Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times

Advertisements

MarketWatch.com Story

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Prices continue to fall so I guess all is good in real estate world!!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Not to mention sales down only 11.5 percent year over year. I guess things are looking great. What happens when we actually being positive in terms of year over year? Do we all get a free get rich card?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,776 times
Interesting news and I think it is a good sign for the housing industry.

Granted, prices are still going down, but a couple of months ago, I made an analogy of the housing market and an airplane being in a dive.

Altitude = prices
Engine thrust = sales

In the middle of a dive, even though the engines are on and you are starting to generate thrust, there will be a lag time when the plane is generating sufficient thrust but altitude is still falling. Soon, altitude will adjust, but it will lag when the engines start working again.

The engines are working, the altitude just needs to catch up.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Volume increase is a useless indicator unless you pair it with Sale Price decrease. If houses are priced correctly, they will sell. If home owners are stuck in 2006-7 prices they have a long way to go. Just go by NAR's data and you will see YoY prices are down 18% in NJ. If seller's are pricing their houses 15-20% below, they will sell fast.

I am negotiating with this buyer who has listed his house 4% below 2006-7 peak. He is not going to see more traffic at his open houses unless he gets realistic.

link - http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/dbf34f804e1087cfb8eeffec21680fb0/REL09Q1S.XLS?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=dbf34f804e1087cfb 8eeffec21680fb0 (broken link)

Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM

364 posts, read 826,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post

Granted, prices are still going down, but a couple of months ago, I made an analogy of the housing market and an airplane being in a dive.

Altitude = prices
Engine thrust = sales

In the middle of a dive, even though the engines are on and you are starting to generate thrust, there will be a lag time when the plane is generating sufficient thrust but altitude is still falling. Soon, altitude will adjust, but it will lag when the engines start working again.

Good analogy. And what will happen if the interest rate goes up%??!!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Florida via North East it seemed,

Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post

Altitude = prices
Engine thrust = sales

It's just supply and demand, as prices fall the demand increases and the supply decreases.

Things were moving in ways that don't make sense - prices and demand falling at the same time - because the demand curve shifted down as people woke up to the fact that there was a huge bubble in home prices. And the supply curve shifted right as people couldn't make their mortgage payments.

So now we follow the demand curve down, with decreasing prices and increasing sales until we overshoot due to the excess inventory, then bounce back to the equilibrium price.

Unless the economy takes another sharp "unexpected" leg down, then we repeat the process again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey