Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:39 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,909,170 times

Advertisements

dear lord....I need a break. A breather. A vacation.
Trying to plan a mid-week 3-4 night get-away for either July (i'm packed & ready to drive), August (i'll need more wine to make it to august) or early September (i cannot comment on the condition i will be in by september)

Unfortunately, I am bringing my husband & children along....

It's going to be in either Wildwood Crest or Ocean City Maryland depending on the best lodging for the lowest price. I want ocean front or near to ocean but with a pool.

In your opinion: Which is better WW Crest or Ocean City MD & what are the drawbacks?

I'm just not accepting the high prices of the hotels in OC MD. $250 per nite & up for MIDWEEK. Geezz I guess it's been a while since I rented a Hotel room
Hours on the 'puter is making me crazy ! Next stop, the WW Crest websites!! Wish me luck !

Any suggestions on either vacation spot?
Any suggestions on Hotel or condo rental in either place?
I'm considering contacting a rental agent but I need a name/# plus would they even rent for 3-4 weekdays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:14 PM

983 posts, read 2,775,131 times
I'm a Jersey girl and grew up going to Wildwood (and I still love it and go there at least a couple times every summer) but I have to say, Ocean City, MD is way nicer. It's hard to find a nice hotel with low rates that's close to the beach, though, unless you go off season or in shoulder season. We went in May and stayed at this hotel and it was great...the rooftop pool was super nice with great views of the ocean and the location was really nice - right off the boardwalk - beach block - near all the action. Our room was brand new inside and had a little kitchenette including a sink, small fridge, coffee maker, etc. This allowed us to save money because we brought breakfast food and ate breakfast in the hotel room.

A cheaper option is the Francis Scott Key Resort which is right outside OC, over the bridge. It's about a 2 minute drive from this hotel into Ocean City - it's very close.

Ocean City is prettier and more family-oriented than Wildwood...the facades of the stores on the OC, MD boardwalk are really cute and there are some open air bar/restaurants. The Wildwood boardwalk (and the crowd that visits it) are rougher and grittier than OC, MD, although it's still pretty family oriented.

The only downside to OC, MD is the drive but I think it's worth it.

If you do go to OC, MD and you like Italian food, I highly recommend Adolfo's. We love this place and eat there every time we go to OC. It's right off the end of the boardwalk. Great food, reasonable prices, nice staff and a cute old world Italian American atmosphere.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
I must disagree with sassygirl. I was *sorely* disappointed with OC, MD. It was way more crowded than WW (try getting down that main road at night), and, dare I say it, "trashier". A whole bunch of us went and we all felt the same way. I felt the long, PITA drive was completely not worth it.

I don't know which is better pricewise. I think you can get a room in WW for less than $250.

I guess between sassy and I we're not much help, eh? LOL

Old 07-22-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Weekday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I must disagree with sassygirl. I was *sorely* disappointed with OC, MD. It was way more crowded than WW (try getting down that main road at night), and, dare I say it, "trashier". A whole bunch of us went and we all felt the same way. I felt the long, PITA drive was completely not worth it.

I don't know which is better pricewise. I think you can get a room in WW for less than $250.

I guess between sassy and I we're not much help, eh? LOL
Thanks for the post Tahiti. Did you stay on a summer weekend or was it mid week. I'm hoping that the "trashier" feel & the crowded main road is only on weekends...? I'm just dying for a real crabcake sammie

Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,913,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Thanks for the post Tahiti. Did you stay on a summer weekend or was it mid week. I'm hoping that the "trashier" feel & the crowded main road is only on weekends...? I'm just dying for a real crabcake sammie
Why not thanks for your post Sassygirl18? In my opinion when it comes to the shore the further you away from NJ the better.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM

636 posts, read 1,424,433 times
LOL at Wildwood boardwalk being "gritty." Is it chock full of yuppies? No, but you have nothing to fear.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Thumbs down Do you have a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Why not thanks for your post Sassygirl18? In my opinion when it comes to the shore the further you away from NJ the better.
What is your point?

Is this your way of trying to be helpful or just picking a fight?

Either way, your post was a waste of space.
And if it's any of your business, I shall THANK whomever I wish.
No thanks to you.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,870 times
dear lord....I need a break. A breather. A vacation.
Trying to plan a mid-week 3-4 night get-away for either July (i'm packed & ready to drive), August (i'll need more wine to make it to august) or early September (i cannot comment on the condition i will be in by september)

Unfortunately, I am bringing my husband & children along....

Totally know what you mean! The unbearable commute, hours stuck in traffic, that unreasonable boss that just won't stop riding you, all that corporate BS, and backstabing co-workers that gossip and pry into your affairs. It's definetly great to get away from it all.

By the way what do you do for a living?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:42 AM

983 posts, read 2,775,131 times
Wow, Tahiti, you are the first person I've ever heard who thought Wildwood was nicer than OC, MD and that OC, MD was trashier! I've been visiting both places for years and have never, ever perceived OC to be trashy or rough. Maybe you visited during spring break or something.

Many people from NJ make the drive down to OC, MD because they like it better. And yes, you cannot beat the crabcakes!

My suggestion is pick one and visit this year and next year visit the other. Then post your analysis here. I'd like to hear what you think.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Wow, Tahiti, you are the first person I've ever heard who thought Wildwood was nicer than OC, MD and that OC, MD was trashier! I've been visiting both places for years and have never, ever perceived OC to be trashy or rough. Maybe you visited during spring break or something.

Many people from NJ make the drive down to OC, MD because they like it better. And yes, you cannot beat the crabcakes!

My suggestion is pick one and visit this year and next year visit the other. Then post your analysis here. I'd like to hear what you think.
Good idea ! Your post is very helpful and on topic.

I visited OC once many many years ago. I still remember the crab shack over the bridge. It was fun to smash the crabs with a mallet & drink really cold beer. The jumbo lump crab cake sammies were the best.

I'm still looking into the hotel prices & comparing both places. If its feasible, we might check out both places this summer. Thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate a helpful post that addresses the question. You are right on point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey