Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times

Advertisements

Corslime doesn't have a freakin clue on running this state properly.

Not saying that they're the only ones, but the Dems do nothing but tax and spend

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BY TOM HESTER JR.
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER
Tuesday, January 8, 2008

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) _ New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine on Tuesday beseeched state legislators to tackle chronic state fiscal woes by increasing tolls on some of the nation's busiest highways every four years starting in 2010.

Corzine unveiled a proposal during his Tuesday State of the State address to the Legislature to increase tolls 50 percent in 2010, 2014, 2018 and 2022.

The increases would be used to help cut state debt and pay for transportation work, and include adjustments to reflect inflation in the years tolls weren't hiked. After 2022, tolls would increase every four years to also reflect inflation.

Tolls would increase on the Atlantic City Expressway, Garden State Parkway and the New Jersey Turnpike and be added to the 4-mile Route 440 in Middlesex County, which runs from the New Jersey Turnpike to a Staten Island bridge crossing.

"It's not something I want to do," Corzine said. "This proposal is a solution, a solution to restore the state's financial integrity, health and capacity."

Under Corzine's plan, over the next decade, the cost of the average turnpike trip would increase from $1.20 to $5.85, the average parkway trip would rise from 35 cents to $1.60 and the average expressway toll would go from 50 cents to $2.40.

A 35 cent toll would be put on Route 440 in 2010.

Corzine asked lawmakers to approve the plan by mid-March.

The Democratic governor — a former Goldman Sachs chairman — wants to create a nonprofit agency that would manage the toll highways and issue bonds to bring the state a quick, large cash infusion to pay state debt. The bonds would be paid back by the increased tolls.

State debt has doubled since 2000 and makes the state the nation's fourth-most indebted state. The debt consumes about 10 percent of the state budget, a figure that Corzine said will rise in coming years and prevent the state from investing in needs such as health care, urban redevelopment and state colleges and universities.

State bridges also need $13.6 billion in repairs and the state's transportation fund is set to run out of money in 2011.

"It is up to us in this room to change the credit card culture of New Jersey's finances," Corzine said.

The administration estimates the deal could be worth as much as $37.6 billion, helping it pay off as much as $29.6 billion in toll road, transportation, open space and general debt and provide money for road work and a reserve fund, helping save nearly $1 billion annually.

Corzine said tolls were the better option over what would otherwise be major tax increases and budget cuts.

"Pigs will fly over the Statehouse before there is a realistic level of new taxes or spending cuts that can fix this mess," Corzine said.

The governor also proposed new initiatives to control state spending.

He vowed not to increase spending in the budget due July 1 beyond this year's $33.47 billion level.

He also proposed limiting annual spending growth to expected revenue growth and amending the state constitution to require voters approve most state borrowing.

Senate President Richard J. Codey said a fiscal fix is needed and vowed to weigh Corzine's plan.

"We need to kick the tires, look under the hood and give a test to it," said Codey, D-Essex.

But he added, "It's far from certain it's going to pass."

Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts Jr. backed it.

"What I say to those who are critics of the governor's plan: What is your alternative?" Roberts asked.

Senate Minority Leader Tom Kean Jr., R-Union, likened tolls to taxes.

"This will be a massive new tax increase on every citizen," Kean said.

Assemblyman Joe Malone, R-Burlington, said Corzine should ask voters to approve his proposal, and predicted voters would reject it.

Some Democrats also are hesitant.

Assemblyman John Wisniewski, the Assembly Transportation Committee chairman, said he continues to oppose using money earned from highways to pay debt unrelated to transportation.

"Transportation assets should be used exclusively for transportation purposes," said Wisniewski, D-Middlesex.

The AAA Clubs of New Jersey issued the same worry.

"Money from transportation must be used for our vast transportation needs," said its spokeswoman, Stephanie Mensch. "We have serious concerns about the administration's plan."

Businesses also expressed concern.

"We need to look at the financial impact this will have on our companies and whether or not trucks will bypass toll roads and clog our local roads," said Joan Verplanck, the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce president.

The Garden State Parkway has had one toll increase and the New Jersey Turnpike four in the last 50 years. In 1989, parkway tolls increased to 35 cents per toll booth. The last turnpike toll increase was in 2003, a 17 percent hike.

The Parkway is the nation's busiest toll road and the Turnpike the nation's fifth busiest, according to the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association.

The three highways carried 748 million vehicles in 2006; the parkway 428 million, the turnpike 252 million, and the expressway 68 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM

173 posts, read 818,864 times
"State debt has doubled since 2000 and makes the state the nation's fourth-most indebted state. The debt consumes about 10 percent of the state budget, a figure that Corzine said will rise in coming years and prevent the state from investing in needs such as health care, urban redevelopment and state colleges and universities."

I think Corzine inherited this mess; he did not create it. It seems from prior articles that McGreevy shares most of the blame. Regardless, the debt issue is scary and has to be addressed. I support higher gas/road tolls but also think it is mandatory that Corzine reduce state spending and the employee headcount. Sadly, I think Corzine is creating another state agency to oversee these new tolls.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Boat View Post
"State debt has doubled since 2000 and makes the state the nation's fourth-most indebted state. The debt consumes about 10 percent of the state budget, a figure that Corzine said will rise in coming years and prevent the state from investing in needs such as health care, urban redevelopment and state colleges and universities."

I think Corzine inherited this mess; he did not create it. It seems from prior articles that McGreevy shares most of the blame. Regardless, the debt issue is scary and has to be addressed. I support higher gas/road tolls but also think it is mandatory that Corzine reduce state spending and the employee headcount. Sadly, I think Corzine is creating another state agency to oversee these new tolls.
I agree that he didn't create it, but spending and corruption has to stop. Increasing tolls and gas taxes isn't the answer. Those who usually are in favor of higher tolls, don't use them.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I agree that he didn't create it, but spending and corruption has to stop. Increasing tolls and gas taxes isn't the answer. Those who usually are in favor of higher tolls, don't use them.
Plainly stated- I hate it, I use the parkway and turnpike everyday along with the wife, at seperate times as we work different hours. If I lived on Rt.80 and didn't pay a nickle to go to work I would love it. But all kidding aside, the answer is to stop spending and make drastic cuts and you know he's not going to do it. It's election time in 2009 and guess what the toll increase takes place in 2010. Is this well planned or a coincidence. I think not. He's basically screwing our kids but u know what the idiots will vote for him again.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Plainly stated- I hate it use the parkway and turnpike everyday along with the wife in a seperate time as we work different hours. If I lived on Rt.80 and didn't pay a nickle to go to work I would love it. But all kidding aside, the answer is to stop spending and make drastic cuts and you konw hes not going to do it. Its election time in 2009 and guess what the toll increase takes place in 2010. Is this well planned or a coincidence. I think not. He's basically screwing our kids but u know what the idiots will vote for him again.
the problem is that corzslime wants to balance the budget on the backs of only a certain segmment of the population, users of toll roads.

if the state is short of funds instead of taxing auto drivers who use the parkway or turnpike, the state needs to either raise taxes fairly or cut spending until the budget is balanced.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM

81 posts, read 317,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the problem is that corzslime wants to balance the budget on the backs of only a certain segmment of the population, users of toll roads.

if the state is short of funds instead of taxing auto drivers who use the parkway or turnpike, the state needs to either raise taxes fairly or cut spending until the budget is balanced.
where else would you want the funds (needed to balance the budget) to come from ?

I wouldn't mind the idea if (once the deficit was erased) the tolls then reverted to the pre-increase rate.

Christie Whitless gave us a 30% cut in the income tax... that was great, right ? too bad all the loans/bonds that were floated to pay for that, have now come due...

want to cut taxes ? try cutting services -- then see how many people start yelping.

when I look at my property tax bill, I see H U G E amounts of money going to county/municipal gov't ...wouldn't it be great to get the salaries & pensions those teachers/cops/gladhands get ?? their salaries keep going up, along with the prices of everything else, so to them the higher costs/taxes are more easily absorbed.

what, your salary hasn't increased ? why, that's because your company's CEO is getting paid 7 - 8 figures, who the hell are you ?? LOL !

it's a complex problem folks, the solution won't come overnight, and there will be winners & there will be losers.

when Whitless was Gov., auto insurance companies were turning people away, and were threatening to leave the state.

say what you want about McGreevey, but his MAIN campaign promise was to fix the auto insurance mess. and guess what ? HE DID. Rates have gone down, and companies are coming IN to NJ -- I for one never thought I'd see the day.

Corzine's main campaign promise was to reduce property taxes -- HE DID. I got my nice fat 20% rebate check. the guy didn't get to be head honcho at GS because of poor financial decisions, give him a f-ing chance.

the bottom line is that there are too many people living in NJ. a large population, in such a small geographic area, needs LOTS of service & upkeep, and that money has to come from somewhere.

so if these hikes make people leave NJ, that's a good thing IMNSHO.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
[quote=John_G;2458504]where else would you want the funds (needed to balance the budget) to come from ?

I wouldn't mind the idea if (once the deficit was erased) the tolls then reverted to the pre-increase rate.

Christie Whitless gave us a 30% cut in the income tax... that was great, right ? too bad all the loans/bonds that were floated to pay for that, have now come due...

want to cut taxes ? try cutting services -- then see how many people start yelping.

when I look at my property tax bill, I see H U G E amounts of money going to county/municipal gov't ...wouldn't it be great to get the salaries & pensions those teachers/cops/gladhands get ?? their salaries keep going up, along with the prices of everything else, so to them the higher costs/taxes are more easily absorbed.

what, your salary hasn't increased ? why, that's because your company's CEO is getting paid 7 - 8 figures, who the hell are you ?? LOL !

it's a complex problem folks, the solution won't come overnight, and there will be winners & there will be losers.

when Whitless was Gov., auto insurance companies were turning people away, and were threatening to leave the state.

say what you want about McGreevey, but his MAIN campaign promise was to fix the auto insurance mess. and guess what ? HE DID. Rates have gone down, and companies are coming IN to NJ -- I for one never thought I'd see the day.

Corzine's main campaign promise was to reduce property taxes -- HE DID. I got my nice fat 20% rebate check. the guy didn't get to be head honcho at GS because of poor financial decisions, give him a f-ing chance.

I don't know what your smoking but my property taxes went up almost 5 thousand dollars and this dirtbag sends me a check for 1 thousand right before election day. NO HE HAS NOT CUT PROPERTY TAXES ONE BIT< THEY HAVE BEEN RAISED ALONG WITH OUR STATE SALES TAX. HE HAD A CHANCE .

Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
You dont know how grateful I feel to have gotten out of that place. What is going on up there? How do you all afford it anymore? $15,000/yr property taxes and all that corruption. Governers who should set an example yet drag race on the GSP with no consequence. Gay sex in the State House on business hours. Your insurance points system and the cost of car insurance. The cost of an average home is so far out of reach for young people.

What's the TPK going to cost now to do the full length like $30 something? How do you all do it? I guess stress can grow on people but geez. Is it all worth it?

I do miss lots of things about the place I was born and lived 38 years but I sure dont miss living there. There is an America outside those Jersey borders. You would not believe how good it gets either.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I do miss lots of things about the place I was born and lived 38 years but I sure dont miss living there. There is an America outside those Jersey borders. You would not believe how good it gets either.
funny then, that you think back so fondly of NJ

BTW, have you ever traveled on those other toll-roads of the USA that you allude to ?

NJ has had the lowest toll rates in the country.

Last edited by John_G; 01-08-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I don't know what your smoking but my property taxes went up almost 5 thousand dollars and this dirtbag sends me a check for 1 thousand right before election day. NO HE HAS NOT CUT PROPERTY TAXES ONE BIT< THEY HAVE BEEN RAISED ALONG WITH OUR STATE SALES TAX. HE HAD A CHANCE .
genius, compare your '07 tax bill to your '06 tax bill...
then compare your '06 tax bill to your '05 tax bill...
and so on...

look at the county portion of your total tax bill when you make those comparisons.

then get back to us.

home rule is the root cause of the tax problem, and not one municipality wants to give it up.

regionalization of services would go a long way to help the tax burden, not to mention vouchers for public schooling.

am I saying the Dems have all the answers ? no.

but the Repugs don't even want to acknowledge that there are problems, they're too busy trying to make sure their rich con$tituent$ are being coddled...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey