Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,534,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
School Districts are required to post positions even though they plan to hire internally or already have someone in mind.
really, so thats why they have those huge sections of all teaching jobs! What a shame. Thank you for the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM

119 posts, read 233,410 times
Quote:
School Districts are required to post positions even though they plan to hire internally or already have someone in mind.
Yes, this is true of other fields too. They post these jobs because they're required to and also as a safety net should someone leave unexpectedly (they can have a new hire ready to step in). HR will even interview applicants to get a feel for the marketplace. It's standard practice.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
can you also tell me what the heck jokes like this have to do with the OP question? Is it just be silly day?? Like I feel about the hillbilles. Ohh I get it now. Its be silly day. Ok I hate hillbillies!!! IM IN!
jokes about teachers having relationships with students are very "in" now. they are appropriate pretty much anywhere.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,957,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Yes, NJ does have an Alternate Route Program, which you can learn more about here: http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/alternate.htm

But we warned, as others have said, the teaching field is saturated in NJ. I have been attempting to go alternate route for almost a year & unable to land any position other than substituting.

Best of luck to you though.
How about in science for Alternate Route?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM

861 posts, read 2,720,556 times
Quote:
true story. its the law here. they post for positions that have all ready been filled. they have to. half the time they don't even review the applications received, since 99.9% the positions are all ready filled.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,534,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
jokes about teachers having relationships with students are very "in" now. they are appropriate pretty much anywhere.
ok I got you. Now it makes perfect sense.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 PM

861 posts, read 2,720,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
How about in science for Alternate Route?

From what I have heard, math & science are the fields that are the most "in demand", if you define "in demand" as lowering your chances from one in a million to one in ten thousand. Unfortunately, its really more about who you know, not what you know. Teaching positions tend to go to friends & relatives of people on the boards, etc. Its very political.

I would recommend doing what I am doing, though as I said before, it has not lead to a permanent position just yet. Get your certifications, start subbing in a district you like, make a name & reputation for yourself, and get to know people. Then just sit and wait for something to open up after you have "paid your dues". Hopefully the pay off is worth it. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,982,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
I am considering getting a New Jersey teaching certification. The things I have in my favor are two certificates from two other states. The things I have in my favor are two certificates from two other states. What I'm not sure of is if I need to have additional testing or credentials. Does New Jersey offer an alternative certification program? I would like to get a position teaching in North Jersey and I am familiar with the area as I used to live in Newark, NJ. I have a job in DC as a coach at a university but it pays next to nothing. I was trying to go to Florida, but their school system has the problem of not hiring anyone right now, among others. So if I'm going to live somewhere cold it would be the NYC metro.
Well.......if you can draw that figure on the back of the matchbook cover exceptionally well you might be able to get a provisional art teaching certificate.....otherwise.....you have to go to college for 4 years like everyone else.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,818 times
HELP!!!!!
I am currently getting my MA in Bilingual Childhood Education in NYC, almost finished (undergrad not in Education).
I need to know what are my options as far as getting certified in NJ (I am not certified in NY). I've searched NJ certification site and there is no information regarding my situation. I would like to know what is the easiest way of getting certified in NJ when you're out of state, and have not yet completed MA, and have no actual certification in any other states. Would getting certified in NY make the transition a bit easier? Is the alternative route practically going to school all over again? That doesn't seem the best option in my case since i'm already getting my MA.
Help please!!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,533,383 times
I think Jersey City State is one of the major hubs for certification in NJ. Check them out. They can tell you which courses you need to take.

You'll probably need to take NJ Curriculum Frameworks courses, for a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey