY appreciated.

Yes, we've talked with other neighbors. They were annoyed as well. However, so far, only one of them is willing to stand up. Both of my family and this neighbor have young kids. The dog owners once had 4 big dogs barking and running loose in both family's yards. We were scared as hell the dogs could bite our kids. When I went out to talk with the f*** neighbor for the loose dogs, these dogs surrounded me and one of them almost bited me. Only after a big dog fight in their own backyard, they got rid off the other 3 and left one.

However, I think the other neighbors were doing sth although they aren't willing to stand out. I saw couple of times animal control cars coming to the dog owner's house. But the dog owner just pretended nobody at home. Just like last night. The dog owner usually left their driveway light on all through the night. But last night after the dog barked, they conveniently turned off the light. So, when the officers came, one of the reason the officers didn't talk to the dog owner was "their light is off, I don't want to wake them up.". I told the officers the freaking owner just turned off the light one minute before they came. But no use. I guess the f*** dog owner is aware of the noise ordinance as well and that's why they seldomly let the dog bark continously for 30 mins but only intermittently for ~ 10mins each time.

So, my question here is, if we want to unite other neighbors to resolve this issue, what's the approach we can take? Should we just knock the owner's door and talk to them (which is very unlikely to gather all the people) OR should we take some sort of formal complaint form and ask the neighbors to sign on it, OR I just ask the other neighbors to also call police?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyey View Post
.....I just ask the other neighbors to also call police?......
^^^This

Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
play loud music in the middle of the night randomly for 10 minutes at a time directed at their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: