Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 28,404 times

Advertisements

I lived in NYC for 5 years...then moved to Fort Lee because NYC was too much for me in all honesty. Needed slower pace.. But now I find fort lee has nothing to offer me. The nj transit bus takes forever and a day to get into nyc (i want to work and play in nyc just not live there)...I'm 23 years old and gay and just want to live in a cool town that is accepting and doesn't hate because i may be a little more "girly" (if you will) then straight men. I was thinking about a place that is right off of the NJ Transit train line...since the trains seem to be a lot more dependable than the buses.. Let me know what you think...i was going to go to Orlando but now I just don't know if thats right either...ahhh decisions, decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,297 times
That's weird that the NJ Transit but takes so long from Fort Lee to Manhattan. Oh well.

Have you considered Montclair? It's got plenty of public transportation into Manhattan (train & bus). It has dining, nightlife, art, parks, lots of young, forward-thinking people.

What would possess you to consider Orlando?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,973 times
Hoboken, Edgewater, New Brunswick (further out 45 minutes to NYC) and many others are good options. Need a little more to help you unfortunately.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 PM

95 posts, read 521,351 times
Hoboken commute into midtown can't be beat, and it's a young, fun place. I would think it's a more liberal, forward-thinking place than most other towns, too. Though there is a sizable meathead population that comes out at night, and I'm not quite sure how tolerant they are of someone who doesn't fit their exact mold. It could go either way in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,059,059 times
Jersey City, in the vicinity of the Grove St.
Path Station... I go down there every so
often to eat, and based on what I see, it
should work well for you

Old 06-07-2009, 09:08 PM

256 posts, read 841,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneil View Post
Hoboken commute into midtown can't be beat, and it's a young, fun place. I would think it's a more liberal, forward-thinking place than most other towns, too. Though there is a sizable meathead population that comes out at night, and I'm not quite sure how tolerant they are of someone who doesn't fit their exact mold. It could go either way in my opinion.
i wouldnt consider Hoboken. I never see any gays when i am there and it really doesnt seem like it has things gays would like... It mostly has bars and restaurants and none of them are gay themed or anything...

Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo12 View Post
I lived in NYC for 5 years...then moved to Fort Lee because NYC was too much for me in all honesty. Needed slower pace.. But now I find fort lee has nothing to offer me. The nj transit bus takes forever and a day to get into nyc (i want to work and play in nyc just not live there)...I'm 23 years old and gay and just want to live in a cool town that is accepting and doesn't hate because i may be a little more "girly" (if you will) then straight men. I was thinking about a place that is right off of the NJ Transit train line...since the trains seem to be a lot more dependable than the buses.. Let me know what you think...i was going to go to Orlando but now I just don't know if thats right either...ahhh decisions, decisions.
Would second the suggestions of both Jersey City around Grove St PATH and Montclair.

Also agree that Hoboken probably isn't your best choice.

If you're open to Brooklyn, Park Slope would be a good pick.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:17 AM

6 posts, read 28,404 times
isn't that crazy? it takes 5 minutes to drive from fort lee to manhattan yet the bus to port authority takes an hour and a half! i have sat on that bus for 2 and a half hours before...not even during rush hour or near it... it's crazy!!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 AM

119 posts, read 472,595 times
What takes so long? Is it an express bus?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
i wouldnt consider Hoboken. I never see any gays when i am there and it really doesnt seem like it has things gays would like... It mostly has bars and restaurants and none of them are gay themed or anything...
Well, there is a place called The Cage on First Street.

From what I've observed, I tend to notice more gay people of all ages, couples, etc. in Downtown Jersey City than in Hoboken. As someone said previously, the area around the Grove St. Path Station in particular. There is one gay bar (Star Bar on Wayne Street) and two others which a number of gay people in the neighborhood frequent. Jersey City isn't Chelsea, but probably offers more to a young gay male than Fort Lee or the 'burbs. Plus, you can't beat the PATH commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey