Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM

231 posts, read 587,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i brake check the crap out of people that **** me off. usually its someone who is tailgating me but every now and then ill jump in front of someone and give them something to think about.
If you are being tailgated, chances are it's YOU who are doing something wrong. If you're in the left lane and being tailgated, then you are moving too slow and need to move over. If you're not and there's room to pass, then the person behind you is an idiot.

I get so angry when people hog the left lane and stop people from passing. I usually flash them several times but usually they are either too stubborn or so oblivious to their surroundings that they fail to notice that I'm flashing. Often of course, a cell phone is involved. I really think that the main problem is that the people just can't focus on more than one thing at a time. Extra things like periodically checking in the rear view, keeping an eye around them to see what's going on in case they need to make a split second lane change or hit the brakes? These things are too much information for the average human brain to process. Their brains are fully occupied with the tasks of breathing and pressing the gas to get from point a to point b and possibly thinking about whether they forgot to set up american idol on DVR. It's the same thing with people walking on the crowded sidewalk. They will stop dead in their tracks without the slightest concern to whether someone is walking behind them. One thing I will not do is "brake check" someone behind me. I'd do it, but I figure there's a pretty good chance they will plow into my car--not worth it.

Reckless and discourteous driving should be enforced more stringently and this includes use of cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:56 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post
If you are being tailgated, chances are it's YOU who are doing something wrong. If you're in the left lane and being tailgated, then you are moving too slow and need to move over. If you're not and there's room to pass, then the person behind you is an idiot.

I get so angry when people hog the left lane and stop people from passing. I usually flash them several times but usually they are either too stubborn or so oblivious to their surroundings that they fail to notice that I'm flashing. Often of course, a cell phone is involved. I really think that the main problem is that the people just can't focus on more than one thing at a time. Extra things like periodically checking in the rear view, keeping an eye around them to see what's going on in case they need to make a split second lane change or hit the brakes? These things are too much information for the average human brain to process. Their brains are fully occupied with the tasks of breathing and pressing the gas to get from point a to point b and possibly thinking about whether they forgot to set up american idol on DVR. It's the same thing with people walking on the crowded sidewalk. They will stop dead in their tracks without the slightest concern to whether someone is walking behind them. One thing I will not do is "brake check" someone behind me. I'd do it, but I figure there's a pretty good chance they will plow into my car--not worth it.

Reckless and discourteous driving should be enforced more stringently and this includes use of cell phones.
Amen to that...and I think most people forget on an interstate the left lane in not a travel lane..it's a passing lane

Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
i understand what you are saying and agree that in many instances if you are being tailgated in the left lane, you are driving too slow. however, i think that some people think they have some divine right to go faster than everyone else and will always jump on the ass of anyone in front of them in the left lane. if i have open space in front of me in the left lane, im either going to take it or move to the right. if there are cars in front of me then im not moving over so the guy behind me can pass only me and end up exactly where i was.

i also dont appreciate it if someone is immediately attached to my ass without giving me the chance to move out of the way. i am going to move if i am supposed to, trying to bully me out of the way is only going to get me to hit the breaks.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
i understand what you are saying and agree that in many instances if you are being tailgated in the left lane, you are driving too slow. however, i think that some people think they have some divine right to go faster than everyone else and will always jump on the ass of anyone in front of them in the left lane. if i have open space in front of me in the left lane, im either going to take it or move to the right. if there are cars in front of me then im not moving over so the guy behind me can pass only me and end up exactly where i was.

i also dont appreciate it if someone is immediately attached to my ass without giving me the chance to move out of the way. i am going to move if i am supposed to, trying to bully me out of the way is only going to get me to hit the breaks.
I also understand where you are coming from. Obviously, if there is so much traffic that you're waiting behind the guy in front of you and he's waiting for the guy in front of him and so on, it doesn't really help for you to move over.

If it's smooth(er) sailing, I ALWAYS keep out of the left lane unless I'm passing. I make every effort to do this because I appreciate it when people do the same for me. This way, when someone approaches from behind, they don't have to wait for you to move over. Again, this is about giving people the same courtesy that you would hope they would give you. I pay equal attention to people merging onto highways as well. Some people will just putter along slowly in the RIGHT lane at the expense of someone trying to merge even when they could have moved over to the middle or left lane.

I spent several months living in Italy and they're obsessive about highway etiquette. A fast driver in the left lane will flash a loiterer immediately when within eyesight. This isn't an expression of hostility or discourtesy. It's a simple way of asking the other fellow, "mind if I pass?". Driving there is really something to behold. They are light on concepts like yielding to traffic but somehow it works out really well--it's like controlled chaos.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
If it's smooth(er) sailing, I ALWAYS keep out of the left lane unless I'm passing. I make every effort to do this because I appreciate it when people do the same for me. This way, when someone approaches from behind, they don't have to wait for you to move over.
i would say the other situation is more common (where the left lane is busy but the guy wants to be on my ass) but sometimes i feel im going pretty fast in the left lane and passing people but some hot shot wants to fly and suddenly is on my ass before i know it. i drive about a 100 miles a day commuting so theres plenty of opportunities for me to run into these jerks.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
i would say the other situation is more common (where the left lane is busy but the guy wants to be on my ass) but sometimes i feel im going pretty fast in the left lane and passing people but some hot shot wants to fly and suddenly is on my ass before i know it. i drive about a 100 miles a day commuting so theres plenty of opportunities for me to run into these jerks.
Then I would agree that if you are passing at a reasonable rate, then a tailgater is in the wrong for tailgating. Some folks will just sit there beside another car to the right of them. If it takes 30 seconds to pass someone, that's a little long I think.

BTW, why can't you say **** on the board. It's a word that's synonymous w/ pee and rhymes with kiss. Does that word qualify as profanity in 2009?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Then I would agree that if you are passing at a reasonable rate, then a tailgater is in the wrong for tailgating. Some folks will just sit there beside another car to the right of them. If it takes 30 seconds to pass someone, that's a little long I think.

BTW, why can't you say **** on the board. It's a word that's synonymous w/ pee and rhymes with kiss. Does that word qualify as profanity in 2009?
my dad used to tailgate everyone, thats just how he would drive. so you have to put these people in their place.

i guess whoever made up the banned word list is offended by it.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
my dad used to tailgate everyone, thats just how he would drive. so you have to put these people in their place.

i guess whoever made up the banned word list is offended by it.
The brake check thing I think is asking for trouble. Is it worth it to prove a point if the guy slams into you and you have to pull over and fill out a police report and try to explain that you were teaching him a lesson? Tailgating isn't safe either though.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
is it legal to talk on the phone while driving in NJ? it's not in NY and it drives me mad!
Wrong! You can not use a hand held cell in NJ while driving.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Wrong! You can not use a hand held cell in NJ while driving.
I think the OP's first sentence was a question.

Quote:
is it legal to talk on the phone while driving in NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey