Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 AM

83 posts, read 411,825 times

Advertisements

THANKS everyone for your advice. I have decided to live in Society hill. There is a bus just outside society hill that goes to Journal square every 10 mins. Transfer to PATH to Exchange place. When I drove around JC I felt safer inside Society Hill compared to Westside. However driving through Communipaw was a nightmare. I purposely drove at night from 440 - Communipaw- Kennedy Blvd - Montgomery - Hudson St . Some part of the drive I thought was not safe. But as long as I'm not driving and I'm taking the bus from society hill I should be OK. What do you all think ?
Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:41 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Well honestly I think you're being really stubborn in not looking into other places, but if you like Society Hill then thats great. Just bookmark this post for future reference if you decide to move.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:47 PM

83 posts, read 411,825 times
Today I drove through Princeton . I like Princeton better. I think I'm going to rent at the Mews in Princeton Junction.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Well of course you'll like Princeton better, because its one of the nicer towns in the state and home to Princeton University. But that commute is going to be pretty bad, close to 70-80 minutes each way by train (take the North east corridor line to Newark and then take the PATH to exchange place).

If you are willing to look into areas farther outside of Jersey City, I would urge you to look into some of the surrounding suburban towns instead of going way way far out into NJ for a place to live.

PLEASE, do yourself a favor and look into these towns: Rutherford, Kearny, North Arlington, Montclair, Clifton, and Lyndhurst.

All of these towns have excellent rail transportation and can quickly take you to Jersey City. They are all extremely safe, nice places to live.

If I was in your situation, I would especially look at Rutherford. The train from Rutherford to Hoboken takes 20 minutes and only stops once (at the Seacaucus transfer). Once you are at the Hoboken station you walk directly to your right which is where the light rails are located. From Hoboken to exchange place the light rail takes only 10 minutes to reach exchange place. If you purchase a monthly NJ transit pass then the light rail ride is free. Alternatively you could take the PATH from Hoboken, but you would have to pay extra for that.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,006 times
TechieGuy...Mead is obviously a nervous wreck and must work for the City of Bayonne. Jersey City westside is as safe as any other city in America. There are criminals/idiots everywhere you go-even in Bayonne-and they are not just Black/Asian/Latino. I guess Irish/Italian/Polish people don't commit crimes-lolol... I understand and respect Mead is campaigning for his boring little city, however, I own 2 units in the new development "Droyers Point" (next to Society Hill)and have lived here for 2 years now and my family has had no problems. My tenants work for the UN and are very happy living here-signed a 2 year rental contract. There are a ton of Wall Street and Sales Professionals in the development. Best advice: come into the community and talk to the people who live here-not to Mead and his ignorant rants.

I agree the area is transition, however, the neighborhood is slowly changing and the "bad people" have never been a problem. Fact is crime in Jersey City has been decreasing dramatically since the "Smart Growth" ideas of JC have jump started economic development in the area.

TechieGuy-Be cautious wherever you live. Last year a man was murdered in broad daylight in Manhattan during the 5'clock hour-but no one left Manhattan headed for "safe" Bayonne. Race has nothing to do with it. Its funny to me to always hear "black/asian/latino" cause the problems-when the real thieves/thugs run our country (current administration) our nations larger companies (WorldCom, Enron) and are terrorist (None of which are black/latino). Good luck with your home search!

Mead-stay in Bayonne where you belong with your Italian/Irish/Polish people-lol Yeah that sounds like fun...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:20 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,345 times
we live in society hill II and we like the community so far. before moving to society hill, we rent one bedroom with 24 hr security in newport high rising building. To me, the environment in society hill is much better than westside station, but a little bit not convenient to communte to NYC. However, the communte is not that bad. we used to park in westside ($40 per month) and take 7:57am light rail to exchange place, then take WTC PATH to NYC. My husband can be in his office at 8:30am. It gengerally takes 5 minutes to drive to westside and 15 minutes ride to exchange place. If you don't wanna drive, you can take society hill bus with your monthly light rail pass and it stops right in front of the gate. Be Honest, I agree the westside neighborhood is not that good. Society hill is more isloated than westside station so that I feel more secure. In addition, I found people are nice in the community as well. I notice there are many Chinese and Indians moving in those 2 communities recently.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Ummm I don't even live in Bayonne.

If you want to live in a secluded, gated community, then that's fine with me. Personally thats not my thing, and most people don't go for that type of weird development in this area.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM

44 posts, read 163,208 times
Default Seriously

The only reason I found this was because I was looking at the prices for the Station at West Side condos. I lived in the Greenville-Lafayette section of Jersey City for THREE YEARS (from 2000-2002) [Not to be confused with just GREENVILLE...that's the rough one!], and while there is certainly truth to urban, African-American children hopping on light rails for free, those same kids were much more respectful than any of their counterparts in Newark (and I'm one to know, as I'm born and raised in Newark). I will say this...anywhere within 440, Communipaw Ave, the end of Mallory Ave and West Side is about as safe as any suburb (I will dare say about as safe as Bayonne, as I currently live there now). I work in Jersey City, and yeah sure there are some rough parts (anywhere beyond the Blvd). But that area in question, my fellow tech, techieguy would have lived. You suburban folks scared that poor soul in Princeton, of all places, where he is probably surrounded by Mexicans (yes, that's right...Mexicans...who do you think performs the work for those very affluent folks down there).

Anyone else who stumbles across this thread, just know this. That area around the West Side Light Rail is no more dangerous than you going in your car and driving ANYWHERE.

God, what a bunch of pansies....shame on you!

Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM

44 posts, read 163,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Ummm I don't even live in Bayonne.

If you want to live in a secluded, gated community, then that's fine with me. Personally thats not my thing, and most people don't go for that type of weird development in this area.
Except those who live there?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 9,582 times
I just bought a loft in the Mallory buidling in the City Homes complex. Any thoughts on growth potential with respect to both the community and my investment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey