Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,871 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting topic to get your opinions on.

In our neighborhood (not a delevopment), we have poor and rich alike. Most folks live with consideration and general concern for each other. However, we have a household of "Bundys" in the neighborhood...nasty adults, 3 ill-behaved kids, lazy, inconsiderate, self-entitled, and generally trashy. It sounds funny untill you have to live near them.

We have found out that their bank initiated foreclosure July 2010 (via lis pendens) due to non-payment. "Hurray" was the sound through the neighborhood. But the process has been long and drawn-out and they are still here and still nasty.

Here are some facts:
-Over the winter they filed bankruptcy (Chp7) to remove over $140K of credit card and personal unsecured debt. The bankruptcy case is now closed.
-They reaffirmed the 1st and 2nd mortgages during the bankruptcy.
-Mr. neighbor has been officially "disabled" and voluntarily unemployed for over 4 years. His live-in girlfriend works maybe 15 hrs/week.
-Mr Neighbor has been known to work under the table to avoid losing his DI payments.
-They have no significant assets and live 90% on public assistance.
-They intend to drag-out the foreclosure as long as possible.

They are scum. Everyone wants them gone. The police have a fat file but haven't been very effective.

Is there a way to encourage the bank to speed up the foreclosure?

---or--

Should we all MYOB and just pick up their trash from our front lawns, ignore the drunken 15 year old who batters his girlfriend on the front lawn, tell our children to not listen to the foul language being screamed? etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awryexperiment View Post
Should we all MYOB and just pick up their trash from our front lawns, ignore the drunken 15 year old who batters his girlfriend on the front lawn, tell our children to not listen to the foul language being screamed? etc...
this is probably the way to go. any good reason to call the police, you can call them. but you dont want to get too involved in their business and make it your business also. im sure you have enough to deal with.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Be patient. We had a lovely elderly couple next to our house in Westwood. When they both passed away, the daughter got the house along with her druggie boyfriend. The previously well-kept property went downhill quickly.

The daughter and her boyfriend ended up in jail after we put up with them for a year. Then we called the town and reported seeing rats. NOTHING gets out code enforcement as quickly as the word rat. The town came in, cut the grass, drained the unattended pool, and billed the daughter.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I like the rat idea. If you don't really see rats, you can always import some. Make sure there is food for them around the neighbor's yard and near their basement windows.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
Import rats eh??? Do I look in the yellow pages under rats or importers?

Thanks for the laugh in this troubling situation.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Unfotunately there isn't much you can do. The bank will work on its own schedule to complete the foreclosure and remove them from the home. They could care less how obnoxious they are. Chances are the mortgages on the home are for more than the home is worth, so the bank is in no hurry to fully assume the property. Also, the presence of a second mortgage complicates the matter further as chances are it is from a different lender. The only thing that might motivate the bank is if you inform them that the occupants are trashing the place, but even that may not compel them to act sooner.

Outside of continuing to deal with them and calling the police when the situation warrants, this is going to be one of the times you need to grin and bear it until the foreclosure plays out. Just be mindful that the process can take years these days.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,477 times
Hmm I'm sure you have a few options.... just have to think it through a little bit.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 PM

73 posts, read 215,932 times
Maybe you don't want to import rats...

Pizzeria Owner Sabotages Rivals by Planting Mice in Restaurants - ABC News

You probably can't do much on the bank side of things, but I would notify the police at every justifiable opportunity if they are a real problem in the neighborhood (domestic violence toward/among children is a biggie). Encourage neighbors to do the same. I'm not saying you need to be a busybody, but it sounds like there are genuine safety concerns on top of the "Bundy" factor.

If the teen really is drunk/under the influence of drugs and/or abusing his girlfriend you also have cause to notify social services. They may already have a case open on the child(ren), but getting calls from the community will help get it moved up in priority.

Either way, I sympathize. I lived across from a rental property that went from quiet couples and little old ladies to meth addicts and drunks when the property changed hands - it was a real headache for the whole neighborhood to get rid of them.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awryexperiment View Post
Import rats eh??? Do I look in the yellow pages under rats or importers?

Thanks for the laugh in this troubling situation.

Rats-R-Us?

Seriously, I hope you're able to resolve it. All it takes is one awful neighbor to ruin your quality of life.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,437 times
Default Having had some rather lousy neighbors too, pardon my levity. Truly, I feel your pain.

So three guys are lamenting about the terrible neighbors they once had.

The first guy says, "They were horrible! Then one dark night during a very bad lightning storm, my neighbor's house was struck and it burned down. Tragedy for them but... no more bothersome neighbors for me!"

The second guy says, "I had similar neighbors. One dark night during a bad storm, an electrical short caused my neighbor's house to burn down too. Tragedy for them but the neighborhood celebrated."

So the third guy says, "Wow, I too had a lousy neighbor who lost his house. One night during a bad storm, the flood waters rose and swept my neighbor's house away. Everyone on the block said it was terrible, but in our hearts we were happy these people were gone, gone, gone."

The first two guys look at each other and scratch their heads. Then they both look at the third guy and ask, "How did you ever start a flood?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: