Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,730,119 times

Advertisements

I love how they point out the low cost of per mile for the highways that we pay.

They never point out the high cost of everything else.

I mentioned weeks ago that a storm was a brewing and there would be a protest that would make Florios tiolet paper protest look like a garden party.

From what I've been hearing, it's in the works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home News Tribune Online 01/18/08

By JONATHAN TAMARI
GANNETT STATE BUREAU

TRENTON -- Roughly four of every 10 trucks would leave the New Jersey Turnpike by 2022, and seven of 10 would find ways around Route 440 by then, the year of the sharpest toll increases proposed by Gov. Jon S. Corzine, according to a consultant's
study released Friday.

About three out of every 10 cars would leave the Turnpike by 2022, according to the study by British consultants Steer Davies Gleave. The study was commissioned by Corzine to provide background traffic and revenue information on his plan, but administration officials Friday cautioned that not all projections prove accurate in the long run.

Roughly 20 percent of trucks and 30 percent of cars would leave the Garden State Parkway by 2022, when the last of four 50 percent toll increases would kick in. Heavy
trucks weighing more than 7,000 pounds are prohibited from the parkway above Exit 105.

The findings add ammunition for those mayors and opponents of the plan that have worried that raising tolls would force trucks and cars onto local roads.

Administration officials, who spoke to reporters on the condition of anonymity while
discussing the report, said the study does not take into effect new rules limiting how
much trucks can drive local roads.

Regarding revenues, car and truck drivers would pay nearly $3 billion a year in New Jersey tolls in 2022, up from about $800 million in 2006, according to the study's estimates.

Corzine has called for toll increases that would raise the fees by a combined 800 percent by 2022 in order to cut state debt and fund 75 years of transportation projects. The plan would raise tolls on the Turnpike, Parkway and Atlantic City Expressway and add fees to drive Route 440.

The much sought after study also says that the current toll rates on New Jersey roads, ranging from 2 cents per mile to 6 cents per mile, are below the national average of 9 cents per mile, bolstering Corzine's argument that the roads are underpriced.

Republicans accused the administration of leaving out information included in an earlier draft of the report, which was never released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 05:57 PM

828 posts, read 3,139,789 times
The same was said before the last two toll increases...and the NJ Turnpike is still one of the most traveled roads.
And always will be...

Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,815,150 times
Sure, road use will shrink because people will be moving out of nj!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,760,787 times
My wife and I already pay over 1k year in tolls alone (the majority are for access to NYC but still). Increasing these rates WILL force us to not use the toll roads anywhere near as often or not at all. For the average person who only touch the toll roads 5-10 times a year does it really matter if the NJTPK costs you $3 or $5. Would it kill them to pay $4 instead of $2 to go down the shore on the GSP? No. For the commuters that drive EVERY DAY this is madness.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,940,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
The same was said before the last two toll increases...and the NJ Turnpike is still one of the most traveled roads.
And always will be...
Yep, they said the same when they raised the Lincoln Tunnel toll....more people willl take mass transit or car pool......never happened.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
My wife and I already pay over 1k year in tolls alone (the majority are for access to NYC but still). Increasing these rates WILL force us to not use the toll roads anywhere near as often or not at all. For the average person who only touch the toll roads 5-10 times a year does it really matter if the NJTPK costs you $3 or $5. Would it kill them to pay $4 instead of $2 to go down the shore on the GSP? No. For the commuters that drive EVERY DAY this is madness.
The problem is, for many commuters there's not another viable option, so they'll just suck it up and continue to pay the tolls, regardless of the cost. Think about it- if you lived near Exit 8A and worked in Newark, are you going to stop driving the Turnpike and take 18 and 1 to work? You'll double your commute times just to save a few dollars a day. The government knows that they've got the commuters by the short hairs, so why not raise the tolls?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
i won't use the parkway anymore, but i've got a viable (and shorter mileage) alternative. my case is unique though, i admit that.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i won't use the parkway anymore, but i've got a viable (and shorter mileage) alternative. my case is unique though, i admit that.
There's always the exception, but for probably 90+% of the commuters, there's not a viable alternative- especially if you don't want to increase your commute time substantially.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:21 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,636,215 times
I wouldn't be pissed if they raised it 100-200 percent but 800 percent is going to really , really mess this state up. That cost will be passed down to everybody who buys milk, supplies anything that is delivered to your local stores. We all know the infrastructure of this state is old and needs alot of repairs. Thats a no brainer. I try to avoid the tolls ALREADY sometimes by getting off the Parkway and taking Rt. 1 and 9. Thats to save 2.50. So you can imagine that little stretch of the turnpike will cost 20 bucks to travel. The governor must be nuts if he doesn't think many, many trucks and cars will be flooding the local highways. A solution is cut waistful spending and raise the tolls 100 percent not 800 percent.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,730,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
solution is cut waistful spending and raise the tolls 100 percent not 800 percent.

Something Corslime just doesn't get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey