Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

It is unfortunately who you know. Above people hit it on the head.

Teacher jobs are in demand in NJ due to good pay and insane (but now dropping) benefits. NJ is not growing population wise. Combine this with a low probability of layoffs.

Unfortunately you head to other states. Jobs in many states are available... at lower to much lower pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
"NJ teaching certification. Is their a fast, alternative certification to get?"

Perhaps rudimentary skills in English might be of some help.

Just a thought.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,356 times
I went through the alternate route program in NJ and became certified. It is completely useless. Becoming a teacher is not what you know but who you know (unless you want to work in the abbott districts and make nothing). The course took about 2 months over the summer. I sent out some resumes, etc but nothing came about. Good luck as its your typical union job - get in through family, stay there forever and get tons of money, and you can still slack off and not get fired! What an occupation!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:01 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
I went through the alternate route program in NJ and became certified. It is completely useless. Becoming a teacher is not what you know but who you know (unless you want to work in the abbott districts and make nothing). The course took about 2 months over the summer. I sent out some resumes, etc but nothing came about. Good luck as its your typical union job - get in through family, stay there forever and get tons of money, and you can still slack off and not get fired! What an occupation!
It's still plenty hard to get a job in the Abbotts. Not quite as hard as in the burbs, but still very difficult. Also, Abbott districts are among the highest paid in the state (especially the larger northern districts).

If you really want to teach in NJ, you can't be picky. I subbed in the burbs for five years, and couldn't get in there. I supposedly had a connection in a large Abbott district and I still couldn't get in there. I finally got a job in another Abbott because I hit it off with the vice-principal who interviewed me. I'm still there.

And don't believe the "slacking off" stuff. You will be micromanaged to death, especially in the Abbotts.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
Yes, you'll need to start subbing. That's how you meet people.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,815 times
Thanks everyone!!
I guess I'll try to finish my NY certification, more options that way.
I'll move to NJ (Hoboken) early next yr, subbing was definitely something I had already thought about.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 AM

168 posts, read 424,774 times
Funny that someone brought this post up as I forgot about even making it. Although it has been pretty informative from what you guys have said. Even though I am accepting a new job here in Northern Virginia, I am considering moving back to North Jersey to try to teach next school year (Florida is my first choice but not sure if that state will be recovering anytime soon, and I really like NJ, well except in the winter) and this has had a lot of good information. I do know some people in the school districts and private schools that are teachers so I will try to see if I can start networking. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
yes, a very funny joke.
Resident idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey